Skin problems and Vegetarianism. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2008, 09:32 PM

I've been a vegeterian for about 4-5months now. I have been noticing my skin getting funky. I have been getting thses little white bumps all over my chest and some on my face.

Does vegetarian diet cause skin problems? Am I lacking a viatmin or mineral?

HELPP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't say that vegetarianism is the cause, especially since you are not vegan (unelss you are and didn't mention it). I would start taking a multi vitamin/mineral supplement just to be safe and always always eat a well-rounded diet.

Maybe include, if you don't already:

Plenty of legumes and beans, some proteins like tofu, tempeh, etc

Ground flax seed or flax oil

Walnuts

Leafy greens like spinach and other greens

Whole Foods sells a multi designed especially for Hair, Nails, and Skin that is veggie and vegan. I have it and take it from time to time. GNC also sells one as does Vitamin Shoppe.
#3 Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I have terrible skin, I know the feeling! Make sure you eat lots of good fats (nuts, etc) and I use olive oil in practically everything that I cook. Do the little bumps hurt? Could they just be whiteheads? The skin weirdness might be because of something else in your life, not just your diet. Once I went veggie, my skin started to react to dairy products, and it never had before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

the dairy is an interesting point. dairy has apparently been linked in some medical studies to acne. have you been loading up on the milk and cheese since giving up meat?

beyond that, it could be anything- a hormonal change thats just randomly turned up now, bacterial stuff (in which case using a 2.5% benyozl peroxide based treatment might help), a change in the skincare products you're using, an allergy, the list goes on.

might be worth taking your skin to a dermatologist- who can see it,for a start- they'd be much more likely to be able to identify what could be causing it.
#5 Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

the dairy is an interesting point. dairy has apparently been linked in some medical studies to acne. have you been loading up on the milk and cheese since giving up meat?

beyond that, it could be anything- a hormonal change thats just randomly turned up now, bacterial stuff (in which case using a 2.5% benyozl peroxide based treatment might help), a change in the skincare products you're using, an allergy, the list goes on.

might be worth taking your skin to a dermatologist- who can see it,for a start- they'd be much more likely to be able to identify what could be causing it.

I actually have been eating a lot of cheese. I never use to eat cheese and now I eat it all the time. I think you guys have helped me pinpoint my problem!!! Im cutting cheese out of my diet asap and seing if that helps!!!

Thanks so much!
#6 Old 04-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure what the little white bumps are on your chest, but I have them too. I'm vegan and eating a lot more raw things lately, but I've had the bumps since I was a teen. Next time I'm at the dermatologist I'll ask her about it.
#7 Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

It is all known that Skin is our most sensitive and important part of our body

because it protect us from the outer part of the world like dust ,sun ray ,different type of rays and others,so it is necessary for all that we should always

carry our body ,there are number of skin disease cause due to different problem like acne ,blackheads ,pimples we should recover acne ,pimples .

It's a fact- curing acne can never be achieved by tackling one of the many factors responsible for acne. If you've ever tried to cure your acne using one-dimensional treatments like antibiotics or even detox diets and failed it's probably because you tackled only one aspect of the disease. Not only will this system teach you the only way to prevent your acne from being formed, you will also learn the only way to acne treatments for good - the holistic way.
#8 Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

fritemare--use a loofah and gently exfoliate in the shower daily, and moisturize afterwards. My brother used to have this severely, and I always had a bit on my arms. Our doctor gave him this advice and I myself have taken it up--works like a charm! I now also daily exfoliate gently wherever I tend to get ingrown hairs and I've found so far it's helped a lot!

OP--I agree with the concerns voiced on heightened dairy consumption--definately linked with skin issues.
#9 Old 08-11-2008, 10:43 AM

When I have skin issues I too look at my dairy intake and I turn to my favorite herb/food ally...BURDOCK/GOBO root. Any inbalance in my Liver will show up in my complexion...SO...

I will make up a good veggie broth with Burdock root added or my favorite concoction is a Veggie version of a Japanese dish.

Lettuce or steamed cabbage leaf wrapped around carrots, green onion and Burdock root that has been simmered in Tamari, Sake and honey.

Another thought...has your body or laundry soaps changed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page