grains - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

so ive heard a lot lately about how too many servings of grains is bad.

whats the theory behind that? i love grains

today alone i have 2 pieces of amaranth bread,

3 pieces of pumpernickel bread

porridge

an organic wheat apricot muffin (and other stuff, but im just commenting on the grains).

I thought if they were whole, they were ok, and the only arguement was the refined..ness??

i usually put pulses in place of some of that bread..but today..was..a bread day. teehee.

yeah, anyway, not saying i buy into it..but just curious, as to why grains are bad for the body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Beginner

Maybe it's just the fact that carbs shouldn't be your only source of energy? I can't see another reason why whole grains should be bad! Unless you're buying the whole low-carb stuff... Where did you hear it?

Anyway, make sure your diet also contains a good share of vegetables and fruits, proteins and fats and you should be safe.
#3 Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I hope you heard wrong, because my diet is VERY grain-heavy, and has been for a long time. My idea of a "serving" is generally 3 or 4 times what the books say- a whole cup of rice (much more after cooking), 4 slices of bread...

I generally use whole grains because of their higher mineral, protein, and fiber content, but I do use white bread and rice sometimes. One thing I've wondered about: if you have a tendency to diabetes, even whole wheat bread might be a problem, as it causes a blood sugar spike almost as great as white (unless the flour is not too finely ground- lots of unground "wheat berry"). Supposedly, thick rolled oats (as opposed to thin, quick-cooking) also give a slower rise in blood sugar levels- but I find that thick oats may give me a different problem. (The opposite of constipation)

I try not to eat a high-carb meal very late in the day when I'm not going to be physically active afterwards.

Of course you should have variety in your diet, whether you're veg or omni. Why did your source say grains were bad in excess?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Baby Love

I've only heard of grains being less than desirable if you're eating refined junk foody grains or ... like every other food ... if you are only eating grains and not getting a variety of nutrients from a variety of foods.
#5 Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

wow

not only was that really helpful and deconfused me..but i also now have the joy of going nuts..on grains.

eheh thank you so much xo
#6 Old 06-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

You're supposed to have 6-11 servings of grains per day (there's no way I'd be able to get even the minimum and still be getting foods from the other groups, though), so unless you have some sort of condition, or aren't eating many whole grains, I don't think there should be a problem.
#7 Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

taurs its okay ......... you can listen to your body and norish it to eat well , grain are good , all food is good you are making good choices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page