Cancer link found in baby food twist-top caps! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/ixhome.html

Cancer link found in baby food twist-top caps

By Robert Uhlig, Food Correspondent

(Filed: 16/10/2003)

Makers of bottled baby food have been urged to change the packaging after a toxin linked to cancers and birth defects was found in several varieties contained in glass jars with metal lids.

The discovery of semicarbazide three months ago in dozens of foods packed in jars and bottles with twist-on-twist-off lids sent the food industry into turmoil, prompting an investigation by a panel of scientific experts reporting to the European Food Safety Authority.

The substance, also called SEM, has been linked in animal studies to cancers, liver damage and - in high doses - to miscarriages and birth defects.

So far it has been found in bottles or jars of baby food, fruit juices, jams and preserves, pickles, mustard, honey and sauces such as ketchup and mayonnaise.

Yesterday Dr Sue Barlow, the panel's chairman, told the food industry: "It would be prudent to reduce the presence of semicarbazide in baby foods as swiftly as technological progress allows." The authority also recommended a reduction of the chemical in other foods, after baby foods have been tackled.

Contamination of food products with SEM was first discovered by an independent laboratory used by Nestle, Heinz and other food makers, although none of the companies would admit that its foods were among those contaminated.

Scientists believe SEM is produced during the heat treatment used to make plastic sealing gaskets in the lids of glass jars and bottles. The chemical then migrates from the plastic into the food, Dr Barlow said.

The Food Standards Agency in London said yesterday that it had commissioned its own research to develop a reliable test for semicarbazide. It has also been consulting the Metal Packaging Manufacturers' Association.

Sir John Krebs, chairman of the agency, said that there was "considerable uncertainty about the possible risks from semicarbazide". He said it was not possible to rule out that the chemical was a cancer risk to humans. But he said that, according to the expert panel, the risk was "very small".

Sir John did not advise against eating food from jars but said that "parents may understandably be concerned by the continuing uncertainty, which may lead some to choose alternative foods for their babies".

The agency said parents who wanted to avoid glass jars and bottles of baby foods should look at frozen, tinned and packets of dried baby food. It has published practical suggestions on its website on how parents might make their own baby food.

Martin Paterson, the deputy director general of the Food and Drink Federation, which represents manufacturers, said a joint food and packaging industry task force was "working with the authorities to eliminate SEM from the metal twist caps used with glass jars".

He said it would take some time to find a replacement for the current sealing technology.

A spokesman for Nestle said the company had alerted authorities as soon as it was aware of the problem. Monique Warnock, a food campaigner at the Consumers' Association, said there were concerns that although the potential health risk was sufficient for the European Food Safety Authority to urge manufacturers to change their packaging, it did not warrant the removal of these containers from shops.

"The food industry identified this potential risk. It needs to show its commitment to consumer safety by taking immediate action to find alternative sources of packaging," she said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

my goodness.

this makes me feel even better about my choice to feed my kids homemade purees when they were infants rather than commercial stuff (though they did get a jar of it here and there). i never really understood the appeal of canned baby food. it's expensive (when you consider how cheap it is to buy some veggies/fruits and puree them yourself), wasteful (packaging), and canned food isn't as nutritious as fresh.

i honestly never thought it was all that inconvenient to just take some of the food we were eating as a family and mash it up for the baby.
#3 Old 10-15-2003, 09:19 PM

my goodness, indeed! Scary stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I think my mom fed me a lot of homemade. I know she had a puree-er.
#5 Old 10-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I think if people are too busy to puree apples and peaches, they should not have kids. It's just not very right (in my eyes) to raise kids in the most convenient ways.

....Not to mention how many jars are thrown away
#6 Old 06-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Just a couple of notes-in-the-margin...

I always found it amazing that people would actually buy the prepared babyfood at all. I made almost all of my own babyfood although yes, I used the occasional jar, esp. for fruit puree when we were on the go. My kid did not like the jarred food at all and even puked a couple of times after eating some. I tasted what she ate and discovered that the difference is the same as it would be for us between fresh pasta with homemade sauce, and tinned pasta ready in the sauce (which you just need to heat up). No wonder she puked !

I'm a big "make-it-from-scratch" fan anyway. Convenience food may be convenient but it's less tasty and less healthy in the end... (and it costs more !). So I guess it's a question of what exactly you find "convenient"...

I remember a year or 2 ago there was talk of toxic substances emanating from the inner sealing of tins (cans) containing food. This has died down. I am sure there's a lot more out there than we are aware of. I am now confronted with a rapidly progressing neuromuscular disease (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease, my MIL has it) and I keep wondering... what is the contribution of these kinds of chemicals to the (rising) incidence of those diseases... ?

Kim
#7 Old 06-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow. When you think about how many jars of that stuff an average baby eats in a day, that's scary.
#8 Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Scary indeed. Seems almost everything causes something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page