First Marathon - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2003, 10:08 PM

Over the weekend I completed my first ever marathon!!!

I know that several people here have run or are planning on running a marathon so I thought I would share my story of the 2003 Chicago Marathon. The first 13 miles went great I felt better than I thought I would. Running at a 3 hour and 40 minute pace I was considerably ahead of my goal time. Between miles 13 and 15 I began to feel bad. My longest training run to date had been about this long and nowhere near this fast but I was still managing a 3:40 pace. At mile 16 it all changed, I slammed headfirst into "the wall." For the first time in the race I began to give myself walk breaks, I was hurting bad and felt completely spent. I am not sure which hurt more, my body or watching my split times grow at every mile marker. At mile 26 I knew I only had minutes to beat my original goal of 4 hours. Out of nowhere energy sprang up inside me and I ran as fast or faster than I had run so far that day. I crossed at 3:56:45!!! One day later I am sore but happy, I can't wait to run again (as soon as my knees and toe feel better). Congratulations to everyone who has accomplished a goal like this that you have set for yourself and good luck to everyone still pursuing your goals. My next goal is an Iron Man triathlon (I will need to train a lot for this).

In a related but sad note my heart goes out to the family and friends of the 29 y/o woman from Ohio who died shortly after finishing the race. I have no clue what to say about this but did not feel right without making some mention of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations, Ennui! You can/should be very proud of your accomplishment!

Yes, it's very sad about the woman who died.
#3 Old 10-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Whooo Hooo! Congrats!

Wow, ironman? I completely respect anybody who even attempts that.

Good luck with your future training!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

wow! good running! I love running but am not very good at it, and I am in to building muscle (bulk) right now so running is out.
#5 Old 10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats Ennui!! That's awesome!
#6 Old 10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
Sky
Veggie Regular

Congratulations Ennui! That was awesome! How did you ever find it within yourself to keep going after mile 16? You're amazing!

Taking a moment of quiet respect in honor of the runner who died.
#7 Old 10-14-2003, 05:05 PM

Carnelian, CaptainSwab, Magates, Slynny and Sky thank you all for taking time to reply. I had such a great time and felt so good about reaching my goal I had to share. As for your question Sky, what kept me going was that I believed I could. Anytime I would begin to doubt myself it would only strengthen my resolve to prove that I could do it. I highly encourage anyone to go after any goal they have, and if you need someone to believe in you I will be glad to believe in you!!!

#8 Old 10-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations, that must be a very rewarding feeling! Good to hear you're continuing your goals with the IronMan triathalon.
#9 Old 10-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations!!!
#10 Old 10-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Great job, Ennui!
#11 Old 10-14-2003, 09:01 PM

Ennui, the 29 yr/old ohio woman lived five minutes from me. she sounds like a wonderful person (so many articles).
#12 Old 11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui View Post

In a related but sad note my heart goes out to the family and friends of the 29 y/o woman from Ohio who died shortly after finishing the race. I have no clue what to say about this but did not feel right without making some mention of it.

Speaking of this, I know this is not common and I'm not worried about dying, though perhaps it is more common than I am comfortable with. These are HEALTHY people that are dying. Are there ways to minimize the risk of dying from a heart attack after a marathon?
#13 Old 11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

Speaking of this, I know this is not common and I'm not worried about dying, though perhaps it is more common than I am comfortable with. These are HEALTHY people that are dying. Are there ways to minimize the risk of dying from a heart attack after a marathon?

Yes, no one is invincible, even HEALTHY people!!.. you ask a good question!...

Bravo Ennui...!!! try is juggling now!
#14 Old 11-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

Yes, no one is invincible, even HEALTHY people!!.. you ask a good question!...

Bravo Ennui...!!! try it juggling now!

So so sorry about the death of the athlete, very very sad.
#15 Old 11-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

The likelyhood of that happening to you is extremely low. Think of all the thousands of people who finish marathons each year and there has only been what? 4 or 5 deaths or so in the past 6 years? (not sure of the exact number but the proportaioin is really low)

The woman who died at the last Chicago marathon had a problem with her heart (not heart attack related) that she did not know about. She would have died at that time running a marathon or sitting on the couch. Also, there has been 4 people in the past 5 years who have died at CHICAGO. Why that marathon? I'm not afriad of dying at a marthaon but I am supersitious so I'm staying away.

[instert all the you're weird responses here]

I guess if you are worried, check with your doctor to see if you get a clean bill of heatlh.
#16 Old 11-18-2003, 10:13 PM

I agree that the chances of dying in a marathon are very slim. I think it is very important to watch fluid/electrolyte intake, as hyponatremia can cause death if not treated properly. This happened to someone in the Boston marathon a couple of years ago.

In response to why people die in the Chicago marathon, I think it is statistical, there are so many more people there (40000) than in most other marathons, that the likelyhood of someone dying there is that much higher.

Also, there has been 4 people in the past 5 years who have died at CHICAGO. Why that marathon? I'm not afriad of dying at a marthaon but I am supersitious so I'm staying away.

[instert all the you're weird responses here]

I guess if you are worried, check with your doctor to see if you get a clean bill of heatlh.[/QUOTE]
#17 Old 11-20-2003, 12:53 PM

Congrats Ennui! I know the feeling. I ran a 26-mile marathon some years back, and thought it was the ultimate accomplishment. I didn't set any records, but I finished it in respectable time (under four hours).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page