Vegetarian diet as cure for depression - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Newbie
 
tom666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Aloha



I suppose everyone heard about omega 3. They can be bought in every drugstore, because of massive deficiency. But problem lies not in the lack of omega 3, but in massive consumption of omega 6 - yes, one spotted in meat. Generally, if someone eat alot of omega 6, they will block the metabolism of omega 3 acids so the suplementation will not work.



Therefore vegetarian diet might be solution for many mental problems - everything that is caused by lack of omega 3 might be easily cured by this diet (and, of course, suplementation of omega 3 - preferable flax seeds or flaxseed oil).



On this website - www.neurosis.aquahobby.eu everything is explained in details. If any of you got a friend with depression or similar problem, spare them this URL, it might convice them to the vegetarian diet
tom666 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 920
Depression can be a chemical embalance. Persons should proceed with caution with any program that promises a cure of any medical condition.



However, good results have been found with omega 3's and bipolar disorder. Also, it makes sense that if one switches to a healthy diet it would improve one's feelings of wellbeing and mood.
Tweety is offline  
#3 Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
yblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 260
going vedgetarian didnt help me, but it may help some i guess.
yblad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Newbie
 
tom666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Being vegetarian you have greatly reduced omega 6 intake (ones responsible for depression etc), but to have success, you need to increase omega 3 as well. Change of diet alone do not help at all, as well as increase of omega 3 daily intake without reducing of omega 6. One need to do both of them.
tom666 is offline  
#5 Old 03-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
There is no correlation. I think you're grasping.
kpickell is offline  
#6 Old 03-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Gwendolyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 265
Well, I felt much better after going veggie, so I would say that perhaps there is a correlation between feeling better in from that and depression. My mind has become clearer, as well as making my body feel tops. I'm less susceptible to irrational thoughts that usually cause depression for me...So, I'd say that in that respect thee could be a correlation.
Gwendolyn is offline  
#7 Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
I think that any correlation depends on the type and severity of the depression. Is it endogenous or reactive? Mild, moderate or severe? I can see how a change in diet might make a difference to someone with mild depression. But if someone is severely depressed, I don't think eating plants will cure them. It definetely doesn't prevent it. I myself have been vegetarian for 10 years and still go through bouts of depression. I didn't get my first bout of depression until AFTER I went vegetarian. Eating junk food will make me feel worse, but eating healthy stuff doesn't make the depression go away either. Maybe a healthy diet just helps prevent depression from becoming even worse.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#8 Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
starseed13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 548
I felt better after going veggie. BUt I dont think its a nutritional thing, as much as this big cloud of guilt I had before (knowing my lifestyle didnt match my spiritual and ethical code) was suddenly lifted and each day I was making a life choice I was proud of myself for.
starseed13 is offline  
#9 Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Newbie
 
tom666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

There is no correlation.



between omega 3 and depression?



between omega 6 and omega 3?



between meat and omega 6?



Anyway, its statistically proved that average vegetarian got even worse omega 3 to omega 6 ratio than average omnivore. Sure we eat less of omega 6, but most of us reduce omega 3 too, which is at least partially responsible for depression.



So, to feel full effect one need to reduce omega 6 intake (vegetarian diet) AND increase intake of omega 3, for example by eating blend flaxseed, 2 tbs/day
tom666 is offline  
#10 Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular
 
CountessKerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom666 View Post

Aloha



I suppose everyone heard about omega 3. They can be bought in every drugstore, because of massive deficiency. But problem lies not in the lack of omega 3, but in massive consumption of omega 6 - yes, one spotted in meat. Generally, if someone eat alot of omega 6, they will block the metabolism of omega 3 acids so the suplementation will not work.



Therefore vegetarian diet might be solution for many mental problems - everything that is caused by lack of omega 3 might be easily cured by this diet (and, of course, suplementation of omega 3 - preferable flax seeds or flaxseed oil).



On this website - www.neurosis.aquahobby.eu everything is explained in details. If any of you got a friend with depression or similar problem, spare them this URL, it might convice them to the vegetarian diet





Hasn't helped my depression...
CountessKerouac is offline  
#11 Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom666 View Post

So, to feel full effect one need to reduce omega 6 intake (vegetarian diet) AND increase intake of omega 3, for example by eating blend flaxseed, 2 tbs/day



So a vegetarian diet really has nothing to do with it.
kpickell is offline  
#12 Old 03-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wednesday_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 856
^^ I think thats a fair call.



I can't see how being vegetarian would cure anyone's depression, other than making a person feel better about themselves and their morals.



