Urinary Tract Infection - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

First I want to ask what the difference is between UTI and yeast infections. I have one but I don't know which. I tend to be pretty prone to them but they only last about 24 hours normally so I don't usually bother with doing anything about it. I have had this one for 4 days now and it is quite painful. I know I should see a Dr. but I just plain can't afford it. What can I do to treat it? I heard that cranberry helps maintain a healthy urinary tract and I have been taking supplements but it isn't doing much good since there is little health to maintain. I know nothing about this kind of thing, can someone give me any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

If you don't treat a UTI it can spread the the kidneys and bladder. You need some antibiotics. Go to the doctor.

In the mean time drink 100% cranberry juice and lots of water. As much as you can.
#3 Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I REALLY cannot go to the doctor, I have an outstanding bill at the only clinic in town ( over $1,000) and I cannot pay it much less can I pay for this visit or the meds. I might be able to afford OTC stuff but I can't get much so I need to make sure I get the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

A yeast infection (aka thrush) has to do with an overgrowth of vaginal bacteria, most specifically candida albicans. From what I know, its symptoms include itching and white discharge, but not pain.

A UTI, on the other hand, is unrelated to vaginal flora, but is an inflammation of the urinary tract, which can spread to the bladder (and further, I'm afraid). Do you feel pain when urinating? Is there any blood? I've had a few UTIs in the past, each was a bit different than the others. I've been able to clear some by taking cranberry supplements, but the last one I had was more serious: the infection spread to the kidneys and I had very high fever and was shaking. Cranberry didn't help much, but 4 days worth of antibiotics did. Go to the doctor (do hospital ones charge?) if you're in real pain, and request a urine test. Don't leave it untreated, it can spread. You could also go to a pharmacy and describe your symptoms. Feel free to ask any more questions, if you have any. Good luck!
#5 Old 08-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally429 View Post

I REALLY cannot go to the doctor, I have an outstanding bill at the only clinic in town ( over $1,000) and I cannot pay it much less can I pay for this visit or the meds. I might be able to afford OTC stuff but I can't get much so I need to make sure I get the right thing.

Rereading your post you said you don't know if you have a UTI or a yeast infection. You should go on WebMD and see what you have. I believe it is easier to tread a yeast infection without going to the doc (not positive though, never had one).

I don't know what kind of OTC stuff you can get for a UTI. Drink as much cranberry juice (100%) you can. Just keep forcing yourself to.

I once got a UTI but was taking pain killers for an injury, so the signs of the infection got masked. About the time I went off the pain killers the infection had spread to my kidneys. I felt horrible and couldn't stop throwing up and had terrible chills. If it spreads it can be very serious.
#6 Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I really don't know what I can do as far as going to the Dr. It is a small town so the Dr. and hospital are one in the same. I doubt they would see me unless I went through the ER, I think they would have to see me. I was really hoping that was a last resort.

Are UTIs sex related? That is what I have heard but I am unsure since that is a different set of piping.
#7 Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I drink cranberry juice a lot if I feel like I'm getting a UTI and the feeling will go away, but I've never used is as the only treatment.
#8 Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks
#9 Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

#10 Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are UTIs sex related? That is what I have heard but I am unsure since that is a different set of piping.

From my own experience, I've had UTIs every time I had sex during my period. I've heard from friends that they've developed a UTI whenever they had too much sex.

Would you like to describe some of your symptoms? You mentioned pain. Perhaps we can help.
#11 Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

They can be. I tend to get them on occation when I'm working outside for long periods of time when I'm working in oppresively hot conditions without access to proper bathroom facilities and such.
#12 Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

do you have lots of white discharge and white 'paste' covering inside your labia?

that is generally the major symptom (along with intense itchiness) for a yeast infection. you can get OTC stuff like Monistat to take care of it.

