Is there a vegan on MAOI's? tyramine questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I only saw one thread from two years ago mentioning MAOI's. I've decided I need to go back to an older type of antidepressant called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. I've been on SSRI's for nearly twenty years, and also tricyclics and atypicals (plus of course lots of psychotherapy). Nothing has worked as well as the MAOI I used for awhile many years ago.

There's a restricted diet that goes along with it, though. (one of the reasons people don't use these very much - b/c no one complies!) No aged/cured foods, like cheese or sausage or some beers/wines, sauerkraut.

Now that I'm vegan, I'm going to have problems because soy products are out, as well as yeast. I guess I'll just have to do without the soy, just like some vegans who are soy-intolerant. But does anyone know about nutritional yeast?

It's not listed on any of the medical literature, and my doc is positive the manufacturers would never want to do assays on it. I really need to know how much tyramine is in nutritional yeast. Any other help on other foods would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

From what I can tell, it is an actual kind of yeast, so I would guess it's probably off-limits to you.
#3 Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I think so, too. So where do I get my B-12 from, if not yeast or soy milk? I guess I have to find a vegan non-soy non-yeast supplement. sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

An under-the-tongue lozenge or syrup would probably be bacterial or synthetic in origin. I am not positive about that, but I am hoping that will steer you closer to the right direction.
#5 Old 10-15-2018, 08:10 PM

Brewer's Yeast OK with MAOI

Did you ever find an answer to your question? I found a scientific refereed journal article, stating that brewer's yeast is fine with MAOIs. The information is on the bottom of the second page of the article. It's actually quite helpful, and discusses how different foods become off-limits, and how some of that was not good science.

It won't let me post the link, but you should be able to google the title and authors:

JOURNAL OF
FOOD COMPOSITION
AND ANALYSIS
Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 19 (2006) S58–S65
Critical Review
Tyramine in foods and monoamine oxidase inhibitor drugs: A crossroad
where medicine, nutrition, pharmacy, and food industry converge
Beverly J. McCabe-Sellers, Cathleen G. Staggs, Margaret L. Bogle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page