Lamictal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone here have much experience with lamictal for bipolar disorder? Specifically, I'm wondering what side-effects people may have experienced. I just went up to 200 mgs and I seem to be sleepy all the time and have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. I'm hoping it will go away as I get used to the dose, because it really does seem to be helping with my depression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM

While I don't have experience your drug, I do know a thing or two about antidepressants/bipolars in general. I find that extreme sleepiness is not uncommon.

I had a friend who couldn't get out of bed for 6 days after changing/starting a med. My mother used to be on Wellbutrin, and all she did was sleep after getting home from work... honestly, 14+ hours a day. I changed from one med to another at one point and I couldn't stay awake- I lost a job because I kept nodding off at work, and I didn't want to disclose to my boss (becasue he was anti-therapy, mental illness is just weakness and laziness type A-hole!).

Anyway, sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't. My friend adjusted and sleeps exactly 8 hours a night now. My mom switched drugs and is WAY more active. I stopped taking my meds (for many reasons...) and that all went away for me.

Talk to your doctor, every drug effects people differently.
#3 Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have. I took it for a week and stopped it and asked to be placed on something else.

Drowsiness is a normal side affect of many medications, but Lamictal is just not good for treating the depressive episodes in comparison to other drugs plus it sent me to the hospital for chest pain.

Now I take Abillify and Topomax, in addition to Klonapin and Paxil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the input. Lamictal is the first drug that's ever worked for me, as being bipolar the other antidepressants made me manic (prescribed before the doctor realized I was bipolar and not just depressed). For that reason I'm reluctant to stop it, and the sleepiness is not debilitating. I just wanted to know if it might go away once I got used to the dosage...
#5 Old 07-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Then you might have to get just have to get adjusted to the sleepiness. I am more depressive than manic so I need stronger meds for depression.
#6 Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
ICU
Beginner

Lamictal is actually an antiepiletic medicaton. Using it to treat bipolar is an off label use, sort of like Depakote. Drowsiness is on of the more common side effects. Other common side effects include dizziness and GI upset. Taking Lamictal with food or milk may decrease the GI upset (Karch, 2004).

Karch, A. (2004). 2004 Lippincott's nursing drug guide.Philadephia: Lippincott,

Williams & Wilkins.

Faith not fear, hope not worry
#7 Old 07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, GI upset. That explains some things...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page