UTIs are just painful and often you have trouble urinating (i think, i've never actually had one). i'm pretty sure you need anitbiotics for them. and yes, some women get them after sex (which is why you're supposed to urinate after sex) but you can get them anytime. drinking cranberry juice also helps.
#13 Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I am pretty sure it is UTI, I originally thought so but I just wanted to be sure. At first it just felt like I had to pee a lot but now it hurts when I do, the second day there was a little blood but that seems to be gone now. It started the day after I had sex, thats why I asked.
#14 Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Is there anything I can do to prevent them in the future since I get them often just not this bad. Also is there anything I should avoid while i have it? My younger sister used to have bladder infections when she was younger and the Dr. told her to avoid caffine. Would that be something I should stay away from?
#15 Old 08-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I should also add, that the symptoms, especially the obvious ones, like the bleeding, may subside, but that doesn't mean that the infection has cleared. That's why I suggested the urine test. Trust me, you want to play it safe with a UTI. In the future, you could use cranberry supplements as a preventive measure.
#16 Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes it'll hurt when I pee, and that is the only sign of a yeast infection for me. I've gone and gotten tested and they will tell me I don't have a UTI. I've had UTIs before and they show up the same for me.

If you're taking the cranberry suppliments sometimes that can make it hurt for you to pee. You might try stopping those for a few days and seeing if that will help.

I've taken massive amounts of cranberry pills for a couple of days and then stopped to see if it quit hurting to pee a few days later when I had no job and couldn't afford the Dr. but I don't reccomend it. Drink as much water as you can force yourself to.

ETA: If there has been blood I would go the Dr. however you have to. My mom waited to go to the Dr. when we were little and she had kidney damage from it.

Things that can help in the future are peeing and washing with water right after sex, not wearing underwear or if you must wearing only cotton, breathable underwear, drinking lots of water, and avoiding caffine.
#17 Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink coffee, and have never heard that caffeine might aggravate it. As I said, cranberry helps (especially the capsules), and keeping basic hygiene (like urinating and bathing after sex, for example). I can't advice you not to have too much sex , but I avoid penetrative sex during my period.

ETA: Just saw TBT's post, and remembered: when taking cranberry pills, you're advised to drink a lot of water, which helps with the UTI, as it flushes out the bladder frequently. Don't overdo it with the cranberry pills, please follow the instructions on the packet. Cranberry pills have saved me, and they've often stopped the pain for me.
#18 Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. I think I will continue with the cranberry supplements to prevent it in the future, and I am drinking as much water as I can but I work in a library from 8am-5pm and food and drink are not allowed but when I get a chance I try to go to the fountain and I will try to drink 3-4 glasses on my lunch break.

Oh and thanks for the super fast responses, yall are a big help!
#19 Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

did you urinate after sex? that can help (as mentioned in my post above).
#20 Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks. I think I will continue with the cranberry supplements to prevent it in the future, and I am drinking as much water as I can but I work in a library from 8am-5pm and food and drink are not allowed but when I get a chance I try to go to the fountain and I will try to drink 3-4 glasses on my lunch break.

Oh and thanks for the super fast responses, yall are a big help!

I would sneak some water or cranberry juice in.
#21 Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to get a lot of UTIs and I was told that I and my partner should try to urinate before and after sex and to make sure we had good hygiene especially in regard to wiping after going to the bathroom.

I used to use sachets of powder which you can buy over the counter to mix with water and drink. They would help if I caught it early enough.
#22 Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Beginner

I used to get UTIs all the time and most of them were sex related. It is the worst feeling ever! I would like to mention that although there are some OTC meds that can help relieve your symptoms, there is NOTHING that can cure it. It is extremely important to get antibiotics for it before you end up in the hospital from kidney infection.. resulting in an even bigger bill.

Also I would like to mention that UTIs and chlamydia have the same symptoms, so you might want to get tested.. especially if it feels like it goes away but then comes back.

Hope you are feeling better!
#23 Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I do not have money top go get juice but, of course I am drinking a lot of water, I normally do anyway.

Catswym, I do not make a point of it if I do not need to. I had never heard that before. I will keep that in mind though.
#24 Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout726 View Post

Also I would like to mention that UTIs and chlamydia have the same symptoms, so you might want to get tested.. especially if it feels like it goes away but then comes back.

Hope you are feeling better!

