#1 Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/200807...y-011ccfa.html

This is a bit scary for veg*n men!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

wow....if that is true, if I was guy I would almost instantly swear off the soy...That being said, I wonder if it is long term effects? or just short term drop....

(....I can actually see alot of guys who would be glad to have less of the risky little soldiers....lmao)
#3 Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I'm actually pretty happy about reading that. I don't want to make babies so I'm fine with having less of the little buggers to be concerned about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

The study was based on 99 men surveyed in Boston. Of those, they found a few who ate huge amounts of soy per day (4 servings) and were obese. The low sperm count was attributed to soy as opposed to the clear evidence of an unbalanced diet and lack of exercise.

Another poorly executed ani-soy hit piece no doubt funded by the meat and dairy councils.
#5 Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Well said MrFalafel. I have also read that caffeine significantly lowers sperm counts in men.
#6 Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, what happened here in Japan? Everywhere I look, I see kids. And men eating soy.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#7 Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Hah, yeah, that's very scientific! Let's ignore 1/5th of the world's population (China) and base our research on 99 Bostonians.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 07-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

The study was based on 99 men surveyed in Boston. Of those, they found a few who ate huge amounts of soy per day (4 servings) and were obese. The low sperm count was attributed to soy as opposed to the clear evidence of an unbalanced diet and lack of exercise.

Another poorly executed ani-soy hit piece no doubt funded by the meat and dairy councils.

Thanks! I didn't realise it was so poorly done, was just passing on the info I happened to see. That explains it then...
#9 Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Beginner

According to the BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7519459.stm), all of the men were attending a fertility clinic, which further limits the interpretation of the results. I don't think the study was neccessarily biased and funded by meat and dairy industries, and if you read what the researchers themselves say about their work (rather than the spin the media is putting on it), the conclusions are rather different. The researchers do acknowledge the high consumption of soy in many parts of Asia (higher than the maximum in any of the volunteers), and this forms a large part of their discussion (the full paper is available for free here: http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/den243v1).

What is interesting to me is their suggestion that its not the high soy per se that is causing the reduced sperm count, but the combination of being obese and eating lots of soy: they speculate that this is what explains the difference between asian populations and their subject group. The message I get from reading the paper (rather than the media coverage) is that being obese is bad news for your sperm count, rather than soy on its own being bad for your sperm count. The paper is pretty well-written and I'd urge anyone interested to read it, rather than relying on the media coverage (now that I come to think of it, this is true for almost all science coverage in the popular media).
#10 Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Ex-*****

A friend of mine who eats a good amount of soya products had a sample analysed and the results were perfectly normal. Just saying.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#11 Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Asians don't eat A LOT of soy. I lived there and ate in homes and with families. They occasionally eat WHOLE soy beans (endamamme) or have FERMENTED soy such as miso soup or tofu put in a dish with vegetables.

American standard servings of soy is much much greater - just think of all the soy milk, soy lattes, soy shakes, soy burgers with soy cheese and soy chips that we eat... sometimes all in one day. That far exceeds the amounts eaten in Asia on a daily basis.
#12 Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Bof
Banned

The other side of the story:

'Chavarro’s study conflicts with the large body of U.S. government and National Institute of Health-sponsored human and primate research, in which controlled amounts of isoflavones from soy were fed and no effect on quantity, quality or motility of sperm were observed. Upon hearing of Chavarro’s findings, Dr. Stephen Barnes, a pharmacologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, noted “This study is the first to find this correlation. The research on soy in men has not found a negative impact on male hormones but rather has suggested a preventive effect in prostate cancer.” '
#13 Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiynwah View Post

Asians don't eat A LOT of soy. I lived there and ate in homes and with families. They occasionally eat WHOLE soy beans (endamamme) or have FERMENTED soy such as miso soup or tofu put in a dish with vegetables.

American standard servings of soy is much much greater - just think of all the soy milk, soy lattes, soy shakes, soy burgers with soy cheese and soy chips that we eat... sometimes all in one day. That far exceeds the amounts eaten in Asia on a daily basis.

i agree with Kiynwah! i think it's important to eat whole as much as possible.. we need to stop thinking that man-made is better than what's natural & whole.

but i do believe the main reason the men's fertility issues are more to do with obesity with the fat cells producing more female hormones (this is hardly news!) and it's possible the soy just exacerbates the issue! did the article expound to actual amounts of soy these men were ingesting ?

i'm curious, for all of you who eat Tofu -- how long does the whole block (16 oz) last you? how much silk are you drinking on average ?

I drink on avg. 1 cup of silk, and the block can last anywhere from 1 week (minimum) to 2 (i think longer, it goes bad..)

Essentially when I do eat tofu..it's about 1 to 2 oz/day
#14 Old 07-27-2008, 01:51 PM

One tofu block never lasts a week for me. Maybe about 4 or 5 days. And if you're worried about too much soy milk, try almond or rice. I usually use almond milk, and then only on cereal.

I ask this just having eaten one of gardenburger's BBQ riblets: Is there something about soy burgers and mock eats that makes them bad for you when compared to tofu or soy sauce?
#15 Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM

#16 Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM

So does it really lower spercount !!!!
#17 Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiynwah View Post

So does it really reduce spercount!?
#18 Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993veganteen View Post

So does it really reduce spercount!?

If you eat way more than the recommended serving amount for an extended period of time, it's possible. Moderation is the key, just like practically everything else.
#19 Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillibean View Post

If you eat way more than the recommended serving amount for an extended period of time, it's possible. Moderation is the key, just like practically everything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page