Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

First of all let me apologize deeply for creating a thread that has definitely been created before. I wouldn't do it, except for the fact that my eyes are so watery and swollen I can barely make out the words in the old posts.

Since I'm not currently capable of reading the past posts, I thought i would make a new one, since I am fairly confiden in my typing (please excuse the few tpos).

To the post

I have been having killer allergies the last couple weeks and been using a spray that has different local oils, etc. in it. It kinda seemed like it worked for a second, but is totally not working now. I fell down in some grass flying a kite the other day and my whole body broke out in some allergic reaction. My mother and vegan girlfriend FORCED me to take some benadryl since the welps were so bad. I was a little worried so just took it without reading the ingredients cause I knew I wouldn't take it had I read them. Since then I have read the ingredients and refuse to take anymore.

I was hoping that someone knew of a vegan version of benadryl with the same active ingredients but not having the inactive ingredients of lactose gelatin and other gross crap, cause I can't really function properly in my current state, but will not take the benadryl brand..

I'm truly open to trying anything, and from my best guest (I hate doctors so I haven't had an allergy panel), it's an allergy to Oak since that has been the highest counts of pollens in Austin lately.

AGain I would like to apologize for the repeated post and any missspelling you've had to deal with. If there are other threads that answer this specifically please point me in that direction or post here.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

in canada at least (i don't know what country you're in), the childrens liquid versions of both Claritin, and Reactine (sold as Zyrtec in the UK) don't have any lactose in them. they're different antihistamines, but antihistamines non the less.

they do have glycerine though. i'm assuming its vegetable glycerine, or i'd go insane.

you can take the childrens versions as an adult, the adult dose is listed on the back of the box. the active ingredients are the same as the tablets. it does cost a bit more if you work it out though.

you might wanna invest in a pediatric medicine syringe and stopper (they cost about a dollar and are next to the other random earplugs and pill dividers in the pharmacy), cos its a massive pain to try and pour a clear liquid into a teaspoon twice when you can't even see straight and are liable to sneeze randomly.

oh, and the claritin tastes really foul. like aniseed, really mentholy and cold. the reactine is slightly better, more like bubblegum, but still gross.
#3 Old 05-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

There is benadryl in non gelcaps like this: http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...90&catid=12203

It appears to be vegan

You should get a neti pot or other nasal irrigation system and do that 2x/day if you haven't yet. It helps reduce at least nasal allergy symptoms. It won't help with hives though.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

benadryl puts me to sleep, and i hate taking it every 4 hours (claritin and reactine work for 24 hours straight and don't make you half as groggy). but admittedly it is quite good for when you're going mad from itchy hives and want to go to sleep until they've gone away.

to add to the neti pot suggestion, wrap around sunglasses and eyedrops are pretty good for avoiding your eyes getting too awful. its also a good idea to plan when you go out/open windows to avoid high pollen times and days (you can check the pollen count online). also, having a shower and changing your clothes when you come back inside stop contaminants from lurking all over you for the rest of the day.

....and i'd go and see a doctor, myself. i know you hate them. i'm not a big fan myself. but they have better drugs that you can't buy OTC, and can assess what exactly it is, and how likely you are to have a bigger or more dangerous allergy problem on your hands in future, and help you avoid it.
#5 Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

rabid child, I couldn't find that particular type of benadryl anywehre

about the child's claritin it is definitely vegan and there's no sugar, so don't even have to call a company. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Since the welts haven't happened anymore and it's just continual nasal and eye annoyances.

I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope we'll get osme rains to push those pollens out of the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

....and i'd go and see a doctor, myself. i know you hate them. i'm not a big fan myself. but they have better drugs that you can't buy OTC, and can assess what exactly it is, and how likely you are to have a bigger or more dangerous allergy problem on your hands in future, and help you avoid it.

I could barely believe that I was thining about buying an over the counter drugs, but I really can't see myself buying something from big pharma.
#6 Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Banned

fair enough. but please consider going to the ER if you start to swell up like a balloon (especially round the throat) cos you might die, and that'd not be fun.

you do know that there are some herbal things that are supposed to be quite effective for calming down your histamine response and giving your immune system a bit of a kick, don't you? things like echinacea, nettle and eyebright.... a herbalist should be able to offer you suggestions.
#7 Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

fair enough. but please consider going to the ER if you start to swell up like a balloon (especially round the throat) cos you might die, and that'd not be fun.

you do know that there are some herbal things that are supposed to be quite effective for calming down your histamine response and giving your immune system a bit of a kick, don't you? things like echinacea, nettle and eyebright.... a herbalist should be able to offer you suggestions.

