Supplements? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering if I really need to take supplements. I bought Freeda's multivitamin, iron, calcium and B12, but they are so nasty (mutlivitamin and calcium) that I hate taking them. I drink tons of Silk Soymilk, which is heavily fortified, and try to follow the vegan food pyramid as laid out in Becoming Vegan. So, should I take the vitamins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Banned

do you feel healthy? if so, i'd say don't take them. it sounds like you pay attention to what you eat so you shouldn't worry too much. certainly you're getting enough calcium and b12 if you drink a lot of silk's soymilk. you may just want to keep track of how much iron and maybe omega 3's you're getting to make sure.
#3 Old 10-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive been putting ground flax seeds in my smoothies. I wonder what else I can put it in..... What else can I eat besides flax for o3fa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM

If you drink 3 glasses of soy milk daily, no you dont need anything else. If you drink less, then investigate to make sure you're covering calcium and B12.

Most nuts have omega 3 in them; walnuts being the best choice. You don't need many - 3tbsp or so.
#5 Old 10-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Banned

i eat lifestream's hemp plus waffles almost everyday for breakfast, they have 1500 mg of omega 3's.. i think flax is by far the best source of it though so it sounds like you're doing well
#6 Old 10-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrest View Post

i eat lifestream's hemp plus waffles almost everyday for breakfast, they have 1500 mg of omega 3's.. i think flax is by far the best source of it though so it sounds like you're doing well

where do you get those waffles?
#7 Old 10-26-2003, 05:44 PM
Banned

i get them at whole foods. i know the hemp plus waffles are vegan but i'm not sure if all their waffles are. btw, they also have flax plus, soy plus, hemp plus, mesa sunrise, and other waffles. very delicious..

http://www.naturespath.com/products/

click on waffles, you should see the six kinds at the bottom..
#8 Old 10-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

The vitamin which is critical is B12. See that you have a good, reliable source. Others you might substitute when you have a defiency. I would take iron only if I had a detected deficiency.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#9 Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I put ground flaxseeds/meal in anything I can think of - pancakes, shakes, on salads... I also try to down a tablespoon of flax oil now and then (yuck). I buy walnuts occasionally and snack on a few or sprinkle them over salads. I drink enriched soymilk or rice milk to get my other nutrients.

I got my iron tested when I was pregnant last spring (am a vegan) and they were fine. Lots of veggie foods are a great source of iron.

I tried the hemp waffles, they're good (a big different texture than regular waffles), but I'm trying overall to eat less processed frozen foods, so I make myself pancakes when in the mood (like this morning). I can find those waffles at my local health food store, at Whole Foods, and at Byerlys.

I myself take a multi-vitamin supplement occasionally as I plan to get pregnant again, but I really don't think I need to, I try to eat foods with all these nutrients in, or enriched with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page