omega 3s - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

hihi

im sure this has been asked BUT...

i eat a fair amount of walnuts and green veggies etc but i dont think i consistently get enough omega 3. not sure.

so my questions are :

1. can you easily get too much? ie. if i start taking a supplement and continue on my reasonably good diet..is that dangerous? are they only for people who NEVER eat walnuts etc rather than filling in any gaps? if that makes sense?

2. what should i look for in getting them, if thats what i end up doing??

xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

I would say: think about trying to decrease food that are high in omega 6 oil, such as corn, and cotten seed oil, and ruduce you oil intake period. Flax seed, but even better chia seeds are a good source of omega 3.
#3 Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

I would say: think about trying to decrease food that are high in omega 6 oil, such as corn, and cotten seed oil, and ruduce you oil intake period. Flax seed, but even better chia seeds are a good source of omega 3.

DHA what is the long chain omega 3 can be found in fish oil, which is detrimental to the fish and the ecosystem an contains heavy metals, is only one alternative. DHA can also be found in micro-algea and is avalible through the internet. To much omega 3 probably falls in line with consuming to much fat in your diet and the health consequesces associated with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Beginner

I just read an article on the potential toxicity of Omega 3, if take in high doses. Actually, for them to become really toxic, you'd have to ingest 200 times the recommanded amount (1 gram). Which seems difficult, unless you eat nuts by the kilo!

However, Omega3 Have the potential to liquefy blood (a bit like aspirin). If you're already taking anticoagulating medicine or have hemophilia, you shouldn't take omega3 supplements without a doctor's supervision.

Vegetal sources of omega 3: line seeds, canola oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, wheat germ, tofu, soy...

(btw, I just came across a site where "eggs" were listed among vegetal source of omega3!!!! Can you show me that chicken-plant you're talking about?)
#5 Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

There are omega-3 fortified eggs available in many stores now. But only the fortified ones have it.

Personally, I put Silk brand soy milk that's omega-3 enhanced and ground flax seeds on my cereal, which I eat for breakfast maybe 3-5 times per week. I figure that's plenty.

--Fromper

#6 Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Banned

#7 Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

There are omega-3 fortified eggs available in many stores now. But only the fortified ones have it.

Personally, I put Silk brand soy milk that's omega-3 enhanced and ground flax seeds on my cereal, which I eat for breakfast maybe 3-5 times per week. I figure that's plenty.

--Fromper

Sure, I've seen the fortified aggs at the store. But what bugged me is the label "vegetal source of omega 3"...
#8 Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeguMan View Post

I just read an article on the potential toxicity of Omega 3, if take in high doses. Actually, for them to become really toxic, you'd have to ingest 200 times the recommanded amount (1 gram). Which seems difficult, unless you eat nuts by the kilo!

However, Omega3 Have the potential to liquefy blood (a bit like aspirin). If you're already taking anticoagulating medicine or have hemophilia, you shouldn't take omega3 supplements without a doctor's supervision.

Vegetal sources of omega 3: line seeds, canola oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, wheat germ, tofu, soy...

(btw, I just came across a site where "eggs" were listed among vegetal source of omega3!!!! Can you show me that chicken-plant you're talking about?)

At least in Germany there are chicken-plants - the EU still allows that.

And of course there are eggplants (aubergine) - but they don't contain omega-3 fa to my knowledge.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#9 Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

At least in Germany there are chicken-plants - the EU still allows that.

And of course there are eggplants (aubergine) - but they don't contain omega-3 fa to my knowledge.

Eggplants... They could have no nutrients at all, I would still love them!

Oh and by the way... I wrote an e-mail to the webmaster of the Omega 3 page and they answered that "since the hens are fed with line seeds, the Omega 3 in the eggs are still from vegetal source".
#10 Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

That's crazy but I think the public relations office told them to argue this way. More over you don't know if they don't feed fishmeal to enhance omega-3 contents of their eggs to get a better market price.

And eggplants - I love eating them sauteed with onion and garlic.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#11 Old 05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Flax oil isn't too bad if you blend it into a smoothie.

Mmm...eggplants. If I had one I'd be making bagare baingan now...
#12 Old 05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Flax oil comes in bottles that take me too long to finish, so the stuff goes bad. The ground flax seeds last longer sealed in a container in my fridge, so I have plenty of time to finish them. And they taste better on my cereal.

--Fromper

#13 Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I mix 7 TB Omega oil (flax, hemp,sesame, pumpkin, evening primrose oil) with 5 TB balsamic vinegar and use it as a salad dressing as well as drizzle it on food. I use it all up in 7 days and make another batch. Yum!

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#14 Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine came in a 250ml bottle so it should disappear before it has a chance to go rancid.
#15 Old 05-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

My bottle says eat 3 tsps a day so 3 tsps X 7 days is 7 TB. So if I eat the whole jar of balsamic omega oil a week I've taken the correct amount and have a better chance to use up my bottle before 6 weeks when it says to throw it out.

#16 Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

What is the recommended daily amount of flax? I read an article that said 6000 mg a day is the anti-breast cancer dose but I can't seem to fit that much in.
#17 Old 05-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I used this converter to figure it out http://www.thesage.com/calcs/measures.html and if I did it right (which I probably didn't) then it looks like 6000mg converts to 1.26 tsp by converting from mg to ounce then into fluid ounce. or you could convert from mg to dram and then fluid dram and it is 2.54 tsp. Try it and see. This is a math thing so I've probably cocked it up.

#18 Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks.

I'll have to try your omega oil/balsamic vinegar recipe. There are only so many things one can sprinkle ground flax seeds on in one day. Where do you get the omega oil? You don't buy all the individual oils separately do you?
#19 Old 05-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Veggie Regular

wow!!!! thats the kinda stuff i was wondering!! thanks!!

(sorry to be brief, in rush, this is just a temporary show of gratitude. ill be back!!)

xo
#20 Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Thanks.

I'll have to try your omega oil/balsamic vinegar recipe. There are only so many things one can sprinkle ground flax seeds on in one day. Where do you get the omega oil? You don't buy all the individual oils separately do you?

No--it is Granovita brand (looks like this) http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/440234.html

I buy it at the regular supermarket.

But the balsamic vinegar makes it really tasty on food. I agree about the flax seeds. I had some go rancid (well smell like paint) after 2 months in my freezer. i just couldn't use it up fast enough.

#21 Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

hemp, hemp, hemp. hemp seed is possibly the most nutritious food on the planet. i love hemp seed try it out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page