VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Health Discussion (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/14-general-health-discussion/)
-   -   STILL with the insomnia (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/14-general-health-discussion/82596-still-insomnia.html)

taurushead 06-03-2008 12:27 PM

its like..4 30 am now and I still haven't gone to sleep. I've weaned myself off coffee (for this purpose only. so if its not changing anything..back on it i shall go) , i have lots to do tomorrow/today and this has been going on for too long now. please PLEASE someone tell me how to stop averaging 3 hours of sleep a night. its destroying my days.

yvettemelissa 06-03-2008 01:41 PM

my mum couldnt sleep well for a bit..

have you tried chamomile tea before bed?

imaginepeace 06-03-2008 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=

have you tried chamomile tea before bed?[/QUOTE]

Thats what I use...(and tylenol pm before that bc im terrible to my body) warm tea, and meditation help with mild insomnia if its a problem that goes on for months and months you should go see a doctor and see if they can help.

Mrrple 06-03-2008 08:48 PM

We should be insomnia buddies.

I still haven't found a good solution to this horrid symptom. They've put me on drugs before, and none of them have ever worked. I try to keep a regular schedule. That didn't help either. Tea helps a little bit, but so does any warm beverage before bed so long as it's not too sweet. On nights I can't sleep, I usually just delve as far down into the covers as possible and try to stop thinking.

It's hard. I know.

taurushead 06-03-2008 09:56 PM

thanks for the responses ive tried chamomile tea but apart from tasting vile...it didn't do much

Sorry to hear you're in the same position mrrple. its so frustrating isn't it?! although I have to admit I feel better when I just accept it and either do the trying not to think thing you referred to above or, like this morning, get up and work on papers etc all night. I think my body's getting used to it because its now 2pm and my head feels perfectly clear.

on another note, the way I'm waking up (if i get to sleep) is freaking me out. I'm always drenched in sweat (but don't remember dreaming) and feel really strange. I've noticed during the day lately also that my heart feels like its going at superspeed. But it doesn't feel the way anxiety did back at school and im not particularly anxious. sigh.

yvettemelissa 06-03-2008 11:38 PM

i also tried having a nice long relaxing bath, hopping into bed with a lamp on..and drinking any type of herbal tea, and reading a book.

xx

Mrrple 06-03-2008 11:42 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that showers help a LOT. Like, superhot ones.

I'm bad. I waste 30 minutes of shower water every night but it's the only thing that has truly helped so far.

Yay sleepless buddies!

Izzie 06-03-2008 11:50 PM

I had trouble sleeping for a while, mostly because I was so anxious about getting enough sleep that I couldn't relax enough to fall asleep. What worked in my situation was not trying to go to sleep, just appreciating how comfortable it was to lie down after a long day.

sybaritik 06-04-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

on another note, the way I'm waking up (if i get to sleep) is freaking me out. I'm always drenched in sweat (but don't remember dreaming) and feel really strange. I've noticed during the day lately also that my heart feels like its going at superspeed. But it doesn't feel the way anxiety did back at school and im not particularly anxious. sigh.

You aren't sleeping with too many blankets on you are you....or in a room that's too warm?

If it's not that, night sweats can indicate a number of conditions but I'd say the most likely cause would be low iron.

Have you had a blood test lately Taurus?

taurushead 06-04-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybaritik View Post

You aren't sleeping with too many blankets on you are you....or in a room that's too warm?

If it's not that, night sweats can indicate a number of conditions but I'd say the most likely cause would be low iron.

Have you had a blood test lately Taurus?

Really? Low iron does that? I had no idea! I actually had an iron test recently though and im a-ok teeheehee.

nope. I sleep with a sheet now (and its winter here!! I'm cold going to bed but thought it might help with the middle of the night thing). hmmmmmmm. frustrating. but i can see its a common problem and probably one that'll just pass i can't believe how much i took sleep for granted. i miss it so much!!

sybaritik 06-04-2008 12:46 AM

If you're sure your iron levels are ok and you don't think you're suffering from anxiety, then you should tell your doctor about night sweats if you're having them regularly. Night sweats are an indication of some other diseases.

I think with you it's probably just a bit of anxiety though. You are a worrier

taurushead 06-04-2008 01:59 AM

eheehee. true. i am. sigh. less so than ever before though (how sad is that?! ..)

thanks heaps for the advice and ill check it out if it keeps going. and i know sometimes anxiety is there for no reason and sometimes maybe it doesn't feel like anxiety.

and.

my roomate just bought me (how sweet!) this Celestial Seasonings tea..i dunno if it had a calming effect or whatever its meant to but it was SO TASTY. especially in comparison to chamomile..ew. eheh

taurushead 06-09-2008 03:38 PM

ok. valerian and what not no longer works. i just got 2 hours sleep. finally fell asleep at 6am and had to be up at 8. i can't keep this up. any further suggestions?

plus to make matters worse its crossed over into a night eating kind of thing (even when i eat a massive meal at night or eat nothing for hours before bed) and im now tired AND gaining weight rapidly. so sad. i hate this. my study is sucking and i feel like crap.

GhostUser 06-15-2008 06:54 PM

Not a cure, but what I found that helped me when I went through a phase like that was crashing on the couch in front of the tv. I would turn it to a boring station, turn the volume down real low and then get comfy under a warm blanket. The sound of quiet talking kept my brain from getting active with my own thoughts and I usually managed to doze off. Sometimes I would wake up periodically, but then I would doze off again. It's not the best solution, but it is better than nothing.