Flushed After Eating an Apple? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Hi guys....I'm a recovering low-carber. Actually, I've been trying to thread my way to lose weight but drop meat.

Anyway ...I grab a granny smith apple today - and next thing I know I am flushed and sweaty after eating it. Lasts about 2 minutes ....then I'm normal.

Anyone ever has a sugar reaction like that?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2008, 12:19 AM

hmm, nope. Can't say that I have. Have you ever had a reaction like that before?
#3 Old 07-08-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyjamie View Post

hmm, nope. Can't say that I have. Have you ever had a reaction like that before?

I used to be pretty heavy - and I'd get that kind of reaction after lunch. However, I was a former Atkins devotee - and one thing I noticed was that it suddenly went away. I haven't had anything like that in years - but there it was. It was like a Niacin flush - but just after eating an apple.

I wondered if it was somethign to do w/the sugar content of a GS apple or if it had to do w/being new to a plant-based diet.

I dunno - but it was pretty odd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM

Hi,

Sorry, But i can't you help very much because I am not any professional in this field but it is common sense to eat every fruit after the wash.

So, use your some common sense & ask some sense full question.

I hope you have some sense full question for us.

BEST OF LUCK
#5 Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTHEWS View Post

Hi,

Sorry, But i can't you help very much because I am not any professional in this field but it is common sense to eat every fruit after the wash.

So, use your some common sense & ask some sense full question.

I hope you have some sense full question for us.

BEST OF LUCK

I found the OP's question made sense.. what I don't understand is why you assume they didn't wash their fruit and that their question doesn't make sense.

Anyway, to the OP: it's possible it was the apple, though fruit has quite a low glycemic index--I screwed myself up (not via low-carb, but similar ridiculusness) and my body began to act as if i were pre-diabetic (all the symptoms, not just one or two) but even then I could eat most fruit really easily (apples included. It was pineapple and watermelon that I needed to moderate.)

Anyway--If this happens again I would perhaps avoid eating too many apples for a little while, it could be that its something other than the carbs in them that's affecting you. Wait until you've got your low-carb thing handled before experimenting with food.
#6 Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

oh my gosh! I thought it was only me!! how crazy !
#7 Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

lol... again though, apples weren't an issue and it was all the symptoms that is: i'd seize up or at least be nauseous if I had anything with a high glycemic index, i'd become woozy/breifly black out if I didnt eat for too long/ i had to drink a LOT (6L a day easily)/I had to pee constantly, and so forth.

So while i definately agree that wierd diets can screw you up, I'm still not sure why apple. :P Could be you have an apple allergy.. my sister does.
#8 Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Beanitarian

OP, have you been checked for diabetes and hypoglycemia?

(I don't understand anything that MATTHEWS said either, but my guess is English is his second language and he thought "flushed after" meant the fruit wasn't washed before eating. Not very "sense full".)

ETA: MATTHEWS other posts are equally as..um…entertaining? MATTHEWS, are you just posting random stuff so you can publicize your web site? (See his siggy.)

Quote:

I don’t have so much idea regarding this subject. Just I suggest you to take steps accordingly.

Quote:

You are not clear with your thoughts, will you give more information. So I can help you out in this matter.

Quote:

You have done a good question, it’s really interesting. If you get any good reply, so please let me know. So I’ll also get some good idea.

Beanitarian.
#9 Old 07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Beginner

I have allergies to a lot of dif fruits and veggies (weird cuzz I'm vegan, but as long as they're cooked the proteins I'm allergic to are cooked away). It could very well be a histamine reaction to the apple if you have not had it in your system for so long. I know that I didn't eat oranges for the longest time because I tried eating locally grown foods (BOston doesn't have much of a variety year round), and now when I like them I have a frickin citrus allergy.

Do you have digestive problems after eating them? Or just the flushed feeling?
#10 Old 07-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Beginner

That is pretty strange. I do wonder and worry sometimes about whether the pesticides can sink into the flesh of the fruit. Idk, scrub & peel one, eat it and report back, sparky!
#11 Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiethinker View Post

Hi guys....I'm a recovering low-carber. Actually, I've been trying to thread my way to lose weight but drop meat.

Anyway ...I grab a granny smith apple today - and next thing I know I am flushed and sweaty after eating it. Lasts about 2 minutes ....then I'm normal.

Anyone ever has a sugar reaction like that?

Thanks.

The question i have is if this is a new thing for you? My mother actually gets flushed from eating fresh apples (only).. however with her it's always been that way since she was a kid. I'm sure it's nothing serious, probably a slight allergic reaction. My mom gets rosy cheeks and maybe a slight sweat.
#12 Old 03-08-2018, 04:14 PM

I also have that reaction from eating green apples. I also get it from pineapple and oranges.
#13 Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ruthwfortunato
I'm so susprised this happens with many ppl.
Never heard about it before.
#14 Old 04-29-2018, 08:16 AM

i was just looking this up. i dont have any special exclusion diet, except for doing my best to stay away from added or un-natural sugar. i try to cut back on carby snacks and breakfasts but when i try to eat fruit i get a flushed feeling for a few minutes. strawberries and pineapple especially. if i eat too much fresh pineapple i'll get a bit of burning sensation in my mouth. i cant eat grapefruit at all, my stomach cant handle it, or the cara cara oranges because they are pink inside. the pink citrus kills me, along with too many tomatoes, so thats a lycopene thing. but strawberries and pineapple dont bother my stomach, just make my face feel like its going to sweat. i havent eaten apples in a while. i'll have to see if they do it too. honestly i prefer apples in a pie LOL. i really love the idea of eating fruit and it all smells so good and is so pretty but it seems my body doesn't agree.

i do have allergies to a lot of nature (no food allergies that showed up on the allergy test, just environmental things). but its possible that having so many allergies would make my body react in a much smaller way to some foods.
#15 Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 AM

I was simply looking this into, i do not have any exceptional rejection slim down, aside from doing my best to avoid included or unnatural sugar, i endeavor to curtail carbs tidbits and breakfasts yet when i attempt to eat organic product i get a flushed inclination for a couple of minutes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 AM

I personally also experience this. I have been curious if it could be a slight allergy. I found that few other things make me feel this flush, sweaty, hot feeling in my face. Raw Garlic & green apples do this to me and I recently found that many people have this exact reaction from powdered supplements like preworkout. Often very high in vitamin B3 niacin is present in these foods as well. The same reactions the same vitamin. I see a relation. I still can’t tell you exactly why B3 does that but I know it’s a common reaction among others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in