Vegan messed up about carbohydrates? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok so...

im a sort of vegan/vegetarian, well not really...but i try to live a veganish lifestyle most of the time.

ANYWAY

For breakfast up until lunch i usually consume lots of fresh fruits and nuts..

for lunch its followed by a huge vege/fruit salad

and for dinner..

well..

i think ive just become too lazy to cook, and so i started eating just another vege salad for dinner, dont get me wrong, these are like MAIN COURSE salads, but i keep eating junk after dinner!

Yeah i know i know, obviously im not getting in enough calories right?

Well..i thought maybe making a big tomato pasta for dinner, with fruit afterwards.

How do i get over this ridiculous fear that pasta for dinner is going to make me gain weight?

I may have sushi at lunch too- the vegetarian kind.

But seriously,

how many cals are in a biggish bowl of pasta?

& what are some things to add to a pasta dish, apart from the usual onions?

Is having pasta for dinner (i heard you shouldnt consume carbs at night, so thats probably where i get my ridiculous thoughts) going to hinder weight loss?

yeah

any ideas- MUCH appreciated.

Thankies!

:]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvettemelissa View Post

Ok so...

im a sort of vegan/vegetarian, well not really...but i try to live a veganish lifestyle most of the time.

ANYWAY

For breakfast up until lunch i usually consume lots of fresh fruits and nuts..

for lunch its followed by a huge vege/fruit salad

and for dinner..

well..

i think ive just become too lazy to cook, and so i started eating just another vege salad for dinner, dont get me wrong, these are like MAIN COURSE salads, but i keep eating junk after dinner!

Yeah i know i know, obviously im not getting in enough calories right?

Well..i thought maybe making a big tomato pasta for dinner, with fruit afterwards.

How do i get over this ridiculous fear that pasta for dinner is going to make me gain weight?

I may have sushi at lunch too- the vegetarian kind.

But seriously,

how many cals are in a biggish bowl of pasta?

& what are some things to add to a pasta dish, apart from the usual onions?

Is having pasta for dinner (i heard you shouldnt consume carbs at night, so thats probably where i get my ridiculous thoughts) going to hinder weight loss?

yeah

any ideas- MUCH appreciated.

Thankies!

:]

hi! its not 'ridiculous', the way a lot of people do pasta isn't ideal and the portions are ridiculously huge, i find. but that said, i eat a fair bit of pasta and never gain weight, and its a delicious way to get enough calories. if you go for wholegrain or spelt or something its also a good source of vitamins.What about some good bread and a toasted sandwich with all the extras? or baked potatoes?? Things i add to pasta are usually garlic, chili , onions, oil, some kind of tomato based sauce. that kinda stuff. spinach is always good. BIG on flavour!! very tasty.
#3 Old 05-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah but ive tried wholegrain filled sandwiches before (believe me ive piled the darn sandwich soo high with vege fillings)

Im just sick of it, its like..i can be 100% awsome all day, then come after dinner..and ive actually become so silly about this..that im starting to eat NON VEGAN JUNK FOOD!

NOT-COOL!

Its just a couple years back when i DID eat quite a good amount of carbs, i gained alot of weight (im only 5'3, so EVERYTHING SHOWS),

and i spoke to a couple of friends who eat pasta for tea and are still quite slim and in good health.

I tried pasta for tea the other night, and i felt i didnt need ANYTHING after that but a cup of tea and then bed.

How many calories would be in a good sized bowl?

Mum usually cooks it for me, so say a small takeaway container full of pasta, with some pasta sauce...?

I think i just need something really good and substansial in the evening after a long days work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

1/2 cup of pasta is a serving. Get a measuring cup to get a real portion size. We often throw pasta, grains, cereal, whatever in a bowl/ plate which may be giagantic...so our visual idea of a portion size is very skewed.

Its good to measure out your sizes every once in a while, just to keep yourself in check.

and obviously the pasta is doing a good thing for keeping you satisfied. Does it help to eat it earlier and maybe just have something small for an evening meal or snack?

make sure you include some good protein with your pasta as well as veggies.
#5 Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah i think i usually have it as soon as i walk in the door after work..so like 7.30

and only herbal teas and maybe fruit after.

i know, it was keeping me satisfied.

i think im just anxious about it..

the stupid society of low carbohydrate diets have me messed up.

stupidness of it all.

pft

Thanks for the suggestions :]

xxx
#6 Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Carbohydrate reduction isn't "stupid". It's an effective way to control blood sugar levels, insulin response, metabolic rate, energy supply, and the body's ability to store fat.

Eating a "largeish" bowl of pasta is akin to eating a bunch of white bread (unless you're eating whole grain pasta) If you're eating 2 cups of penne (about 500 calories), would you sit down & eat 4-5 slices of white bread? It's pretty much the same thing. Try to at least switch to whole grain pasta (Barilla Plus is a good one). It has a lot more fiber & protein than regular pasta.

What about eating a bowl of plain oatmeal with berries instead (not the kind in packets, the natural kind)?
#7 Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the response.

yeah i get what you mean,

i tried a whole wheat salad filled sandwich for dinner a couple of times, but i didnt get full at all!

Yeah i was thinking the rolled oats too..

well last night i went out and got wholewheat pasta, so i WILL be trying this and seeing how it goes on my fullness.

i do find tho, that having such a dinner DOES keep nighttime snackage at a decreased level.

So i will be trying it.

& its not an ENORMOUS bowl, its just one of those say..noodle bowls?
#8 Old 05-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

how many calories would be in about 1.5cups of wholewheat pasta without sauce added yet?
#9 Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not eat whole grain pasta.

