Waking up... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Banned

Bloody hell I cannot wake up in the morning!!! It's not that I go to bed that late - I almost always set my alarm for 6-7 hours of sleep - but when the alarm goes of, I just walk into the bathroom, turn it off, and go back to bed. I'm hardly awake enough to notice I'm doing it!!!

I'm going to try multiple alarm clocks. I only have two, but I can pick up 1 or 2 more. My roommate uses something like 6 alarms in the morning. Does anyone have any other tricks??? I am wasting 8-10 hours every week because I'm so weak!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

You could just be one of the people in the world that doesn't conform to a 24hr day. Or just have an "off" sleeping schedule.

Either one could make you tired.

Of course you could just buy a few alarm clocks that have 2 alarms on them, set the first 1hr before you want to wake, the second for the actual time.
#3 Old 10-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRodgers View Post

You could just be one of the people in the world that doesn't conform to a 24hr day. Or just have an "off" sleeping schedule.

Either one could make you tired.

Of course you could just buy a few alarm clocks that have 2 alarms on them, set the first 1hr before you want to wake, the second for the actual time.

6 hours isn't really enough sleep

i know this isn't the answer your looking for but go to bed early try getting 8 hrs sleep and remember that it genereally take a little while for one to actually sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Banned

i have the same problem, i always end up turning it off... and sleeping 9-10h. would be ok if i was a teenager, but... i'm not.

currently i set my alarm to 1h before i want to wake up, and force myself to not turn it off, which translates into me hitting the snooze for 1 1/2 h. i set it on weekends too. yeah, i want to punish myself.
#5 Old 10-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Not everyone in the world can sleep 8 hours a day. Some people (like myself) wake without alarm clocks.

For example, my actual sleep schedule (all times with no alarm clock to wake me):

Week 1: 12am-8am (8hrs)

Week 2: 2am-10am (8hrs)

Week 3: 4am-2pm (10hrs)

Week 4: 6am-8am (2hrs)

(repeats)

This makes my normal day 26hours not 24 (given that most people get tired at the same time, mine's the same time +2hrs); or more accurately, my body doesn't recognize our time per se.

While this might not apply to max, it does to many people.
#6 Old 10-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Banned

The amount of sleep a person needs varies greatly - I'm pretty comfortable with 6-7 hours on a regular basis is the right amount for me. My best sleep was when I worked a "9-5" job and I'd sleep from 12-1am to 7-8 am.

Anywho, I'm trying this tomorrow:

Alarm clock 1: 745.

Amarm clock 2: 800 (it's in the kitchen).

The coffee machine will automatically brew at 745, also, so when I crawl out to the kitchen, there should be some hot black waiting for me
#7 Old 10-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I have the same problem. I am not a morning person. Even my son and dog have adapted to me, they don't wake up until I do. The only things I've found to help have been getting enough physical activity (like working out) and really annoying noises. Our bathroom is right on the otherside of our bed's headboard and when my husband gets up for work, the horrible sound of the creaking, bathroom vanity mirror being opened wakes me.
#8 Old 10-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, here's another I learned from Bart Simpson. Drink a lot of water the night before, you'll have to get up eventually ( hopefully).
#9 Old 10-11-2003, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

The amount of sleep a person needs varies greatly - I'm pretty comfortable with 6-7 hours on a regular basis is the right amount for me. My best sleep was when I worked a "9-5" job and I'd sleep from 12-1am to 7-8 am.

k:

I've heard about one study on sleeping. They put these human adults into a large building and blocked out all the light from the outside. They could get up when they wanted and could sleep when they wanted (sounds like heaven). I believe the light that they could turn on had the full spectrum like the sun.

Anyway, on average they slept 8-10 hours at one time and then 1-2 hours at another time. So what you have to do is find a copy of this study, show it to your boss, and convince him/her to let you have an afternoon nap.

