In need of veg health reminders ... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Baby Love

In case you haven't been paying attention, I struggle on a regular basis with vegetarianism, veganism, and related issues. Actually, these thought patterns aren't just connected with veg stuff, but that's an even more involved issue. I completely identify with the spiritual and ethical reasons for not consuming animal products, however, I am in need of reminders of health reasons. Obviously, upping your intake of whole fruits, veggies, and legumes and cutting way back on refined/heavily processed foods and fatty animal foods will improve your health. However, I'm constantly second guessing myself whether or not eating a small amount of animal products is best for my health. I've read The China Study more than once and to me the study seemed to be pointing out that people with a large consumption of whole plant foods and a very small consumption of animal products is the healthiest diet... not people with zero intake of animal products (I do also understand vegans were not available to study in large numbers and assumptions were made). I want to be my healthiest self ... and I really don't want to eat animal stuff I'd like some more info on veg health stuff from anyone willing to share. Books, websites, advice, and other info are all good. Thanks

disclaimer - If you find my imperfections annoying, please move on to the next thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, if you want to eat 0 animal products (or as close to 0 as realistically possible) and want to eat as healthy as possible within that guideline, you might read Vesanto Melina's Becoming Vegan. I know you're already vegan, but it has a lot of information for beginners - perhaps the information you're seeking.

Or, books by John Robbins. Or Dean Ornish (who does allow for dairy, but which can be omitted).

Or maybe you might find this interesting

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/veg...ganlowcarb.htm. I would actually recommend the information in this link before Ornish or other low-fat-vegan-diet pushers, but only because I don't at all see fat as a villain.

Perhaps the best approach is to read as much as you can and pick & choose what makes sense to you and fits within your ethics. I, too, believe that the healthiest diet is one that incorporates animal products and whole fruits/vegetables and whole grains (and zero processed food). But we also have ethics to take into consideration, which may be incompatible with what you think is the One Healthiest Diet.

Here is a sample day from the above link:

Quote:
Breakfast:
  • 1 cup plain organic enriched soy milk
  • ½ cup uncooked organic rolled oats, added to the soy milk & allowed to soak
  • 4 walnut halves (about 2 Tbs), chopped up and added to the cereal
  • 1-2 Tbs dehydrated raspberries, added to the cereal
  • 1 orange

Lunch:
  • 6 cups (approx.) salad, including lettuce, red cabbage, carrot shavings, tomato, celery, cucumber, red or yellow bell pepper, snow or snap peas (when available for a reasonable price)
  • 3 ¼ - 3 ½ ounces marinated baked tofu
  • 2 Tbs low-carb oil and vinegar dressing
  • 0.6-0.7 oz dark chocolate (70-88% cocoa)

Snack:
  • 2/3 cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
  • 1 peach, cut up and mixed with the yogurt

Dinner:
  • ½ cup cooked organic short-grain brown rice
  • 2-3 cups of the entrée, depending on what’s in it, but all vegetables, including a leafy green (kale, collards, bok choy, chard, beet greens, etc.), and a brassica (cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc) [some foods, such as kale, are in both categories] and almost always carrots [entree usually includes about 1.5 teaspoons of olive oil]

Dessert:
  • 1 apple
  • 0.6-0.7 oz dark chocolate (70-88% cocoa)

It's a lot more effort than Go Lean for breakfast, an Amy's burrito for lunch, and a chik'n patty for dinner, but clearly a lot more health-promoting.
#3 Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Additionally, I don't know if you've read Bryanna Clark Grogan's cookbooks, but I do remember her recipes using a lot of vegetables, legumes, and homemade gluten (not full of a bunch of weird stuff). You might pick up her Chinese & Italian ones.

Andrew Weil (whom I've always really liked and was the one who really got me thinking about my health when I was obese) also discusses healthy veganism here:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400196

He does promote use of health-promoting animal products (like fish and eggs), but is definitely supportive of vegetarian diets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Baby Love

Thanks, Amy. I will look those materials. I do have an old copy of Becoming Vegan (from 8 years ago). Perhaps, it's time for a re-read.

FYI - I'm not actually vegan. I have been vegan and my heart wants me to be vegan. My head just isn't quite sure what's logically best for my body/life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page