Gaba for Depression and anxiety - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I was speaking with a healthcare practitioner who recommended taking Gaba for my anxiety and depression in order to decrease the prescription meds I am on for this (my choice to do the latter).

Has anyone else heard of this or had any results with alternative therapies and supplements for anxiety or depression?

I've been on zoloft for four years and klonapin for one. I hate the feeling of relying on these things for my mood, and feel its not helping anyways. I do see a therapist and I do yoga on a regular basis....

I just can't seem to find my happy medium...

agh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

p.s. I am/have recovered from an ED in the past 6 months. I am back to my normal weight and am healthy, I figured once that happened my depression would ease up but this is not so....
#3 Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to know everyone's replies as well. I also suffer from the same ailments and have prescribed abilify which I have been petrified to start taking. Antipsychotics scare me and I'd rather take something natural with no scary side effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Banned

when i had just come off effexor (and had bad enough discontinuation symptoms to make it hard for me to function) i used st johns wort, in a tincture. it worked really well. it might be worth looking into with your doctor, but it shouldn't be used while you're still on other antidepressants, does interact with some other drugs and can have side effects.

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/F...perforatum.htm
#5 Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

st johns wart is supposed to be realy good, im considering using it myself. i hope you find something that works for you!
#6 Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM

With GABA there seems to be a lot of dispute on if taking it orally even works, as a lot of people/research says it can't cross the BBB (at least not noticiably without a mega-dose). On the other hand, there are some people out there who I've read have had success with it; who know's if it's placebo though.

If you want to try to increase GABA directly you'd have more luck with something like Phenibut, which in effect can cross the BBB and agonizes GABA once across. The problem is it will have withdrawal effects if used everyday/long term. It's compared a lot to benzo's, especially valium (a lot of people say it's like "time release valium"), and works under at least some of the same mechanisms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page