Instead, I cook my spaghetti sauce in a special way (simmering much of the tomatoes in a cast iron pan, then adding it to the sauce letter so it absorbs iron). I also add a lot of garlic, a fair amount of fresh vegetables and herbs, as well as packages of faux ground beef. This in effect gives me gigantic portions of iron, protein, and carbs that are easily accessed.

Of course, it would be better to eat whole grain but right now my mother is doing her 'against slightly higher prices' thing lately.

Anyway, my point is that if you add the right stuff, you end up with a nice healthy and hearty meal.

It really just depends on the person whether it will affect weight loss or not. I don't count because my metabolism is wayyy fast.
#10 Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

how many calories would be in about 1.5cups of wholewheat pasta without sauce added yet?

have you tried using fitday.com? It says 1.5 cups of whole wheat spaghetti is 260 calories.
#11 Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

have you tried using fitday.com? It says 1.5 cups of whole wheat spaghetti is 260 calories.

wow really?!

heres me thinking it was like 470-500calories!!!

#12 Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

carbs aren't evil... and eating a ton is okay since you don't have the calorie dense animal products, especially meat! When you gained a lot of weight were you also eating milk, eggs, meat, etc.? I found when I was vegan I could get away with eating pretty much any food in any quantity (if it was vegan) and never gain an ounce. In fact, I lost a LOT of weight even though I was eating like crazy, lol.

Now I want pasta....
#13 Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefactor View Post

carbs aren't evil... and eating a ton is okay since you don't have the calorie dense animal products, especially meat! When you gained a lot of weight were you also eating milk, eggs, meat, etc.? I found when I was vegan I could get away with eating pretty much any food in any quantity (if it was vegan) and never gain an ounce. In fact, I lost a LOT of weight even though I was eating like crazy, lol.

Now I want pasta....

ykno what, i think you are positively right.

in fact im going to save this or something, to remind myself to stay vegan!

haha

actually yeah..and ive actually gained some weight, since ive started eating **** like cakes/cookies/chocolate.

so now im trying to go bak to bein vegan.

its pretty tough.

and yeah i WAS eating animal products.

arg
#14 Old 05-28-2008, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

wow really?!

heres me thinking it was like 470-500calories!!!

Keep in mind that's cooked, not pre-cooked. 2/3 cup uncooked pasta is about 250 calories.

Try to stick to whole grain pasta. Refined pasta turns immediately to sugar in your body and offers no nutritional value. You might as well eat a piece of cake. The blood sugar high you get will temporarily fill you up & give you energy, but the subsequent insulin response & blood sugar crash will make you feel hungry again. That's why refined foods (breads, cereals, pasta, rice) make you feel hungry an hour or two after eating them.

Introducing fiber & protein to your meals (like whole wheat pasta with roasted seitan) will keep you full a lot longer than white spaghetti with marinara. And provides a lot more nutritional value.
#15 Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

carbs aren't evil... and eating a ton is okay since you don't have the calorie dense animal products, especially meat!

FWIW, each gram of protein has 4 calories. Additionally, a gram of carbohydrates has 4 calories.

So if you're eating 100g of chicken breast or 100g of bread, you're still getting 400 calories. (plus whatever fat is in the chicken or bread - and if it's whole grain bread, it likely has fat in it.)

I just wanted to point out that since protein & carbs both have the same number of calories per gram, protein isn't any more "calorie dense" than carbohydrates. And it doesn't matter if the protein is gluten or meat - still 4cals per gram.
#16 Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

no, but animal products ARE more calorie dense than bread and vegetables. Plus I think they're absorbed differently, and there are more caloric/bad for you fats in most animal products. I didn't just pull that out of my bum, I know from somewhere (nutrition or anatomy and phys II or just general vegan research? I don't remember) that vegans need to eat more FOOD to get the same amount of CALORIES. i.e. I could eat a hamburger and get 800 cals or I could eat 5 sandwiches or 22 apples or three servings of pasta (my way) and get around the same amount from each. Plus, you know, fewer growth hormones pumped into your body so less weight gain. ^_^

So my bottom line remains the same; you can eat more food and not gain (as much if any) weight as a vegan than as a vegetarian/omni, and you might even lose weight. It was really helpful to my eating disorder to realize this... I think the healthiest I've ever eaten and felt about food was when I was vegan.
#17 Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

no, but animal products ARE more calorie dense than bread and vegetables. Plus I think they're absorbed differently, and there are more caloric/bad for you fats in most animal products. I didn't just pull that out of my bum, I know from somewhere (nutrition or anatomy and phys II or just general vegan research? I don't remember) that vegans need to eat more FOOD to get the same amount of CALORIES. i.e. I could eat a hamburger and get 800 cals or I could eat 5 sandwiches or 22 apples or three servings of pasta (my way) and get around the same amount from each. Plus, you know, fewer growth hormones pumped into your body so less weight gain. ^_^

So my bottom line remains the same; you can eat more food and not gain (as much if any) weight as a vegan than as a vegetarian/omni, and you might even lose weight. It was really helpful to my eating disorder to realize this... I think the healthiest I've ever eaten and felt about food was when I was vegan.

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I felt sooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

And i have this like, RESPECT for hunger, and fullness, and FOOD, and TASTE..and my BODY..after going vegan.

you are so inspiring!

Im so going vegan!

#18 Old 06-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Oats

Brown whole grain rice

Both are very easy to cook and give you the best heath benefits going.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page