Going vegetarian and then vegan, has certainly not lifted my depression.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
Wednesday_12 is offline  
#13 Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Newbie
 
eminthesr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
That's very interesting because I was diagnosed with depression november 2006. I went vegetarian late november 2006. And by January 2007 I felt soooo much better. So who knows what could've happenned. I never really thought it had anything to do w/ vegetarianism I thought it was because of therapy lol. Maybe it was a combination.
eminthesr is offline  
#14 Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Newbie
 
tom666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

So a vegetarian diet really has nothing to do with it.



check nutritiondata.com for omega 6 in meat
tom666 is offline  
#15 Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Hm, I don't know about that one. But exercise is certainly a cure for depression. Combined with a healthy vegetarian diet and daily exercise, you're off to a good start..
GhostUser is offline  
#16 Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned
 
cahill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
I have just joined this forum and am eager to know that is anyone here with anxiety and depression using Xanax . And is it safe to buy such stuff online as I am having it from *url removed* Is there any herbal medicine to get over depression and anxiety? I can go veggie, if it cures my depression but I am not sure as to how it is possible that going veggie cures your depression. Is any one here who can throw some light on this. I have been on medicine for depression for last 4 months and trying my best to get over it. Please suggest. Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this is not the right place to post this.
cahill is offline  
#17 Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
yblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

Hm, I don't know about that one. But exercise is certainly a cure for depression. Combined with a healthy vegetarian diet and daily exercise, you're off to a good start..



Depends on how bad it is, for mild/moderate it can help yes. But for severe, if years of treatments dont scratch the surface neither will exercise.
yblad is offline  
#18 Old 01-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
clarita osita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminthesr View Post

That's very interesting because I was diagnosed with depression november 2006. I went vegetarian late november 2006. And by January 2007 I felt soooo much better. So who knows what could've happenned. I never really thought it had anything to do w/ vegetarianism I thought it was because of therapy lol. Maybe it was a combination.



While I don't mean to downplay your diagnosis, with such a short timeframe I'd think something like that wasn't traditional, longterm clinical depression but rather a shortterm case of it. Of course, it's hard to know.



Anyway, changing your diet can do a lot for you. Yes, omega-3s might help with depression and bipolar disorder. then again, they might not. eat healthier and in most cases, you'll be healthier. period.
clarita osita is offline  
#19 Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Beginner
 
tatiana.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 193
I got over serious depression around the same time I became a veggie... I wonder it the 2 things are related!
tatiana. is offline  
#20 Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
My depression has definitely improved since becoming vegetarian, and this is especially noticeable right now since we are having a tough winter this year and I would not normally be feeling this good at all. I attribute this to a number of reasons though. I'm eating healthier in general, I have lost a fair amount of weight (30 pounds thus far), and being vegetarian has made me more aware of my nutrient levels (B12 in particular) so I am likely getting more than I did as a meat eater.
Digger is offline  
#21 Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jAded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,486
The main reason meat-eaters may not be getting a balanced ration of 3 and 6 is because the the meat they eat is often grain-fed. And many vegetarians eat a diet high in grains so wouldn't we in turn have the same problems?



I dunno, I always thought it was more difficult for vegetarians to get a good ratio, especially as we tend to only get ALA whereas I'm pretty sure fish has all 3 n-3 fatty-acids.
jAded is offline  
#22 Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

The main reason meat-eaters may not be getting a balanced ration of 3 and 6 is because the the meat they eat is often grain-fed. And many vegetarians eat a diet high in grains so wouldn't we in turn have the same problems?

I think the amount of fat in rice is minuscule, so I don't think it has much of an impact.

Quote:
I dunno, I always thought it was more difficult for vegetarians to get a good ratio, especially as we tend to only get ALA whereas I'm pretty sure fish has all 3 n-3 fatty-acids.

Not sure I follow... ALA is a type of omega-3, so how is that bad for the ratio? (Assuming you're talking about omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#23 Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post


However, good results have been found with omega 3's and bipolar disorder. Also, it makes sense that if one switches to a healthy diet it would improve one's feelings of wellbeing and mood.



I remember when I went vegetarian, I felt very good mentally after I ate. I thought it was my imagination until I spoke with my aunt who had just gone on a nearly vegetarian diet to fight her diabetes (very low fat). She noticed the same pleasant mental feelings after she ate also.
Amira is offline  
#24 Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jAded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,486
I'm not saying ALA is bad for achieving a balanced ratio, but that we don't get the other 2 as easily. I know your body is supposed to be able to convert it into the other fatty-acids, but it means we have to be a little more vigilant.



I'm just weary of the suggestion that cutting meat out of your diet will make you healthier, especially mentally. Many people who convert to vegetarianism still eat a lot of junk and don't get the nutrients they need.
jAded is offline  
#25 Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahill View Post

I have just joined this forum and am eager to know that is anyone here with anxiety and depression using Xanax . And is it safe to buy such stuff online as I am having it from *url removed* Is there any herbal medicine to get over depression and anxiety? I can go veggie, if it cures my depression but I am not sure as to how it is possible that going veggie cures your depression. Is any one here who can throw some light on this. I have been on medicine for depression for last 4 months and trying my best to get over it. Please suggest. Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if this is not the right place to post this.