And if your name is really Max Power, when you wake up in the morning, FEEL THE POWER. Crank up Elvis singing "A little less conversation, a little more action, baby". If that doesn't get you going call in sick.

goatee
#10 Old 10-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The coffee machine will automatically brew at 745, also, so when I crawl out to the kitchen, there should be some hot black waiting for me

Yeah, I was going to suggest setting the alarm 15 - 30 minutes before you need to get up. My dad wakes my mom and I up once at 6:45 AM and once at 7:00 AM every morning
#11 Old 10-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I am NOT a morning person, and each one is a challenge for me. After the alarm goes off (and yes, I do hit the snooze a couple of times), I go into the bathroom and splash cool water on my face right away. Shortly thereafter, I begin exercising. Situps seem to really wake me up for some reason, so I start with those and go from there. Of course, what works for me may not work for you, Max, so you may have to figure something else out. Good luck, for I surely know how you feel!
#12 Old 10-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Pip
Veggie Regular

I have trouble getting up in the morning ,too. Sometimes when the alarm goes off I hit the snooze while I'm still asleep! Plus, with the weather getting colder I'm finding it harder to get out of the warm comfy bed. I always try to force myself to peel the blankets off and sit up as soon as the alarm goes off. It doesn't always work....

Anyway, since you have an alarm clock in the kitchen you could drink a glass of orange juice when you drag yourself in there to turn off the alarm. Years ago, I read in an Ann Landers column that drinking a glass of OJ when you first wake up helps to raise blood sugar, and will help keep you awake(this was a column about people who had trouble waking up in the morning).I thought it sounded silly when I read it, but it helps with me.
#13 Old 10-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to set the alarm 30min-1hr fast, that way I thought it was later than it was. But then I got used to the extra 1/2 hour.
#14 Old 10-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

I am NOT a morning person, and each one is a challenge for me [...] Shortly thereafter, I begin exercising. Situps seem to really wake me up for some reason, so I start with those and go from there.

That's the other thing - I want to start riding/running in the AM. I LOVE running in the cold. Call me crazy, but cold weather running is the BEST. What's weird is that I AM a morning person, in a way. Whenever I get up, early or late, once I finish that first cup of tea or coffee I am good. Until then, I'm a *****.
#15 Old 10-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatee View Post

I've heard about one study on sleeping. They put these human adults into a large building and blocked out all the light from the outside. They could get up when they wanted and could sleep when they wanted (sounds like heaven). I believe the light that they could turn on had the full spectrum like the sun.

And if your name is really Max Power, when you wake up in the morning, FEEL THE POWER. Crank up Elvis singing "A little less conversation, a little more action, baby". If that doesn't get you going call in sick.

The Max Power sleep plan: Sleep. That's all.

Interesting study. I used to live in a city loft. huge 30ft. windows that barely let a drop of light in. I was daysleeping for the most part because of my night shift job, but the light really affected my sleep quantity and quality. I loved sleeping in pitch black darkness. Problem: I would regularly sleep for 10-12 hours at a time. Not good.
#16 Old 10-12-2003, 02:14 AM
Banned

Does anyone see the irony in my talking about sleep when I should, by any logical account, actually be sleeping?
#17 Old 10-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Banned

i'm a freak and i just don't get tired. so i kind of have the opposite problem. i don't get tired at night. if i go to bed at ten, which cometimes i attempt to do i don't fall asleep until 2 or so.

1-3 is when i usually fall asleep, and i have to wake up around 8 30 every day. so i get plenty of sleep. but it's a pain because i am honestly NEVER tired. very very rarely do i feel sleepy.

i should, with the amount i work out ant what i do during the day. it's very strange. my sleep patterns are much more normal/healthy when i'm with my boyfriend though, so maybe it's just because i miss him.

i dont really have a problem waking up in the morning. of course the intial alarm clock going off is a pain in the ass and not so inviting, but after one snooze i'm good.

