Luna bars, Power bars, and other bars - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Sports bars seem to be really popular lately. I know that alot of people on here eat luna bars in particular. In addition to those, I've also had power bars, cliff bars, and balance bars. You look at the nutritional label and it shows that they contain all kinds of good stuff that we need but its hard to beleive that these are considered healthy when it seems like I am eating a choclate bar.

So what do you guys think? Are these things a good snack idea? Supplement to a meal? Or do you think they are just like eating a choclate bar?

Which one is your favorite? I've heard that luna bars are vegan, is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Banned

uh oh, don't get soilman started in this thread!

luna bars are good, but i don't eat them anymore. cliff bars are better. but i really don't eat them much at all, other than when i'm hiking and dont feel like making a compact homemade meal.
#3 Old 08-28-2003, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

They are vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-28-2003, 07:58 AM

I don't think that these kinds of things should be a staple in anyone's diet, but they are good for on the go situations. Much better than eating a candy bar, but definitely not better than eating some fruit and nuts.
#5 Old 08-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I know they make some people feel more virtous after eating them. Right now, the dumb girl squadron at work are all jazzed about Slim fast meal on the go bars. I only eat so called vitamin powered candy bars if I'm on a long road trip or hiking. They are convenient, sometimes tasty. (some are rather gross and taste like window caulk) and are more satisfying than eating a candy bar. I don't make them a part of my regular diet, besides at a 1.50-3.00 per bar they are expensive!
#6 Old 08-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

funny there was an article on just this in the paper here the other day. no they are not any better for you really then a chocolate bar unless you are a competitive athelete ESPECIALLY cliff bars according to this article because of its special make up made for endurance training of triatheletes originally. (they tested these along with a variety of others - I was thrilled to see a vegan one included) anyway the article said basically an energy bar is good as a last minute on the run thing if there is nothing else available but not as a every day staple, it is definately not a weight control measure as a lot believe, and there is generally way more protien in protien bars then the average joe needs. I tried to find the article online but it must have been a wire article and thus not in the archives.

Say
#7 Old 08-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I noticed that they have a lot of ingredients and a lot of carbs, I am sure they would boost your energy, but I think I could agree that some dry fruit and nuts seem like a better option...

I am a bad eater, though...

Don't take my advice, I would just read labels, and compare the bars with candy for example...

Also if they have a lot of protien and/or fiber I guess that is a real plus...
#8 Old 08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The problem with energy bars is the amount of sugar. They raise your blood sugar too quickly and can you feel crappy later. And they usually don't have a lot of fiber. Luna bars are probably best, since they aren't super high in sugar. Powerbars aren't vegan. I don't know about Balance bars.
#9 Old 08-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

As a general rule I think energy bars of all sorts are not a great idea. Like Javaprincess mentioned, these bars are really only suitable for athletes and those who are in training (not just "working out", there's a big difference). Most bars contain a minimum of 180 calories, and some as much as 300, which is the equivalent to a hefty snack (on the low end) or a meal. Most contain an excess of refined sugar and a lack of specifically valuable nutrients (like antioxidents and fiber) that could be obtained from a snack of fruit, veg or whole grain. Not to mention they are extremely expensive, you don't get a good nutritive value for your buck.

Energy bars are kind of like cell phones. Everyone got along just fine before the advent of the cell phone. Now, those who use them can't imagine living without one. Everyone, especially the generally more health conscious vegan and vegetarian, could eat quite healthfully and quickly (on the go) before these bars became available. So why spend the extra cash and calories on a fabricated sugar bar?
#10 Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat luna bars because I like them. They are healthier than a snickers bar out of the vending machine and make a nice pick-me-up snack when the 3:00 slump hits. I enjoy them regularly as a snack.

I tried Clif bars, but I didn't like them as much.
#11 Old 08-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It seems as though many people substitute energy bars for candy bars. I suppose in that instance they might superior (although extremely expensive). But as a substitute for a more healthful snack, energy bars are simply not a good choice. Perhaps you could choose peanut butter and crackers or an apple rather than the Snickers or the Luna bar? For most people energy bars are simply too many calories for a snack and not nutritionally sound enough to constitute a meal.
#12 Old 08-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizeen View Post

It seems as though many people substitute energy bars for candy bars. I suppose in that instance they might superior (although extremely expensive). But as a substitute for a more healthful snack, energy bars are simply not a good choice. Perhaps you could choose peanut butter and crackers or an apple rather than the Snickers or the Luna bar? For most people energy bars are simply too many calories for a snack and not nutritionally sound enough to constitute a meal.

Nothing beats a portable bar (I prefer Luna) when you're always on the run. I often don't have time to prepare food for myself, and I'm always running around from one place to another. I can't carry an apple in my bag without it getting destroyed (believe me, I've tried), and peanut butter and crackers are also not convenient, nor are these whole foods as nutritionally complete (Luna bars are practically multivitamins), even if they are more "wholesome." Luna bars are a great "tide-me-over" when the next meal is still a couple of hours away and I'm hungry, and there's nothing in the ingredients list about which I feel remotely bad.
#13 Old 08-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think they provide much benefit - I still consider them junk food - the same as eating a Snickers bar & popping a multi-vitamin.

