Wisdom Teeth... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I was told at the dentist today that in about 6 months, I will probably have to have my wisdom teeth taken out.

I am TERRIFIED. I always have been, and I thought that my wisdom teeth were never going to be a problem. I dunno, I'm just really freaked out about it. I came home and started bawling and shaking and I could hardly breathe. Seriously, any kind of surgery is like a phobia for me.

PLEASE don't respond with horror stories like people always do, I really don't need to hear that right now. I need someone to tell me about recovery time and all that stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

it took me four days to fully recover enough to eat "solids" again. with solids being things that weren't crunchy, but still had bite to them.

mine were impacted, so you may have a different experience. I slept a lot those few days after.
#3 Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I had mine out in seventh grade, and I had a phobia about surgery too. I actually had a panic attack in the waiting room and had to have it delayed.

It was all for nothing. I had a fantastic recovery. That evening I wrote a really great passage in my novel (under pain meds! Who would have thought?) and was able to have a liquid meal. I started eating soft food the next day and went back to school that Monday (the surgery was on a Friday). With the meds there was no pain at all, and I actually had fun fighting the anesthesia (later I said that I'd like to try that again without the panic attack to see how long I could last, lol). Having my braces tightened was about ten times more unpleasant than having my wisdom teeth out.

ETA: I'd recommend you find an oral surgeon to do the surgery. Unless your dentist is super-experienced and awesome, it's a good idea to have procedures like that done with an actual surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Did the dentist give a reason? I was told once I should get them removed. I really didn't see why. I had no problems, and I was brushing back there really well.

A different dentist said they were fine. I am also ok with getting fillings back there if necessary. I may need them for a bridge someday.
#5 Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I had two removed under anesthesia (I don't know why they did this, I was young) and the anesthesia was the worst part. In 1-2 days I was fine. It was really no big deal; I think fillings are worse.

Then I found an amazing oral surgeon to pull the remaining two (no general anesthesia just Novocaine and nitrous oxide), and I don't know how this man does it - but I swear, I was eating normal food that night. Not only was there NO pain ever, but after the oozing stopped in an hour or so, I swear I could not tell that anything had been done in my mouth. I've sent 2 family members to this doctor and they say the same thing. I guess it all depends on the surgeon?
#6 Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister's anesthesia wore off within a few hours of the surgery. She ate soft foods for a couple of days, but she was pushing her limits by the second day. I don't think she's had any negative effects of going too fast, but I suppose you could get gum problems or infections.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

i had my errupted top two wisdom teeth pulled by my dentist in the UK (on different occasions) with local anesthetic injections only, and i was fine, it was no worse than a filling really. i felt a bit jittery for a few hours from the shot (i always do though) but ate a normal dinner and felt totally back to normal within maybe 4 hours tops.

did the dentist say why they'd need to come out, give you options, etc? i've never had a general anesthetic, i reckon i'd be more nervous about that than anything else. i got to keep my bottom two- he only took the top ones cos they didn't line up with the bottom ones, so they'd hit the back edge of my jaw and not the teeth below them- which was annoying and occasionally painful. the bottom ones weren't doing me any harm though, so they're still there (i spose i'm semi-wise then?!).

i've still got the teeth- i took them home and tried to persuade my mother that the tooth fairy might be visiting me- she said that i was pushing my luck seeing as i was about 17 years old... but it might still be worth a try with your family!
#8 Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

What are you afraid of?

I thought the worst thing about getting all four of mine pulled was that I had to eat mushy food (I'm a texture eater--so applesauce and the like grossed me out!) They gave me a prescription for Vicodin and the only one I took was the one they gave me before I went home that day.

Below is my account of why the procedure might ever be considered dangerous. Once again, although I was nervous, the whole thing was more of a pain in the butt than it was awful--despite the horror stories people had told me. But only read on if you're interested.

From what I remember the only "danger," if any, is when they are impacted, or you have waited until they have completely come in (for me this was not possible as my teeth are crowded and could not afford any room). The danger lies in the fact that the surgeon has to basically dig the tooth out, and the deeper they are rooted, the more likely (which isn't highly likely) s/he would be to striking the major nerve that runs along the bottom of your jawline. If this happened (very unlikely), your face might go numb on that side. I remember them explaining this to me, and also seeing the xray they took. They pointed out to me how deep my wisdom teeth were, and how far away they were from the nerve.

I'm telling you so that you know, which sometimes helps quell fear? They made me watch a video before I went into surgery. I had to sign something that in case these things ever happened, they would not be held liable, and that of course freaked me out a bit.

I don't remember what the percentages are, but again, it's very unlikely anything will go wrong. ESPECIALLY if you are young and the roots are far from the nerve.

If you're really panicking, I would suggest finding out the history of the oral surgeon-ie how many extractions s/he has done and what licenses s/he holds and so on.

*You'll be fine*

#9 Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh.. Where do they give you the anesthesia? The scariest thing I've ever come across in my phobia world is needles that have to go in my mouth. That's why I have an extremely difficult time getting fillings. I'm terrified of needles, and I am not good about having sharp objects in my mouth.. Do they give it to you somewhere else? Does it fully put you to sleep or do you get to hear all the icky noises?!