do some yoga in the morning or something.
#18 Old 10-12-2003, 02:46 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I am not a 9-5 person and my getting up time can be anything from 4:30 AM to lunchtime- or later if I am working at night. To help me overcome problems in waking up- I have to get into a routine when I go to bed. If its really early I will have a bath and get my clothes ready. Then I will go to bed and say I am going to sleep for 7 hours and get up at 7AM feeling refreshed and well slept. I will keep telling myself this- and it usually works- helps you focus on the idea of getting up. I still hate mornings- but it seems to make it easier. I once talked myself out of a hangover using the same technique. I think you need to look at what you do before you sleep to help you when you wake up. Make sure you aren't wound up- make sure you have a good quality of sleep otherwise no wonder you dont want to get up.

hope this helps

Kathy
#19 Old 10-12-2003, 02:54 PM

Quote:

That's the other thing - I want to start riding/running in the AM. I LOVE running in the cold. Call me crazy, but cold weather running is the BEST. What's weird is that I AM a morning person, in a way. Whenever I get up, early or late, once I finish that first cup of tea or coffee I am good. Until then, I'm a *****.

Max Power, the answer is too easy. Put the coffee maker beside your bed.

And I've got two other possible helpers:

#1-- Get yourself a very bright (200wt or more) full spectrum light for your room. When the first alarm goes off put on the light. Even if you go back to sleep your circadian (sp?) rhythm for waking up might kick in. Make sure the light socket is able to handle the extra wattage or you'll burn your place down and then you could say you HAD a bed.

#2-- This might backfire on you but how about opening up the window really wide at the first alarm. The fresh air might help get you going. But then again the cold air might convince you to stay under the covers.
#20 Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkified View Post

i'm a freak and i just don't get tired. so i kind of have the opposite problem. i don't get tired at night. if i go to bed at ten, which cometimes i attempt to do i don't fall asleep until 2 or so.

1-3 is when i usually fall asleep, and i have to wake up around 8 30 every day. so i get plenty of sleep. but it's a pain because i am honestly NEVER tired. very very rarely do i feel sleepy.

i do some yoga in the morning or something.

Funkified, that is quite a pose in your avatar. I reminds me of my sister and I taking funny pictures of ourselves doing yoga postures. But that one you're doing looks very difficult.

I once heard of a guy who only slept one hour out of every 24. So maybe your just one of those people who doesn't get tired.
#21 Old 10-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I need about eight hours of sleep to be able to wake up not feeling too grogged. Any more than 10 and I'm totally grogged anyway. Maybe you should just not go back to bed after you go to the bathroom? The only way I got myself to actually wake up to an alarm is to jump out of bed like something bit my butt as soon as the alarm sounds. I have a GE alarm clock of some sort and it has two alarms in it (i think its intent was so that two people could share one alarm clock). You might want to look into a double jobbie like that one.

Also, I've found that what part of my sleep cycle i'm in when I wake up determines my awakedness. I can sleep for 6 hrs and be totally refreshed and awake all day if I wake up on my own, or I can sleep for 9 hrs and if an alarm goes off in the middle of a dream or something I'm dragging all day. I've always wanted a Zen alarm clock cause they're supposed to gradually wake you up over the course of about a half an hour so you aren't jarred out of sleep so much.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#22 Old 10-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Beginner

If I have problems getting up for a few days in a row, I block out a Friday night to stay up all night and into the next day (basically skipping a night of sleeping). This usually helps.

If it doesn't, I set my alarm on the stove. Not only do I have to get up and walk across the room to turn it off, it is very annoying.
#23 Old 10-12-2003, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

Ooh, here's another I learned from Bart Simpson. Drink a lot of water the night before, you'll have to get up eventually ( hopefully).

haha! it really does work!

<--- nerd
#24 Old 10-14-2003, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

forget it....these strategy's don't work.

I have a manual clock (the wind up type) and it doesn't have a "snooze" button.

It goes off, I have to get out.....

(you might want to set the alarm out of reach so you have to leave the bed)

But we are treating the symptoms, not the cause.