I assured you welts or anything abnormal, wether or not I want to my mother or girlfriend will force me, and I'm not trying to die

Yes I know about these other things, I have tried prettty much everything but nettle, and that's my next things to try since nothing is really working,.
#8 Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 AM

I'd like to thank the original poster and each person who responded here. I have been having an allergic reaction of some sort that my doc and I are trying to figure out. Went to WF and the only antihistamine they have IS NOT VEGAN. Of course, I am not buying OTC drugs or big pharma crap, so I am out to find SOME KIND of histamine blocker for vegans. I will consider all of the advise offered here in my journey to keep my values as well as my health. Incidentally, does anyone know of a vegan Tar shampoo?? My allergy has crept to my scalp and well, I can't seem to get any joy from conventional shampoo lines. Any direction/advise would be appreciated.

thanks!

Susan
#9 Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTeacher View Post

I'd like to thank the original poster and each person who responded here. I have been having an allergic reaction of some sort that my doc and I are trying to figure out. Went to WF and the only antihistamine they have IS NOT VEGAN. Of course, I am not buying OTC drugs or big pharma crap, so I am out to find SOME KIND of histamine blocker for vegans. I will consider all of the advise offered here in my journey to keep my values as well as my health. Incidentally, does anyone know of a vegan Tar shampoo?? My allergy has crept to my scalp and well, I can't seem to get any joy from conventional shampoo lines. Any direction/advise would be appreciated.

thanks!

Susan

you'd be better off posting your tar question in its own thread, cos people often don't read all posts before replying so might miss your request.

incidently have you tried a vegan shampoo with no sodium lareth sulfates? thats harsh stuff and can irritate an already sensitive scalp.
#10 Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I'd go to a doctor to try to prevent the reactions as well as cure them (if you know whaty they are it's easier to prevent!) but if couldn't find an alternative: I'd just take the drugs. (Infact: I do)

No medication will ever be 100% vegan because it has to be tested on animals, limiting the amount of non vegan products within the drugs is good if you can do it but if not, I would say take the medication and don't beat yourself up about it, YOU are important too and it really sounds like you need some anti-histamines. You're not being a hypocrite, and you're not going to get the vegan police banging at your door, it's the responsible thing to do to look after yourself.
#11 Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 AM

If you don't do honey than disregard this I know some vegans do eat honey and some don't so please don't backlash!
Local raw honey daily can help over time.
#12 Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Banned

deleted
#13 Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

When i was having hive problems i read that stinging nettle can help with allergies. You can buy it in a non gelatin capsule form i think or you can get the leaves (i have no idea where you get them from) and boil them and drink it like tea or something like that. i cant say if it works or not though because my allergies and hives got so bad that i had to go to the er and they gave me steroids and they havnt come back since. But may e look into it.
#14 Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Old thread, OP isn't here anymore.
#15 Old 04-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Old thread, OP isn't here anymore.

Veganteacher is here and asked the same ?

Look for generic Benadryl. I find it at big lots. It's non gelatin capsules and has no lactose. Also generics generally are not tested on animals
#16 Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Butterbur is supposed to be a good antihistamine, although i have never tried it. I have tried stinging nettle, taken as a tincture, and it had no effect whatsoever.
#17 Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty sure that the Benadryl I have doesn't have much of a problem with it aside from the potential issue of stearic acid/sodium stearate. Don't think they put gelatin in things unless it's a capsule or a gel.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#18 Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Veganteacher is here and asked the same ?

Look for generic Benadryl. I find it at big lots. It's non gelatin capsules and has no lactose. Also generics generally are not tested on animals

No, Veganteacher hasn't signed in in over 2 years.

I'm just saying don't be surprised if the Mods close this down, as it's old.
#19 Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh. Zombie thread. Oops.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#20 Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a problem with threads like this being bumped, it's a good question and the more info people can contribute, the better. I'm sure some newbies using the search feature (when it works) looking for allergy related posted would find this helpful. Threads like this should stay open, IMO. I'm not in orange though.
#21 Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM

You want a vegan antihistamine? I've got an answer for you! smiley.gif

"Quercetin with Bromelain" in veggie capsules from WHOLEFOODS bearing their own brand name DOES work. Vitamin shops and health food stores may also have the same type of supplement, made by other manufacturers. However, if I have to take it long term, it starts to get pricey, because during my worse episodes of watery eyes, I find myself going through a whole bottle in a week. (Each bottle contains 100 capsules, and as far as I understand, it IS alright to take 10 or so capsules at a time, each containing 500 mg of quercetin + 360 GDU bromelain) I recommend reading up on antihistamine-like properties of quercetin, and experiment a bit to see what dosage works for you, depending on the type and severity of each episode. But, it will work in a relatively short time, nonetheless. Also, it will help to have some fresh (or forzen chunks?) of pineapple with the pills, because this fruit contains more bromelain, which helps to boost the absorption of quercetin, even that much more.

Best wishes! 

#22 Old 03-14-2020, 11:28 AM

If the product is generic, they did not torture animals to test these. The data, inaccurate as it is, comes from so called animal tests. This is already out there since they tortured animals to get it.
#23 Old Today, 10:49 AM

Quercetin with Bromelain in veggie capsules from WHOLEFOODS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page