Fibromyalgia Sufferers... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I know there are some on this board. How do you cope with the heat and humidity. It makes me feel so exhausted and puts me in such a fog. I can't concentrate. My muscles start cramping...it is a different kind of pain than cold weather causes.

I am trying to stay hydrated. I drink a LOT of water. I do light walking during the cooler parts of the day, and there is brook nearby where I can go to take a dip. I also take cool showers and baths. But I have no air conditioning, I can't afford it. And on the days when I have to work, I don't always have time to relax and cool off. Is there a nutrient that I should try to get more of? What do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Beginner

I tend to try to drink a lot of water for the fog factor. I know what you mean about the different type of pain. As for what works, I don't know. I've just been trying to do most of what takes energy during the hours of the day that aren't as hot. I've been doing a lot of trigger point releases with massages for parts of my body that I can reach.

*completely fogged right now*
#3 Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyla View Post

I tend to try to drink a lot of water for the fog factor. I know what you mean about the different type of pain. As for what works, I don't know. I've just been trying to do most of what takes energy during the hours of the day that aren't as hot. I've been doing a lot of trigger point releases with massages for parts of my body that I can reach.

*completely fogged right now*

Thanks for replying. I have been doing a lot of trigger point releases myself. My BF jokes about the fog. Whenever I do something silly he says, "it's the fog." I hope yours fades soon. It sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

It's interesting to read your post, because my Dr. just suggested that I might have "mild" symptoms of fybromyalgia because of the way I react to heat.

I had never considered this or even heard that hot weather affected fybromyalgia sufferers adversely before she mentioned it. I have no advice, but I feel for you, I really do.
#5 Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Veggie Regular

CatLady...you must have EPS or something...I've been really bad the past few weeks...I can still function, go to work, come home and do basic chores, but you are right, the heat does affect FM symptoms differently from the cold. I actually do much better in the winter. Although when I'm really cold, the heat feels good, and when I'm hot, it feels good when I can cool off. I guess the key is to not have it too extreme either way.

I can only sympathize...I don't have any worthwhile suggestions. I was looking up symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome because for the past few months I've been feeling a bit different...I guess I don't always trust the doctors 100% with their diagnosis sometimes. I suppose it's possible to have either or a bit of both. The symptoms are very similar with the exception of the pressure points...

Anyway, I wish you luck in finding some relief...and feel free to unload here anytime. I try not to complain in RL...I find with chronic conditions, while people are sympathetic, they must get tired of hearing the same old gripes all the time. Plus, I've always been the happy-go-lucky ray of sunshine in my group so if I have a bad day they freak out!!!

Oh yeah...the 'fog' is almost as bad as the pain/lack of energy sometimes...I was 'fogged' all day yesterday!!
#6 Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok...I'm not even going to fix the typo in the above post...EPS was supposed to be ESP...see...foggy even at 5:30 in the morning!!!!

And, I wasn't suggesting YOU were complaining!!! LOL....I think it was more that I started going on and on and I was complaining!!
#7 Old 07-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Ok...I'm not even going to fix the typo in the above post...EPS was supposed to be ESP...see...foggy even at 5:30 in the morning!!!!

And, I wasn't suggesting YOU were complaining!!! LOL....I think it was more that I started going on and on and I was complaining!!

Lol. I understand. The fog is the worst for me in the morning (of course, everything is). I've done some wierd things because of it. I'll go to bring my BF a soda and bring him my purse instead. I'll pour soymilk in the sugar bowl. It's hard to think sometimes.

I try not to complain IRL too much too. Many people who know me don't know there is anything wrong because I like to pretend there isn't. Luckily, my mom understands. She has it as well.

TNS - I hope you find out what's going on soon and that you'll give us an update. I really hope it isn't FMS, but if it is, you will find support among those of us here at VB who have it.
#8 Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM

I'm new here and have had fms and cfs for 7 years. Unfortunately I haven't found anything else to help my reaction to the heat in that 7 years. I just have to stay indoors during the hottest part of the day and take frequent breaks to make sure I don't overdo it. Luckily, I live in WV and while it can get pretty hot for awhile during the summer, it's mild overall. The winters can be killer though. Sorry I can't help, all I can do is empathize also.
#9 Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM

My mom has really bad fibromyalgia
#10 Old 07-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

They make cool-pack vests and such; mostly they market them to people with MS who have a similar problem with heat. If the cost is prohibitive, insurance or private support groups may help.

My sister believes her yoga really helps her fibromyalgia. She can get stretching that relieves some of the muscle aches without it being vigorous enough to wear her out or warm her up.
#11 Old 07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bios View Post

My sister believes her yoga really helps her fibromyalgia. She can get stretching that relieves some of the muscle aches without it being vigorous enough to wear her out or warm her up.

Stretching is very helpful for me as well. I don't know where I'd be without my stretching excersises. I do them several times a day as recommended by my physical therapist. I haven't actually tried yoga yet, but I do want to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page