Panic Attacks and Vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm a 14 year old female, and I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year now, but recently, I've been having panic attacks, and I'm worried they might be connected to my vegetarianism. I had my first one in February of 2008, and another one in March, I think. This summer, it's gotten worse though. In the time span of 6 weeks(mid May to mid July) I've had 3 full blown attacks. I'm worried that since my family is getting out kitchen remodeled and I don't have a stove to cook on, that I'm not getting the right amount of nutrition because I can't cook my food in anything but a microwave and a toaster oven. The kitchen should be finished in a few weeks, which is good, but I need to work this out now.

It would be great if I could get some advice on getting through this and maybe some no-cook recipes that would give me some more protein and vitamin B12. Thanks!

PS- I'm new to the forum(as in, I just joined today) so if I screw up, sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

They are not connected to being vegetarian. Maybe from the stress of worrying about nutrition but not directly from being vegetarian. You should speak to your parents about it and see your doctor. They can help relieve the attacks or find a cause (if there is one, oftentimes there is not a cause)
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

It could be that they are triggered by being introduced to things that are outside of your comfort level. I'm assuming that thinking about the future, school, peer pressures, dating and a lot of other things-- zits, clothes, being cool or not would be on the mind of someone your age. This is the perfect time to get into the idea of being emotionally resilient-- being able to maintain an even mental condition, and swing with the punches.

caffeine increases panic attacks. Any soda coffee or tea (except herbal tea) should be eliminated since they might be the cause, and also try chamomile tea. Valerian is wonderful for taming panic, but if you take too much you begin to smell, and valerian does not smell very good-- sort of dirty sock awful.

I'm the type who says don't go to a shrink or doctor unless it is absolutely necessary, because in my opinion, they are all about getting a patient hooked on drugs. If it is "That bad" you may not have a choice, but once per month does not seem like anything that you can't live through. Just try to find out if there is a cause to it-- like try to find out what set you off, then, next time that stimulus sets you off again you may be better to deal with it. For example, you could have been thinking about finding a job, or going to college without realizing it.

A crock pot, and rice cooker could be good inclusions to your kitchen though, so would an electric fry-pan or Wok You can find these things cheap at any goodwill. I went though all winter without a stove, and my sister went for 5 years without one.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Definitely talk to your parents and a doctor. At least have some bloodwork done.
#5 Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really understand why people automatically assume their new health problem could be caused by vegetarianism. It doesn't make any sense to me...
#6 Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

I don't really understand why people automatically assume their new health problem could be caused by vegetarianism. It doesn't make any sense to me...

It's a new change so when people notice things, that's the first thing they jump to.
#7 Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

This is the perfect time to get into the idea of being emotionally resilient-- being able to maintain an even mental condition, and swing with the punches.

caffeine increases panic attacks. Any soda coffee or tea (except herbal tea) should be eliminated since they might be the cause, and also try chamomile tea. Valerian is wonderful for taming panic, but if you take too much you begin to smell, and valerian does not smell very good-- sort of dirty sock awful.

Great ideas!

I think so many people with anxiety and panic issues don't realize that they CAN learn new ways to cope. I have so many friends who claim that panic and anxiety basically control their lives, I sympathize, but it gets old too because it is something they can do something about - (maybe I just need new friends).

That said, I do think a 14-year old with these sorts of concerns about panic attacks should probably seek out a health-care professional however.
#8 Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't believe there is any connection between vegetarianism and panic attacks. They are very treatable though with therapy.

I also wouldn't worry so much about developing malnutrition in the amount of time it takes to remodel a kitchen. People are pretty resilient. Here are some meals you could try...

Microwave a bake potato and some vegetarian chili to top it with. Top that with some grated cheddar (soy or moo)

You can buy microwavable brown rice. Heat that up and toss it with a drained and rinsed can of beans. Add some microwaved veggies for more nutrition (you can microwave fresh veggies in a covered casserole dish, not air tight though, or in those plastic bag things they sell at the supermarket).

Canned soup like Minestrone or Lentil soup is very nutritious

Vegetable sandwiches with whole grain bread, hummus, avocado, veggies

French bread pizza in the toaster oven and a green salad with some nuts and dressing

Oatmeal cooked in the microwave in the milk of your choice with some fruit and nuts.

There are also many choices for vegetarian microwave meals, and veggie burger type things as well, though they'd be more expensive.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Hi Shadow!

Likely the panic attacks have nothing to do with turning veg. Look back on the times and place of attack, how well rested you were, what triggered it, and what calmed you down.

Topmost , as stated above, eliminate caffeine and all stimulants. Those Redbull/ Rockstar type energy drinks will get get your heart racing for sure. Walk, 2 -4 miles a day if you can, listening to your favorite music, or to the birds and the wind, if you can go someplace to hike. Exercise and enough sleep have help build a reserve that you can draw from when you don't feel in control.

Especially now, at 14. You are changing from child to adult, and everything is crazy. If anything, turning veg is one of the best things you can do for yourself. You will live a longer and healthier life.

The kitchen will be done soon, a little bump in the road. Burritos and salad for a week or two ain't going to hurt. Stick to your sprouts with the folks, and read up on nutrition.

You will thrive.
#10 Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 AM

Hi, I'm new =)

I just registered to say you that you must take care of eating enough. When your glucose level drop from a certain limit your body release adrenaline, with can lead to a panic attack (and, very often, it does).

Even if you are not hungry, when you feel like you are going to become crazy, go and eat something just to make sure that you are not starving without knowing. If you can't cook, then just eat bread (in fact, I do that when I'm getting nervous). Anyway, at that age the anxiety is pretty normal, so don't worry too much

PD: My mother tongue is not English so please say me if something don't make sense
#11 Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 AM

Are you taking a B12 supplement?

Have you ever had anemia in the past?
#12 Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine started when I was 14. I inherited them from my mother and also trauma. Have you have something upsetting happen you or someone you are close to? They can be treated through couseling or medication. I know they are scay. ((huggs))
#13 Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 AM

Please don't take medication for your attacks except as a last resort. There are coping techniques that you can learn. Plus exercising regularly. I often start jogging around the house if I feel one coming on. I've had anxiety attacks for 17 years. It was very scary when they first started but the medicines did not help and just caused more problems. I was young like you when mine started. It is really important to learn how to deal with them without medication. You don't want to be on a pill the rest of your life for something like this.
#14 Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Vegans get twice the protein they need and too much is very bad for health. Read this article on it: Protein Take a B-12 supplement. It costs $5 a year.

Normal living in our society destroys mental health unless you do things to improve it. See this site to help it: Anxiety Disorder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page