Hair loss in vegans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
MJZ

I have been vegan for about a year now and recently (the last 2 days really) I have noticed that my hair is VERY dry and is thinning quite noticeably. I am 18 years old and male. i have always had what i consider to be nice hair thick and soft. I have heard more then a few times that this is a problem vegans often come across and may be linked to vitamin deficiencies. i admit that I don't eat very healthy mostly microwavable meals and French fries. I dont really care about the actual hair I am more concerned with any other effects these possible deficiencies may cause. Does anyone have any information about this problem? I have spoken to my doctor and im pretty sure she knows nothing about nutrition

Also can anyone recommend a good multi vitamin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned

MJZ...geezh mzh might be a good sign to overhaul your diet , cant recommend a vit pill , don't know which country you are from .All countries have different brands , but it might take a bit more than a vitamin pill to turn things around but it would be a good start .

I don't know about your cash reserves but a visits to a dietitian or a naturopath will help .

It might slightly be overdue to change your diet , don't know your situation re food preparation , if you are doing it or some one is doing it for you

There will be others that will post advice regard your diet etc if they dont , will dig some threads up for you

take care
#3 Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 AM
MJZ

Im from the United states. I prepare all My own food but i dont buy it. My mom just buys like frozen veggie meals she will not buy plain vegetables for some reason. Shes weird shes against things like eating plants and recycling......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Please count the hairs, that you loose for 24 hours. Lets see if it is pathological at all.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

thats cool you can prepare your own meals

Is there anyway you can do a shop with your mum , or does your supermarket allow to email orders on line so you can just pick up the order and pay when you arrive at the supermarket . Some will even deliver for a small fee .

Sorry cant offer advice on the vitamin side of things but there will be someone from the states that will post a good brand for you in that area .

Your iron/vit b12 levels might be down a bit , is there any way you can get a blood test to sort through that area
#6 Old 05-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

You can use sites like nutritiondata.com to give you a rough idea whether you're getting enough zinc, b12, etc. Do thyroid issues run in your family?
#7 Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post

I have been vegan for about a year now and recently (the last 2 days really) I have noticed that my hair is VERY dry and is thinning quite noticeably. <snip> I have heard more then a few times that this is a problem vegans often come across and may be linked to vitamin deficiencies.

A widely varied, whole-foods vegan diet provides ample macro- and micro-nutrients. FWIW, I am rapidly heading toward old age (well, at 44, I still have a way to go...) and still have a full head of hair. You should resist the urge to impose simple cause-effect explanations on complex processes. It is unlikely that diet has anything to do with your hair loss; there are numerous other more likely causes. Try searching the web and see what pops up.

Good luck!
#8 Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
MJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

You can use sites like nutritiondata.com to give you a rough idea whether you're getting enough zinc, b12, etc. Do thyroid issues run in your family?

well I have a condition known as hypothyroidism so i suppose that counts... why?
#9 Old 05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
MJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithFoxes View Post

A widely varied, whole-foods vegan diet provides ample macro- and micro-nutrients. FWIW, I am rapidly heading toward old age (well, at 44, I still have a way to go...) and still have a full head of hair. You should resist the urge to impose simple cause-effect explanations on complex processes. It is unlikely that diet has anything to do with your hair loss; there are numerous other more likely causes. Try searching the web and see what pops up.

Good luck!

I am not assuming that this si the only cause i am looking into other reasons but i have heard several time of vegans losing hair. Do a google search it comes up alot.
#10 Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
MJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

Please count the hairs, that you loose for 24 hours. Lets see if it is pathological at all.

err Im not real sure how to go about doing that lol i doubt its possible. At least with my counting ability
#11 Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

hair loss is a symptom of hypothyroidism, so it could well be unrelated to your diet. see this list of symptoms that i googled for:

Fatigue

Weakness

Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight

Coarse, dry hair

Dry, rough pale skin

Hair loss

Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)

Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches

Constipation

Depression

Irritability

Memory loss

Abnormal menstrual cycles

Decreased libido

if you have hypothyroidism, i'd look into that as a cause of the hair issues before guessing at anything else being to blame. it could be caused by a poor diet, but if you know you have a medical condition which could very likely be to blame, that'd be where i'd start looking. perhaps your medication/treatment needs reveiwing a little? did you mention your hair loss to the doctor who treats your hypothyroidism?

but by the sounds of it, your diet could do with a bit of a change anyway, so it might not be a bad idea to look into that, just from a general health point of veiw. if it helps your hair, great- if not, the rest of your body'll still thank you for it, right?

in my mind, vitamins are good as a stop-gap/top up, but you can't beat a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and veg, whole grains, beans, nuts, etc. tell your mum that you're really keen on improving your diet and health, and volunteer to help with groceries and cooking- thats often a big incentive for stressed overworked mums!

you can always start small- throwing a few steamed frozen veggies or canned beans into your ready meal... switching to whole grain bread and pasta, etc, and working from there. why not think about getting an easy vegan cookery book (i get mine from from the library) and having fun making new things- maybe start with some simple pasta sauces, salads, soups, etc!
#12 Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

^What she said. You may need to adjust your treatment for hypothyroidism,s since that's a probable cause.

It is also possible that a lack of iodine in your diet is exacerbating your condition though, so try to get some seaweed (e..g kelp) in your diet. Zinc deficiency affects your ability to absorb iodine, so that's another factor you should be keeping track of. Try eating tahini, chickpeas (properly soaked, or, even better, sprouted), pumpkin seeds and switching to wholemeal bread. You'll just have to kindly ask your mother to buy some for you for the sake of your health or go along on a shopping trip with her.
#13 Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM
MJZ

Thank you both I knew almost all of those symptoms except for hair loss. I just assumed its my diet because thats really the only thing thats changed in the last year or so. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism since i was a child and i know i don't eat nearly as well as i should. I will talk to my doctor about it and perhaps see a nutritionist if i can. Im not real concerned about my hair I was just worried that if it was a nutritional deficiency what else it must be hurting.

Can you recommend a wholemeal bread? I am vegan and I have trouble finding ANY bread even in the health section. We don't have any good health food stores where I live so i have to go to the local supermarket or walmart .

Ill look to adding zinc to my vitamin shopping list also
#14 Old 05-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

i'm sorry that i can't recommend a bread brand (i don't eat bread, and i don't live in america) but i can recommend a really easy recipe, if you want to try and make your own (i've made this for my bf before and it turned out really nice) :

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=5716.0

you should be able to buy everything you need for this in your local supermarket, or even in walmart! i'd suggest not using just 100% wheat flour to start with, but maybe cutting it 50/50 with white bread flour, and adapting the mix over a few loaves, till you find a blend you like. good luck!
#15 Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM

When I don't get enough fat, my hair starts falling out, so extra fat helps me. Normally 20-30% of calories from fat is recommended, but for me, closer to 40% is better, if I don't I get really sick, my skin gets dry, my hair falls out and it's really brittle. So maybe you're not getting enough fat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page