Sorry OP, I've been freaking out about this too lately :/ Not meaning to hog your thread.
#10 Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Uh.. Where do they give you the anesthesia? The scariest thing I've ever come across in my phobia world is needles that have to go in my mouth. That's why I have an extremely difficult time getting fillings. I'm terrified of needles, and I am not good about having sharp objects in my mouth.. Do they give it to you somewhere else? Does it fully put you to sleep or do you get to hear all the icky noises?!

whenever i've had a local anesthetic, the injection has been in my mouth, cos they were numbing nerves around the tooth. a local anesthetic is just that- only the area local to the injection (so in this case, a specific bit of your face) is numb. they don't give you a general (the one that makes you unconscious) very often in the UK for routine dental stuff- though i'm sure things are different in the states.

there are loads of options. you can sometimes listen to music on headphones which'd block out any external noises, you can have a numbing gel rubbed into the area where they'll be doing the injection, so that you don't feel the needle, some places do hypnotherapy and relaxation techniques with nervous patients, and there is gas, which from what i've heard makes you not really care so much cos you're off in happy-chillout-land or wherever (never had it)... etc. a good whiff of gas and you'll not be bothered by the needle any more, or maybe even notice them doing it. there are sedatives too (drugs to chill you out and make you a little sleepy but that don't knock you right out).... and then there is general anesthetic (going to sleep) with or without some of the above thrown in.
#11 Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just really scared about the whole thing. I'm freaked out about a needle for the anesthesia in my mouth, but I've had oral painkillers before (I had a deady baby tooth wedged between two adult teeth, and they had to yank it. but since the root was totally dead and gone, it didn't hurt)... but not like that.

The dentist said they were coming in at a very weird angle,and on the x-rays I could see them pushing against my back molars. They don't know about my uppers ones yet, I'm having more x-rays done at the next visit in 6 months. They said if I don't have them removed they could become impacted and cause a lot of bone and muscle problems, so it was probably safest just to take them out. I was planning on keeping them unless they started to affect my bite or caused me pain, but they said if they go too far they can flare up suddenly and become a real problem.
#12 Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

yuh I'd rather just sleep. I've heard that for emotional or worried people like myself and possibly the OP, it's not that bad if you're gassed or put to sleep for a while. I've also heard that emotional people bawl after it's done, regardless of whether or not it was painful.

I feel a bit better knowing that I can have other options besides just numbing. I am insanely scared of these kind of procedures. I really don't want to be fully conscious for it.
#13 Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

Sorry OP, I've been freaking out about this too lately :/ Not meaning to hog your thread.

They put me fully to sleep. I think they gave me the option of being awake, but kind of jokingly because they didn't expect me to take it. I personally don't think I could have any kind of surgery with local anesthesia--I'd completely freak out.
#14 Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrple View Post

I've also heard that emotional people bawl after it's done, regardless of whether or not it was painful.

I did that! Shortly after I woke up and my parents were walking me out of the office, I just started bawling my eyes out. I wasn't in pain or anything; I was barely even awake! Of course, I'd been crying for hours beforehand, so maybe I was just continuing my train of thought.
#15 Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll be crying pretty hard...
#16 Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Baby Love

I was asleep when they took mine out. I had no problems at all with the procedure or the recovery. Don't worry too much about it. You'll be fine
#17 Old 11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

i was in an unaware not asleep state so I could follow directions and not remember the entire thing. My boyfriend had the same thing when his elbow was reconstructed after he was hit by a car at 16.

I dont' remember the surgery. I do know mine were impacted and going into the nerve if i let them continue. I was 14 when mine were taken out and slept for a few days.
#18 Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

SOFcowgirl, ask if they'll give you a sedative to take before the surgery. Explain your anxiety.

My family had no idea I was going to get that upset about it, but the next time I needed surgery the hospital gave me something to calm me down before it got that bad.

Geez, I feel like I'm spamming this thread, lol. I just feel pretty strongly about this issue because I felt exactly like you do and that panic attack beforehand is one of the most enduring memories of my life. And then the surgery was nothing!
#19 Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM

I was scared to death, because they gave me this huge set of horror stories about what could happen, and the surgeon even said to me that 'I think your jaw is going to break, because of how deeply impacted the bottom right tooth is.' Um, thanks? I don't know what else he said, though, because when he said the word 'chisel', I mentally ran away.

Nothing bad at all happened, though. Well, I did wake up before they were done sewing up, but I was still totally numb and not 'with it', so I didn't really care. That won't happen to you, I'm sure, it's a weird thing I have where drugs always wear off in about 2/3 the time the doctor thinks they will.

I was out of it for a day, ate non-solid food for a few days, didn't drink from a straw for about 2 weeks, and that's it. No problems at all. I didn't even use half my painkiller prescription.
#20 Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

They gave me Xanex which worked pretty good to make me relaxed. The whole procedure didn't hurt at all and it was quick. The worst parts were annoying, but not painful. I was ridiculously hungry afterwards, but my lips were still all numb so it was really hard to swallow (my parents found this hilarious ) I only ended up taking the pain meds they gave me the first night. After that it really wasn't sore enough to bother me. It really wasn't a big deal.

Oh and I am really afraid of needles, but they numbed the spots the shots went, so I shut my eyes and could barely feel it happening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page