And Luna bars are smothered in fractionated palm kernal oil **eek**

Like others, I like most of what Dr. Andrew Weil says (but not all).

Here is what he says about palm oil:

"Fractionation is a further phase of palm oil processing, designed to extract and concentrate specific fatty acid fractions. Fractionated palm oil, as found in food products, has a higher concentration of saturated fat than regular palm oil and is used for the convenience of manufacturers who like its stability and melting characteristics. The healthful aspects of natural palm oil are largely lost in the process. Ive noticed that fractionated palm oil is now a common ingredient in many power bars sold in health-food stores.

The bottom line is that of all these oils, organic, minimally processed palm oil is the healthiest, followed by conventionally processed palm oil. Palm kernel oil is less healthy still, and fractionated palm oil is the least desirable."

I guess they're OK if you eat one now & then (moderation rears its head yet again!), but I know people who eat one a day, thinking they're eating something healthy. To me, they're basically just candy bars with vitamins.

amy

ETA: here's where i got that quote. And Epski, tupperware works wonders for preventing the imminent ruin of fruit-in-backpack
#14 Old 08-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I hear ya Epski, but I'm sure there're ways to work around that. I don't think it's really necessary to have all of your RDAs covered in one meal, but hey I don't have to eat them .

When I start power lifting for the pro circuit I'll start eating Luna bars.
#15 Old 08-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

i mostly eat them on my way home from work, by the time my shift is done i'm starving and have a 25 minute walk ahead of me, so it's just enough to keep me going til i get home and make supper. i wouldn't use them as a supplement, but they're definately a good snack and healthier than a bag of chips or whatever, in my opinion.

i also tend to carry one around in my purse at all times for snack emergencies (ie getting stuck in traffic or whatever)

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#16 Old 08-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never really been a fan of energy bars because in general they're glorified candy bars. Now, I haven't seen them all by any means, but for the most part the ones I've seen are all either high fat or high sugar, and so small that I would probably have to eat at least two to feel even remotely satisfied. As far as convenience goes, I find it much easier to grab an apple - you can get them at most of the same places, they're cheaper, and you don't even have to unwrap them! If I'm really hungry, though, it's not like I'll refuse to eat them, I just prefer not to.

~Mollie~
#17 Old 08-28-2003, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I just ate one of the new ones: Dulce De Leche

Comparing Luna Bars to candy bars is nonsense.

Check that Snickers wrapper, and see how it compares to this:

Luna Bar (from the wrapper):

Calories: 180

Total Fat: 2.5g (1.0g Sat)

Calories from Fat: 20

Chol: 0mg

Total Carbs: 29g

Protein: 10g

23 vitamins and minerals, including Iron, Vitamin E, Folate, B12, and more.

The Luna Bar is partially organic, uses no white sugar, eggs or dairy.

Snickers bar (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s047p.html):

Calories: 273 (93 more than the Luna Bar)

Total Fat: 14g (5g Sat) (5 times the Luna Bar)

Calories from Fat: 126 (5 times the Luna Bar)

Chol: 7mg (enh, lower than I expected)

Total Carbs: 34g (5g more than the Luna Bar)

Protein: 5g (half the Luna Bar)

And a paucity of nutrition.

How on Earth do you think you can get away with comparing Luna Bars to candy bars? It doesn't hold up!
#18 Old 08-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat luna bars in the afternoons at work a lot of the time, because I don't even have time to eat fruit or munch on nuts or anything. I don't really get a break and if I'm there for 8 hrs and often don't get breakfast before I get in, and get no lunch break, I'd rather eat a luna bar than a candy bar any day.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#19 Old 08-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry if my post offended anyone, it wasn't my intention. As I said, I haven't by far seen or eaten all of the energy bars out there. I wasn't really referring to luna bars in particular, and I agree, luna bars are a lot healthier than a Snickers (though I still hold by my apple, haha). But I was at the store the other day and found several energy bars running around 350 or even 400 calories, once again mostly fat and sugar, though they do usually have a good bit of protein along with that. Luna bars are rather the exception to the rule in that they were designed to be healthy, low cal snacks - the Mesotech bars and several others really aren't, and those are the ones that are essentially candy bars. I guess you just have to be careful which ones you choose.

~Mollie~
#20 Old 08-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat Luna and Odwalla bars sometimes as snacks, or with a piece of fruit as a quick meal. My favorites are Lemon Bliss Luna and Cranberry C Monster Odwalla. Carrot Odwalla is good too. I don't eat candy bars; the amount of fat and unhealthiness in them disgusts me. I guess if you eat too many energy bars (esp. the fatty, sugary, chocolatey ones) it's unhealthy, but they're good every now and again.
#21 Old 08-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Oconfusedone makes a valid point about Luna bars being the exception rather than the rule.

