And my bloodwork says.......! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 PM

well....actually just spoke to the nurse. I'll talk to the Dr. next week. She just gave me a few details that I was concerned about.

My OBGYN had a complete blood panel done on me....and I ask them to also check my protien, B12, and calcium, just so I can make sure everything is okay. I've been a very strick vegetarian (vegan even!) for over a year now and I wanted to make sure I was getting all my nutrients etc.

Protien..... normal.

B12......I actually had too much! So I guess I can cut back on the supplements!

Calcium.....I was only 1/10th lower than the normal range. I can work with that.

But here's the kicker....

Cholesterol ....was 165, which she said was good, but I, of course, had to get specifics....

the HDL (good)...51 (35 - 85 range)...hmmmmm

the LDL (bad)....96 (0 - 126) I was hoping it would be in the 30's or 40's at least!

Are there any health professionals out there that can give me some insight on my cholesterol and how I can get it to go lower?? This is going to drive me crazy before I can talk to the doctor. I eat better than I ever have before. I really wasn't expecting my bad cholesterol to be such a high number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you in the US? Cholesterol numbers are different depending on what country you are from.
#3 Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsysoul View Post

B12......I actually had too much! So I guess I can cut back on the supplements!

B12 is not as huge a deal as people keep saying. If you're consuming even a trace amount of animal products even once a week or so, and you're otherwise healthy and able to absorb it, you'll get plenty of B12 and there's no need for suppliments, you're just wasting money. RELAX!!

The rest of it? geez, don't beat yourself up, those numbers are good! "Bad" cholesterol can be hereditary. Ways to lower it include eating soy. 25 grams of soy protein per day can help lower "bad" cholesterol. Also lots of soluble fiber. Use an online resource to check how much fiber you're actually getting.

I really think you're being rather a hypochondriac however, since those numbers are actually well within "normal" ranges. Wait (PATIENTLY!!) and see what your Doctor recommends. VB is not a health care service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

guava can lower cholesterol i think. my mom tried it, it has to be the real deal, nectar if possible, she hated it. it has a really strong taste but i think you could get used to it, i didn't mind it

whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, other than that i know there are other foods that are supposed to help but i can't remember, do a search online i'm sure there's info out there about it.

if you are otherwise healthy i wouldn't worry about it too much but eating healthy is always a good idea regardless so try to lower it by what you eat not by taking pills and you'll be better off in other ways also

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Beginner

your cholesterol could be high because you're technically still consuming dairy, if you go vegan then it will be much lower. Make sure you eat whole grains, lots and lots of veggies and fruits, and drink plenty of water in order to flush toxins and other icky things out.

As for the soy, I wouldn't really recommend soy at all. It is screwy with the body's horomones and it'll do some weird things to your body, acne, moodiness, weight gain, just to name a few. Just stick to natural whole foods!
#6 Old 06-29-2007, 07:13 AM

Thanks, for the ideas. That 96 just threw me off a bit, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. I do eat soy.....I drink soy milk and on occassion a boca burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odalys View Post

your cholesterol could be high because you're technically still consuming dairy, if you go vegan then it will be much lower. !

I don't drink milk (or any dairy/cheese) or eggs. The only time I might occassionally consume a little is if there's traces of it in the ingredients of other products that I'm eating....and that's strickly limited also. More often than not, it goes back on the shelf. I consider my diet a fairly healthy one...even managed to lose a few pounds....so I was just hoping to see lower numbers in the cholesterol dept.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not going to let it worry me too much.
#7 Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odalys View Post

your cholesterol could be high because you're technically still consuming dairy

I have problems with this post in so many ways!

1.) First, the OP's cholesterol is not "HIGH"! It's well in the normal range.

Quote:
if you go vegan then it will be much lower

2.) The OP SAID they were "almost" vegan. Trace amounts will, in all liklihood, NOT affect cholesterol - and again, the cholesterol isn't even that high!!

Telling them to "go vegan" is a nice idea, and a misconception we vegans like to perpetuate, but many other factors are involved as well and "going vegan" - while healthy indeed, isn't the magic bullet for everyone. It does NOT always lower cholesterol. Check your facts!!

Quote:
drink plenty of water in order to flush toxins and other icky things out.

3.) Drinking water is healthy, but isn't going to help with the cholesterol part. It does NOT "flush out" cholesterol.

Quote:
As for the soy, I wouldn't really recommend soy at all. It is screwy with the body's horomones and it'll do some weird things to your body, acne, moodiness, weight gain, just to name a few

4.) Again, check your facts for crying out loud! Most of these are myths perpetuated by the meat and dairy industries. And while soy does occasionally adversely affect some people, it's usually those with other problems - like thyroid - as well. Soy has a great deal of benefits and lowering cholesterol is one of the scientifically proven ones.

Quote:
Just stick to natural whole foods

5.) Soy can easily be consumed in the whole, natural, unprocessed form of edamame or plain soybeans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page