Vegetarian With IBS-D - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 AM

Hi, im very new to this forum, my girlfriend told me I should join since she's already a member. Anyways, I have been vegetarian for a few months now and can happily say I'll never go back.

I have IBS-D, which means my diet is limited to products that contain soluble fiber. I eat alot of rice, noodles, soy products, and other products that are for the most part bland.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here is living a veggie life on top of an IBS-D life as well, and if they had any advice/opinions/recipes/etc.

Thanks for the responses, and I look forward to being on this forum for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Probiotics + additional Fiber supplementation (like fibersure, which is vegetable fiber). Fiber supplementation isn't just for constipation. It also helps absorb liquid in the bowel and bulk up the stool, thus reducing diarrhea. Probiotics help promote positive intestinal bacteria. It can take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the extra good bacteria, but it can be beneficial in the long run. Otherwise, you need to figure out your trigger foods and avoid them.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Beginner

can you eat fruit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

can you explain the IBS- "D" part of it?
#5 Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

can you explain the IBS- "D" part of it?

Diarrhea.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM

I've had IBS-D for 27 years and been a vegetarian for 18. You'd think I'd have lots of advice but I don't! I seem to get everything under control but then out of the blue it will act up again. I think the most important thing is to figure out your main trigger foods and stay away from them. Mine is dairy. I used to think it was just lactose intolerance so I would take the pills but since getting rid of dairy complete about 6 months ago, I've seen much better results.

I found a book called "Eating for IBS" by Heather Van Vorous which had a lot of helpful information for me. The frustrating part is that everyone reacts differently so you just have to keep experimenting to see what works best for you.
#7 Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Beginner

I've had IBS for about 3 years, with two severe episodes (I know, I'm lucky). But I have only had one mini-flare up since going vegetarian 7 months ago, and I think it was brought on by a change in my arthritis medicine. I don't have a quick fix, sorry, but I know cutting out meat and dairy helped me tremendously.
#8 Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 AM

I'm vegan and have it. Developed very fast about 3 years ago. Was saved by helpforibs.com Gave up fruit altogether plus certain grains I'd been eating a lot of. Now it's pretty much under control except when I mess up but at least I usually know why and can get it back together.
#9 Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

thank you lentilonmymind for this info IBS seem much more clearier now
#10 Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post

can you eat fruit?

no, i try to avoid them. they seem to be a trigger to me.
#11 Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 PM

thanks everybody for your help! yes, ive been on www.helpforibs.com alot within the past years that ive suffered from this.

another question i have is, do those who suffer from ibs-(diarrhea) find it difficult to find foods that fit the diet of someone with this condition? i seem to feel regulated by what i can eat (with everything being made with "whole-grain," one of the worst things for someone with ibs-d).

thanks again for your help! im glad that im not the only vegetarian who has ibs-d.
#12 Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

i have a hard time w/ making healthy choices and avoiding the foods that trigger me too, loth. What i have found is making sure you eat enough soluable fiber...it sort of "gels" in your intestines, and i have found that since i have been eating asparagus daily (:P), that my stomach is soooo much better, at least on a good run of time. I know it can be super frustrating, but i think finding a routine, when your belly is relatively settled, is the best.

Have you tried meds? i dont normally advocate this, but i have been prescribed liquid opiate...which slows everything down.... being on it daily for a really short 2months or so, *really* helped settle my belly. WHen you are having constant diah., you are causing inflammation in your intestines, which in turn, makes you more sensitive to EVERY food! being able to allow your body to regenerate its intestinal cells will help w/ digestion. NOw, you may not have to go as far as the opiate med...kaopectate or other OTC meds may work fine for you, depending on your severity.

BUt i tell you, its nice to not have to worry so much, carrying around a medicine cabinet full of meds all the time!

plus, as you may know, if you have chronic diah., you wont be absorbing nutrients properly.

also, i know you avoid fruits, i myself have to be picky about them too, but have you tried bananas? they seem to do me good.
#13 Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

i have a hard time w/ making healthy choices and avoiding the foods that trigger me too, loth. What i have found is making sure you eat enough soluable fiber...it sort of "gels" in your intestines, and i have found that since i have been eating asparagus daily (:P), that my stomach is soooo much better, at least on a good run of time. I know it can be super frustrating, but i think finding a routine, when your belly is relatively settled, is the best.

Have you tried meds? i dont normally advocate this, but i have been prescribed liquid opiate...which slows everything down.... being on it daily for a really short 2months or so, *really* helped settle my belly. WHen you are having constant diah., you are causing inflammation in your intestines, which in turn, makes you more sensitive to EVERY food! being able to allow your body to regenerate its intestinal cells will help w/ digestion. NOw, you may not have to go as far as the opiate med...kaopectate or other OTC meds may work fine for you, depending on your severity.

BUt i tell you, its nice to not have to worry so much, carrying around a medicine cabinet full of meds all the time!

plus, as you may know, if you have chronic diah., you wont be absorbing nutrients properly.

also, i know you avoid fruits, i myself have to be picky about them too, but have you tried bananas? they seem to do me good.

thanks for the great advice! yeah, imodium has been my best friend for the past 5 years. this past month, i have taken benefiber twice a day and besides a couple bad days it seems to help alot. i also take my usual imodium every other day. thansk again for the advice though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page