Although, I'm certainly not "training" I'm pretty heavy into weightlifting and I like to search for new routines in Muscle and Fitness Hers and such. There are a ridiculous number of ads in fitness mags for energy bars that actually market themselves as "healthful candy bars," stuff like Mesotech and Designer Whey. They suck and are only for meatheads who buy into that whole protein power crap. Luna is a bit better.

Most have mentioned that Luna bars are better than candy bars or bags of chips, though, as if those are the only types of snacks available. While the bars certainly are more nutritionally sound than those types of junkfood snacks, there are other things one can eat. It's not really a Luna bar or Snicker bar only proposition.
#22 Old 08-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

ok, epski, you win - a luna bar is a powerhouse of nutrition.

even still, a luna bar is 1.5 ounces and a snickers bar is 2 ounces. then they can't be compared label to label.

But vitamins aside, I still don't think they're healthy. Better off carrying fruit, homemade granola, unsalted nuts, or some other less processed food. Especially something w/o fractionated oil in it ((shudder))

amy
#23 Old 08-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

At first I thought that these energy bars were great but then I bought a whole bunch of power bars from Costco and realized that the entire first line of ingrediants is some form of sugar. Then I started to rethink them. They really are nice though for a quick fix.
#24 Old 08-28-2003, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

epski compared a snickers to a luna bar. Amy you mentioned the size difference. i do believe that a cliff bar is closer in size to a snickers and other chocolate bars. and at 250 calories it comes closer in calorie count to that candy now doesnt it. but of course it wount be equivalent or it would never sell. althetes would just eat candy bars wouldnt they??!!?! so they reduce the fat content, make the flavours mimick those of candy bars or desserts . like peanut butter crunch or carrot cake or cookies and cream things like that, and they market them that way. of course half the time they taste like paste or in the case of clff bars which personally i like but rarely eat are actually quite paletable but way too high in carbs in order to achieve that and offer the energy needs to the trainning athelete.

btw there is about 10G protein, an average of 3-5g fat and about 30-50g carbs (thats a LOT) in cliff bars
#25 Old 08-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

JavaPrincess noted "i do believe that a cliff bar is closer in size to a snickers and other chocolate bars. and at 250 calories it comes closer in calorie count to that candy now doesnt it. but of course it wount be equivalent or it would never sell. althetes would just eat candy bars wouldnt they??!!?! "

Actually, probably not. "Athletes," in my experience, will do any number of harmful things to themselves if the product in question is marketed properly. There are many bodybuilders at my gym who slurp honey right from their little squeasy bears for the sugar boost it provides while they're trying to power through a set. (Too much at a critical moment will give you "the runs" just enough perks you up when you're lifting)

And lest we forget--steroids?!
#26 Old 08-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I eat luna bars because I like them. They are healthier than a snickers bar out of the vending machine and make a nice pick-me-up snack when the 3:00 slump hits. I enjoy them regularly as a snack.

Ditto completely. They taste darn good, AND they're vegan! No eggs, dairy, or partially hydr. oils, and they contain some vitamins and minerals; that's healthy in my book. True, a fruit salad would be a healthier choice, but sometimes, a fruit salad just doesn't cut it.

P.S. I hated all Clif bars until I tried the 'Black Cherry Almond'. It's actually quite good!
#27 Old 08-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Adjusted ounce per ounce, the Luna Bar still doesn't come close to resembling a candy bar.

Why is it that people are so hung up against these things?
#28 Old 08-29-2003, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to eat energy bars occasionally when desperate for something quick on a work-break. I have no illusions about the fact that they are in fact loaded with sugar, but I (like epski) consider them at least a step above candy bars!

My one complaint is the flavors available these days. I was eating Luna bars for a while and like some of the flavors, like one with nuts and cranberry and some other flavors. However, at least in my local stores, the flavors available now are almost always the candy-bar-imitation super-sweet chocolate-dipped ones. The fruit/nut ones were sweet but at least not freakin' frosted! Argh.
#29 Old 08-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally I love Odwalla bars, I like the peanut crunch ones and the super protein. That's it.

I also like Zoe's Flax and Soy bars, the Apple Crisp is the best!
#30 Old 08-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Mm.. I definetely consume a lot of these things. But I don't eat them because they're healthy... To me, they are candy bars. I treat them as such. They're naughty, they taste good, they take away from consuming real food. I've actually been kind of trying to cut down on my luna bar consumption lately.. and it's funny, cos I'm waking up at 2 am with Chocolate Peppermint Stick cravings. Hehe. Totally addicted, I suppose.

Story: Last night I was presented with Vienna Fingers (if you read my posts you would know that I am a cookie fiend and Vienna Fingers are my absolute favourite.) I turned them down in favor of the luna bar waiting for me at home. Hee! I don't know if this is a good thing, or a bad thing. It's curbing my cookie fantasies, but, well... It's kind of like replacing booze with smokes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page