Flax seeds (linseed) again! How do you eat yours? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Heya all,

I'm looking for ideas for what to do with flax seeds. I currently blitz them so that they're ground and plonk them on my cereal. However, I'm finding that I can't always stomach them as when I get to the bottom of the bowl I'm confronted with this 'mush'. It really puts me off, especially first thing in the morning.

I know they can't be heated (so porridge is out), and I don't eat a salad for lunch everyday. We always have a cooked meal for dinner, so they couldn't go there - meaning I have to get them in at breakfast or lunch.

Ideas and suggestions welcome, and I'm also interested in how much of it you eat. I currently have a heaped tablespoon of the seeds (I don't know how much this equates to once ground).

Thanks,

Cyr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, I eat low fat as I'm trying to shed a few pounds.

Thanks,

Cyr.
#3 Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 AM

Actually, I think you can heat them. I recipes all the time where you cook them. I'd like to use them more too, as I like the taste. We only really use them now in bread/tortillas etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrillia View Post

I'm looking for ideas for what to do with flax seeds. I currently blitz them so that they're ground and plonk them on my cereal. However, I'm finding that I can't always stomach them as when I get to the bottom of the bowl I'm confronted with this 'mush'. It really puts me off, especially first thing in the morning.Cyr.

I find that if you ground them up and freeze it, putting it straight from the freezer onto your cereal cures the mush problem.

Or if you don't want to freeze them, just try adding it to your cereal half way through eating it so it has less time to get all mushy.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Actually, I think you can heat them.

As far as I recall it's only the oil that you shouldn't heat.
#6 Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I just got back from the HFS after reading another post about the health benefits. I don't eat cereal, so I'm hoping to get some great ideas! I bought the seeds already ground up.
#7 Old 09-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I put mine in my yogurt and i absolutely love them!
#8 Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Can I ask..how do you put them in yogurt? Just whole/plain, or toasted or something?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Can I ask..how do you put them in yogurt? Just whole/plain, or toasted or something?

Oh, I just grind them up and then sprinkle them in. The best is to take a pot of yogurt, stir in about 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, sprinkle some more on top, and then let it refrigerate for a couple of hours. You know how ground flaxseeds can act as a vegan egg replacer in baked goods because they're a thickener? Well, they thicken up the yogurt and make it all custardy and delicious. I dunno, I just really like it
#10 Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I just grind it up and stir it around in my cup of yogurt right before eating it. I also like to add raisins and walnuts or coconut, because I always prefer to chew something!

It's also good in smoothies so long as the smoothie is good and thick.

You could add it to oatmeal when the oats are done cooking. I'd probably add a little extra water during cooking, though, to account for the seeds. I hate the taste combo of flax and oats, for what it's worth.

Try stirring some ground seeds into a jar of peanut butter. It works best if you mix just a little at a time in a separate bowl. If you store it in the fridge, the integrity of the fats should stay intact.
#11 Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 AM

Hm. I will have to try that with yogurt. A nice sneaky way to get in some "good fats".

#12 Old 09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Beginner

I dump 2 tbls in my rice porridge after it's cooled. Tastes good.
#13 Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'll maybe try the yogurt thing... I'm trying to wean into veganism, so cutting back is ideal. I'll have to add it to my morning smoothie I haven't had breakfast yet, I may have some oatmeal. Actually, I'll go do that right now. Then off to school... maybe this will improve my ability to take in info! You never know...
#14 Old 09-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I stir them into nut butters, hummus, salad dressings, oatmeal, cold cereal, smoothies, soups, and I add them to various baked goods. I read that you can heat them to 350 degrees and they will retain their beneficial properties, but mostly I eat them raw.
#15 Old 09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

They are great in oatmeal!

Today, I made Quaker instant oatmeal. I added the ground flaxseeds before cooking. Once it was done, I added soy milk and raw sugar. It was delicious!

If you're adding the ground seeds to yogurt, go easy. I put a tsp in and it took away the yogurt taste.
#16 Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

it should be ok to add them to cooked foods after they're cooked. i just wouldn't add them to the pot/pan while cooking.

you could also try something called Udo's oil. it's a combination of different oils to give you all your efa's. you can use it as a base for salad dressing or put it on your food after it's cooked but if you're not eating something that lends itself to adding oil, you can just gulp it down on its own. doesn't taste like much, the texture is what kills me but i guess you'd get used to it. it's pricey though and has to stay refrigerated

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

I added it before cooking just because... it only cooks for 1 minute in the microwave. You don't think it changes it's nutrition, do you?
#18 Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

2 tablespoons oil (yep) in soy/banana/strawberry smoothie in the mornings. does me a lot of good. i don't think you should heat it, the beneficial fatty acids are fragile.
#19 Old 09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You shouldn't heat it for long before eating. The beneficial fatty acids are fragile. You should also keep it in freezer.
#20 Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

April, I love the idea of adding ground flax to peanut butter, excellent thought. I think I might try that in my hummus next time I make it. As to the amount of flax a day, I do remember reading somewhere that three tablespoons of flax seed a day is a good serving. Flax oil and flax seed should be stored in the fridge, do not grind to meal until you are actually going to eat it. And I prefer the golden flax seed to the brown.
#21 Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM
DLS
Veggie Regular

LadyFaile, I too use Udo's oil mix, I like it best added to my morning smoothie, cause like you say straight from the spoon ughhhhhhhhh.
#22 Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Ooo, I didn't know it should be put in the fridge or freezer. I'll have to do that first thing in the morning.
#23 Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 AM

smoothies, cereal, oatmeal.. which i'm having now, also with maple syrup.. yum.
#24 Old 09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

it should be ok to add them to cooked foods after they're cooked. i just wouldn't add them to the pot/pan while cooking.

you could also try something called Udo's oil. it's a combination of different oils to give you all your efa's. you can use it as a base for salad dressing or put it on your food after it's cooked but if you're not eating something that lends itself to adding oil, you can just gulp it down on its own. doesn't taste like much, the texture is what kills me but i guess you'd get used to it. it's pricey though and has to stay refrigerated

I've read that you can cook with flax up to 350 degrees and since water boils at 212 F, I figured that I can throw flax into anything I'm cooking on the stove.
#25 Old 09-24-2007, 02:17 PM

I must be a nut then. I just eat mine plain =/ An old habit from when I had horses as a kid. We'd give them flax so their coats would shine(well, and be healthier all around) and I'd usually grab a bit and eat it.

BTW, how much are you supposed to eat in a day? Just as a general guideline?
#26 Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Flax shouldnt be heated. I dont really believe any nuts or seeds should be heated but thats just me. I eat all mine raw. I have a question for you guys though. How do you grind them up? I threw a bunch of flaxseeds into my blender today in my smoothie and they are so small they dont "blend" into anything.
#27 Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Today, I had oatmeal and added the ground seeds after cooking I pulled them right out of the freezer and I had no problems with them.
#28 Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I always added it to the peanut butter on my pb sandwich, sprinkled into my hummus in a pita, or on top of my fruit or veggies at dinner.
#29 Old 09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

You can grind them with an electric coffee grinder
#30 Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Best method has got to be chucking a tbsp of flax meal in a smoothie. I sometimes buy the blueberry flavoured flax meal, which I might add to oatmeal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page