1) buying prescription drugs online from shady sites is a stupid idea. they should be obained from a reputable pharmacy, and used under a doctors supervision. many drugs purchased online are fake- placebos, made with downright dangerous ingredients, etc. medicinal drugs used without medical supervision or examination put the user at risk of serious injury or death.



2) there are assorted herbal remedies which can help with depression and anxiety, such as st johns wort, but as they are medicines, they can interact with other drugs, and need to be prescribed by a professional, and used under their guidance.



3) it isn't advisable for someone to decide to use vegetarianism as a method of medical treatment for their mental health issuse, espcially if they do so at the expense of following the guidance of a professional, or if this means stopping a pre-existing treatment without medical support or supervision.



4) please don't spam us.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#26 Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Ex-*****
 
Indian Summer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: England
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

I'm just weary of the suggestion that cutting meat out of your diet will make you healthier, especially mentally. Many people who convert to vegetarianism still eat a lot of junk and don't get the nutrients they need.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this. For some "weak" or less resourceful people I think it can even be detrimental because:

1) They get completely obsessed with thinking about and avoiding "hidden" animal ingredients.

2) At the same time they don't learn enough about proper nutrition so their physical health suffers which can again impact on mental health.

3) In addition there is also a risk of social isolation which has a direct impact on mental health.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
Indian Summer is offline  
#27 Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
dormouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,609
While nutrition can help people deal with depression, it is certainly not the whole issue. If anti-depressants aren't effective on everyone, then clearly less targeted methods of altering brain chemistry aren't a sure-fire cure either.
dormouse is offline  
#28 Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Doktormartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,456
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/o...00316.htm#Uses



"People who do not get enough omega-3 fatty acids or do not maintain a healthy balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in their diet may be at an increased risk for depression. The omega-3 fatty acids are important components of nerve cell membranes. They help nerve cells communicate with each other, which is an essential step in maintaining good mental health. In particular, DHA is involved in a variety of nerve cell processes.



Levels of omega-3 fatty acids were found to be measurably low and the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids were particularly high in a clinical study of patients hospitalized for depression. In a clinical study of individuals with depression, those who ate a healthy diet consisting of fatty fish 2 - 3 times per week for 5 years experienced a significant reduction in feelings of depression and hostility."



Also, Maca has anti-depressant activity.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Doktormartini is offline  
#29 Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Beginner
 
fogueira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 158
Being veg will probably help you lose weight and improve your nutrition, which can't hurt.



Buddhism -- which led to my becoming a veg in the first place -- reduced my depression by about 75%. This is after years upon years of therapy and meds.



f
fogueira is offline  
#30 Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Posts: 223
What an interesting thread!
Not sure why it's in my sidebar when it's quite old but I'll add my experience...

I always had mood issues but they were resolved by a Coeliac diet and I was only left with the usual changeable moods that I feel (as a psychologist and psychotherapist) are overly medicalised and actually quite normal.
Then I went omni for a while (long story). Several years. I started getting these weird bouts of anhedonia and teariness and all kinds of stuff. Not something I can logically link to meat. I never felt great about eating it but really tried to (again, long story) for a while there. Then I went veg again and bam. They stopped. My guess is it could be that I never could get used to the soul implications of eating meat or (more likely) even not changing my diet much barring swapping in very modest amounts of grassfed meat, I started eating less of something that helps me. I flipflopped back and forth a bit and did notice it change each time (without that being the reason I was chopping and changing so it doesn't feel like placebo, just observation. Generally made by those outside myself).

I think the question really depends on how you eat as a veg and what works for you.
Since there are few processed packaged foods I can safely eat (but I do eat those. Ha. Oh, do I...) I don't really rely on mock meats etc. I eat a lot of whole foods but do also eat supplemented veg burgers of several brands. But I think a really processed diet of any sort definitely contributes to depression.

My depression lifted on a veg diet for sure (and I was healthy and ethical during my brief flirtation with being an omnivore).

If someone finds themselves suddenly depressed having gone veg I would look at their nutrients, as people have said above. And suggest exercise etc. Or assume it's unrelated. I don't quite see how it could cause or cure depression but that's my experience!
Oh and I take Omega 3. But my initial omni stage was just adding fish. For a bout a year. And that had the same impact on me as meat/that was when the apathetic weird crying periods etc. started so I don't think for me fatty ratios make a difference.
I also notice I am clearer in the head and feel better in the body and soul without dairy, but more consistently stable and happy when I'm eating it (so I am no longer vegan). Possibly simply because it's less stressful than being a very vigilant Coeliac and also vegan. I got enough protein etc. as a vegan but perhaps it was some other nutrient. I plan on figuring it out.

Goodluck!
Beets&Beats is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off