Why are you so tired? Work too hard? Stress? Why not earlier to bed?

I sleep better with fresh air (window open), maybe that makes a difference.
#25 Old 10-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

i knew someone in college who did that with the coffeemaker. she had a small 2-cup one beside the bed that started brewing automatically when it was time to get up. the noise and smell of the coffee brewing woke her up. she'd have a cup while picking out her clothes and getting into the shower. by the time she got out of the shower the coffeemaker in the kitchen had another pot waiting for her.

with incentive like that you'd want to get up wouldn't you?

what i find strange is that you get up and go turn off the alarm in the bathroom and then go back to bed. me, i can stay in bed all frickin day unless i have to pee, but once i'm out of bed i'm up. the odd time that the phone rings and wakes me up, i have a hard time getting back to sleep if i go back to bed after. if it's too early to get up i'll usually just let it ring because i know once i get up i'm up for good.

on that note if you have a cellphone you can set it to ring or if you know someone who is always up early have them call you in the morning, most people wake up for a ringing phone.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#26 Old 10-14-2003, 03:43 PM

I can't read through all this thread, so this might have been suggested:

You might want to look into an automatic coffee machine with a built in alarm so that the smell of coffee together with your alarm clock will wake you up.

Another suggestion is force yourself out of bed to go jogging or do some other exercise first thing in the morning. I used to HAVE TO sleep until at least noon, but now I'm usually up early enough to get a jog in. If my experience is any indication, your body will get used to it very quickly. I'm only foggy in the morning now when I've been up way too late. But even that's not as bad anymore.

d7
#27 Old 10-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to use two alarms to get up on time.

My main alarm clock is twenty minutes fast, and I set it an hour before I actually have to be up, because I sleep very deeply and I have to be able to hit the snooze button several times.

I also set the alarm on my cellphone, which is set to the correct time. Between the two of them, I can usually wake up on time.

My sleep schedule usually runs about like this:

Get home from work at 1230AM, stay up 'til about 3:30 or so, then go to bed. I don't fall asleep right away, but I'm usually out by about 4AM. I set my clock for 1PM, and I have to be up by 2PM to be at work on time.

So I get about 8-9 hours a night, unless I go to bed early.

I sleep with a sheet over my head for a variety of reasons, and that helps to block out the light while I'm daysleeping.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#28 Old 10-14-2003, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D7Turnaround View Post

I can't read through all this thread, so this might have been suggested:

You might want to look into an automatic coffee machine with a built in alarm so that the smell of coffee together with your alarm clock will wake you up.

Another suggestion is force yourself out of bed to go jogging or do some other exercise first thing in the morning.

Interesting you mention those things. I do have/use an automatic coffee machine, and the reason I want to get up earlier is to fit in some AM cardio. Problem is that with the state of mind I'm in when I wake up, I have an amazing ability to convince myself that I shouldn't run because it's too cold (or hot, or early, or late...) and that I can just put the coffee in the mic or that I really actually like cold coffee.

I'm pathetic.
#29 Old 10-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceryna View Post

I sleep with a sheet over my head for a variety of reasons, and that helps to block out the light while I'm daysleeping.

Oh man daysleeping is the wierdest. I used to do 4x12 and 3x12 shifts 8pm to 8am. Plus I had a 70 minute commute each way. The best was when I'd get home on a Thursday morning and stay up 'til night and go out drinking. I'd walk to the bars, of course, but I would be such a mess
#30 Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

My flatmate has funny sleep patterns- and we have thin walls. I gues my sleep is fairly light at the moment- and i sometimes get woken by his alarm. Remember the film "vanilla Sky"? he has the bit from that film on his alarm basically Cameron Diaz going "Open your eyes, open your eyes" I don't ever catch the rest- but it seems not bad way to get woken up. Maybe get one of them alarms you can record your own message and shout at yourself to get up. You could make a list of things you have to do that day- and your treat for getting it done...

K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page