Soy Estrogen? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

My fiance wants to go vegetarian (or at least start eating less seafood. He is a pescetarian (sp)) but is worried about protein intake. I mentioned tofu and soy products and he is wary to try them since he's heard soy contains plant estrogen. He's afraid it will mess with his hormones and cause him to have mood swings. Apparently one of his friends experienced this and stopped consuming soy because of it.

Any information on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 PM

I've been looking into this a bit as well; but I really don't think that it'll do anything to anyone. If you eat it in moderation, it can be an EXCELLENT health benefit, in my opinion. I have soy milk in my oatmeal every morning, and then I might have some tofu and beans for lunch a few times a week.
#3 Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

MOST of the anti-soy 'studies' were funded by the dairy industry...remember that.

Secondly, the PHYTO-estrogens in soy are the same thing that's in dark chocolate...and look at how many studies are telling you that eating dark chocolate every day is GOOD for you.

Also, these anti-soy 'studies' say that 'forcing' a child to drink soymilk instead of cow's milk is like giving the child five birth control pills a day... ...now, I PERSONALLY KNOW guys who wanted to go on hormone therapy as teens, were denied, and illegally obtained birth control pills...started taking them...and grew breasts, voice changed, got hips, almost no 'male' body hair, and looked JUST like girls before long!!!! So...if our bodies responded to soy the same way they respond to REAL estrogen...we would have noticed by now...and wouldn't need a huge study to tell us. Vegetarian boy-girls would be on every talk show in the world suing the soy industry.

(Edited to add: Not to mention the fact that soymilk would be that magical birth-control beverage the world has been waiting for...)

Lastly, take all studies and info with a grain of salt. If the "pseudo-hormones" in soy really bother you, then use it in moderation. There's no law that says you HAVE to consume soy. There are plenty of vegetarians and vegans with soy allergies that will attest to that.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

MOST of the anti-soy 'studies' were funded by the dairy industry...remember that.

Secondly, the PHYTO-estrogens in soy are the same thing that's in dark chocolate...and look at how many studies are telling you that eating dark chocolate every day is GOOD for you.

Also, these anti-soy 'studies' say that 'forcing' a child to drink soymilk instead of cow's milk is like giving the child five birth control pills a day... ...now, I PERSONALLY KNOW guys who wanted to go on hormone therapy as teens, were denied, and illegally obtained birth control pills...started taking them...and grew breasts, voice changed, got hips, almost no 'male' body hair, and looked JUST like girls before long!!!! So...if our bodies responded to soy the same way they respond to REAL estrogen...we would have noticed by now...and wouldn't need a huge study to tell us. Vegetarian boy-girls would be on every talk show in the world suing the soy industry.

(Edited to add: Not to mention the fact that soymilk would be that magical birth-control beverage the world has been waiting for...)

Lastly, take all studies and info with a grain of salt. If the "pseudo-hormones" in soy really bother you, then use it in moderation. There's no law that says you HAVE to consume soy. There are plenty of vegetarians and vegans with soy allergies that will attest to that.

#5 Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry...

It just dawned on me that your original issue that led to the soy discussion was regarding protein and where you would get it.

It's really a non-issue. I was truly surprised when I went vegan. I read "Becoming Vegan" which gave a TON of nutritional information that EVERYONE should know. I highly recommend it.

Now then, you will only suffer from lack of protein if you're A. Starving to death, or B. have an amino acid absorption disorder.

Secondly, the body digests plant proteins MUCH easier and faster than animal-based proteins.

I pull and strain muscles all the time in my line of work. As an omni, I relied of lots of meats, eggs, and protein shakes to build muscle and help[ muscle damage heal.

Now that I'm vegan, I'm consuming far less protein, but it's plant-based. And, I was very surprised to discover that my pulled muscles heal MUCH faster as a vegan, than they did as an omni.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#6 Old 06-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want some more 'official' backup for LovelyPerv's lovely reasoning, my oncologist is all about me not getting near 'normal' estrogens but has no worry about soy.
#7 Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

If you want some more 'official' backup for LovelyPerv's lovely reasoning, my oncologist is all about me not getting near 'normal' estrogens but has no worry about soy.

Cancer patients may get better on a medication called Haelan 951 immun plus here in Germany, which is a preparation out of fermented soy beans. Cancer patients on chemotherapy have higher white blood cells, encounter less fatigue, and have better quality of life with this preparation. As it reduces NF-kB lots of other effects may still be elucidated.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Vegan Police Officer

You don't need to eat soy to get protein.

There is sufficient protein in normal foods to cover anyone's diet. The protein myth is.... well, just a myth to get people to buy stuff they do not actually need.

A normal healthy diet, with plenty of fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains suffices.
#9 Old 06-06-2008, 11:38 PM

I think there are some legitimate concerns about soy: the estrogen factor, digestibility and allergies. I am vegan and rarely eat soy because it gives me headaches and gut aches. There are a lot of different beans which together with grains, seeds and nuts can provide plenty of protein in a vegan diet w/o soy: several varieties of lentils, kidneys, yellow eye, black-eyed peas, garbanzos, limas, black beans, pintos, cranberry beans, small reds, navys, great northern, split peas, aduki, mung and others. With beans there is the added gas factor but just hang out with other bean eaters, old people and dogs. They'll understand wink wink. Be sure to soak beans over night before you cook them and slow cooking brings out more flavor than boiling. Adding soy to a variety of beans is probably OK for most, and there are many ways to prepare that as well. Variety is the key.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page