I won't say chlamydia is impossible but it is VERY doubtful, I have only been with my bf and he was only with one girl before me and he got tested when we first started dating. So if that is what it is then he would have MAJOR explaining to do. I am pretty sure that it is only a UTI.
#25 Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Sally, basically do what you can with your budget. If you can swing it go for the juice (not cocktail).

But, if the problem persists or you begin to feel slight back pain on the sides (this is a sign that the infection is begining to get into the kidney) you should find a way to get to the doc.
#26 Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

If you've had it for four days, then you really have to go to the doctor. Honestly, if I have symptoms for more than four hours I go. It's been possible for me to drink water and cranberry juice when I have that first inkling that I might be getting one and then somehow stave it off and have no more symptoms, but once it hurts or the urgency starts, it's all over. It may go away for a few days -- even a week -- but then it comes back with a vengence, and I go to the doctor.

I just skip all that pain and go right away now. You can get put on a payment plan. There's no interest on hospital bills, so you can wait until you're better off, if money's your problem. You may even be able to find a clinic in your area that has a sliding scale. Just don't ignore it. UTIs are minor annoyancs -- the kidney problems caused by untreated UTIs are downright dangerous. Don't let it get that far.

After you get treated, make sure you do the following:

-- watch your hygene and that you're wiping front to back

-- urinate before and after sex

-- have a small glass of pure cranberry juice or a large glass of water after sex. (the cranberry juice has those wonderful UTI-battling ingredients, so it's good if you can do that, but a good amount of water will make you pee which should also flush out any bad bacteria)

-- avoid caffeine and very spicy foods (particularly if you get UTIs easily)

Having cranberry juice regularly helps. I have a glass about once a week now and it's been a good year or so since I had a UTI, which is very, very nice considering how frequent they were for a while. I've also had to cut down my frequency of eating spicy foods, which is sad because I like them so much, and I believe that's been helpful, too. On the days I do have spicy food, I also have cranberry juice. It's working.

Anyway... don't risk your health because of money. Protecting your organs is one of the few good excuses for going into debt.
#27 Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish it was an issue of debt, I really do not think they will see me at all with a long outstanding bill, it is a 4 hour drive to the nearest Dr. other than the one hospital here in town. I might just have to go through the ER if it doesnt go away very soon.
#28 Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Just a quick question --

Your profile says you're a student. Is there no health center on your campus that can take care of you?

I don't know... maybe you've graduated since you wrote your profile, so it could be a moot point, but the on-campus health center at my college saved me on a regular basis. It was a $3 copay per visit and $2 for prescriptions and the care was excellent -- better than anything I've had before or since.
#29 Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

A yeast infection (aka thrush) has to do with an overgrowth of vaginal bacteria, most specifically candida albicans. From what I know, its symptoms include itching and white discharge, but not pain.

A yeast infection is an overgrowth of YEAST which is not bacteria. Hence the reason antibiotics CAUSE yeast infections, and do not prevent them.

If you have the money for home diagnostics, you can buy both UTI and Yeast Infection home diagnostic kits from the pharmacy.

The only reason I ever had pain urinating with a yeast infection was because my skin got all irritated from the yeast and the urine burned it. Yow. Typically though, yeast infections are crazy bad itch and VAGINAL discharge. UTI occurs in the urethra which is separate from your vagina, and will cause burning pain, an increased need to urinate, and sometimes blood in your urine. It sounds more like you have UTI than a yeast infection.

The ER is going to be insanely expensive. My insurance co-pay on an ER visit is about $200. Moreso than a doctors visit at a doctors office (which is more expensive than a clinic visit, which you've already vetoed). Is there a planned parenthood around you could go to? Or could a family member or friend loan you money to go see a doctor? You really really don't want a kidney infection. Meanwhile, just keep drinking. It helps flush the bacteria. You might try taking more vitamin C too if you have it to help acidify your urine. Eating yogurt or taking acidophilous to increase good bacteria won't hurt either way.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

No, it is a 3,000 student school so we have the equivelent of a high school nurse. I have seen him a few times and he always says "see a doctor". Mostly he is just there to hand out tylenol and condoms. It is great if I just need an OTC treatment because I can get it free usually, but I don't know what he could do for me now. I actually had not thought about that though, I might just stop by just in case he can do something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page