HELP! My bones! (Conctraceptive shot) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

So, yesterday I went to my doctor and got a nice little shot in my arm as extra protection against pregnancy.

As I'm walking out of the office, I'm reading the little paper with the drug information and it says it causes significant bone loss!

"Prolonged use of Depo-Provera may result in loss of significant bone mineral density, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. This risk is more likely for those who have been taking it for longer than 2 years, particularly when other risk factors for osteoporosis exist, such as family history and chronic alcohol and/or tobacco use. Although there are no studies to benefit its use, it is advised that all women on Depo-Provera get adequate calcium and Vitamin D (through diet and/or supplements) to help prevent osteoporosis."

I bring it up with my boyfriend, and he tells me his mom used to be on the shot and now she has the bones of an 80 year old woman! Now he tells me this!

What do you guys think? Is it worth the risk? If I take calcium and vitamin D supplements will I be OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I was on the shot for about 2 years. I used to love it!! No periods, NO CRAMPS, I never had to remember to take a pill everyday. My bones are great and I've never been much of a milk drinker either (cows milk or soy milk). Unfortunately, I aqquired hypothyroidism a few years ago and gained about 60 lbs (Boo!! Why couldn't I get freaking HYPERthyroidism??) and you're way more likely to gain weight if you're over 140...which I am.
#3 Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Why don't you do weight-bearing exercise to increase bone density? It's the best way to take care of your bones & stave off osteoporosis IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post

What do you guys think? Is it worth the risk? If I take calcium and vitamin D supplements will I be OK?

It's not worth the risk to me, especially when there are other options for birth control.

I have known people with brittle bones and osteoporosis... It's something I definitely want to avoid if I can.
#5 Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

I was on the shot for about 2 years. I used to love it!! No periods, NO CRAMPS, I never had to remember to take a pill everyday. My bones are great and I've never been much of a milk drinker either (cows milk or soy milk). Unfortunately, I aqquired hypothyroidism a few years ago and gained about 60 lbs (Boo!! Why couldn't I get freaking HYPERthyroidism??) and you're way more likely to gain weight if you're over 140...which I am.

How do you know your bones are great? Isn't osteoparosis something that shows up in your later years, and from your picture you look quite young.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page