Excited for change! (Starting to run, a few questions) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I decided to have a change in lifestyle this summer. Since I don't have school, I'm going to start running.

I want to do this to increase my fitness, and increase my energy.

I also want to build muscle and lose fat. I am quite thin, but I am starting to gain weight around my stomach. I know that's where it starts, so I want to nip it in the bud!

I've decided to get up early 5 times a week to go for a short run.

I have a couple of questions.

* How do I go about losing a little weight without messing up my healthy metabolism?

* Would it be better to run a certain distance or a certain amount of time?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Ankle Biter

If you add exercise, your metabolism should be fine. What you may want to try, though, is adding some weight-training to your routine in addition to your runs. Are you near a gym, or can you get some free weights? If your goal is to build muscle, you will reach it faster with some weights.

I would aim for running for a length of time rather than a specific distance because that way you'll naturally add some distance as you become more fit and you run faster.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM

I am thin as well and run alot...if you aren't look to lose much weight, then just the running in general will probably do it. The exercise will work towards weight loss, and running helps your metabolism become faster so that's working for you too.

I usually switch between distance and time. This is just an example, but you could do 3 days with a specific distance to make sure you achieve that, and the other 2 days do a shorter time, because it's good to give your body a little rest. 5 days straight of vigorous workout isn't good.

hope that helps

(yay my first post!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownose View Post

I decided to have a change in lifestyle this summer. Since I don't have school, I'm going to start running.

I want to do this to increase my fitness, and increase my energy.

I also want to build muscle and lose fat. I am quite thin, but I am starting to gain weight around my stomach. I know that's where it starts, so I want to nip it in the bud!

I've decided to get up early 5 times a week to go for a short run.

I have a couple of questions.

* How do I go about losing a little weight without messing up my healthy metabolism?

* Would it be better to run a certain distance or a certain amount of time?

Thanks.

to lose your weight, make sure you strength train. generally when people only want to lose a few pounds or so, that is really all they needed to do in the first place. once you build muscle, your metabolism will rev and you'll lose more fat.

it's better to do intervals, if you can. run hard for a minute, and jog slow for 3, as opposed to 4 minutes of slow or fast running... then do it again, and again (that's is an example, just mix it up).

have fun!
#5 Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Everything has been going well, and I can actually get up two hours early to run!

I've been walking for 5 minutes (warm up) then jogging for 15 minutes, then walking for 5 (cool down.)

Will running help me build muscle in my legs? I also horse ride so I need strong leg muscles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page