Bland diet recommendations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Beginner

I'm getting over a stomach virus and hopefully will be ending my modified BRAT diet (I'm eating crackers, banana, and applesauce) and I'm trying to figure out some bland foods to eat. Normally I'd start back with a baked potato and maybe some plain baked chicken but the chicken doesn't work for me anymore.

The only bland things I can think of to eat are pasta and rice, maybe something like zucchini. What would y'all recommend. Except tofu! I don't eat it becaue the texture makes me gag and this isn't the time for me to start trying new foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Is there a reason you're not eating the T, or toast, in BRAT? Whole grain breads would probably work for you. If peanuts are OK, you could eat peanut butter toast.

Can you eat fresh fruits and vegetables? If you can't chew well, maybe cook some carrots with a dash of oil. Do you like eggplant? I hate the stuff because it's usually too bland for my tastes, but you might like it.

If you have butternut squash, it makes a great pureed soup. It goes down easy. To make it as bland as possible, don't include the onions and garlic that most butternut squash soup recipies call for.

I don't know if you're vegan, lacto-ovo or something else. If you're lacto-ovo, I wouldn't start back in on the dairy and eggs yet.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I find oatmeal or cream of wheat to be nice and soothing for an unhappy belly! Some plain unchicken or vegetable broth is easy to digest as well.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

The tofu bits in Amy's No Chicken Noodle soup are really really tiny (almost too tiny to chew). You might like that. Have you tried rice? That or some other hot grain (even plan cooked pasta) might be good. As you add foods back in, try some plain stir fried veggies to go with your rice or pasta.
#5 Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

instant stuffing (check the label some are vegan some aren't)

instant mashed potatoes (can be watered down with extra soy milk to make a kind of "soup")

rice with margarine and veggies (or some uncle ben's ready rice is veg.)

Plain pasta w/ margarine (maybe spices/veggies if I'm up to it)

vegetable soup (veg broth cube, frozen vegetables, pasta, boil)

I'm the cook so when I'm sick I tend to stick to things I can make easily, or my boyfriend can read directions on, if he has to think it isn't going to happen.
#6 Old 04-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Is there a reason you're not eating the T, or toast, in BRAT? Whole grain breads would probably work for you. If peanuts are OK, you could eat peanut butter toast.

Can you eat fresh fruits and vegetables? If you can't chew well, maybe cook some carrots with a dash of oil. Do you like eggplant? I hate the stuff because it's usually too bland for my tastes, but you might like it.

If you have butternut squash, it makes a great pureed soup. It goes down easy. To make it as bland as possible, don't include the onions and garlic that most butternut squash soup recipies call for.

I don't know if you're vegan, lacto-ovo or something else. If you're lacto-ovo, I wouldn't start back in on the dairy and eggs yet.

I'm eating crackers because I love saltines and I'm not fond of toast so I went with what I knew I'd eat. I can chew fine, I was going to try some apples but I was warned away from fresh apples for awhile. So maybe I'll get some squash and cook it.

I'm LO but the doctor's office said to stay away from dairy for a few days after my stomach started feeling better.

Quote:
I find oatmeal or cream of wheat to be nice and soothing for an unhappy belly! Some plain unchicken or vegetable broth is easy to digest as well.

I have oatmeal, I'll try some of that. And I have some canned veggie broth, I may dilute it with water and eat it.

I'm able to keep foods down now, but the idea of certain foods makes my queasy. I ate some rice but the texture bothered me, but I have some quinoa so I may try that.

I haven't been sick in a long time so I kinda forgot what to do. I don't think I've had a serious upset stomach in a few years. But there's a virus going around the office because a bunch of people have been out. Right now I'm trying to make sure I don't get re-infected.
#7 Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

When I'm sick I tend to eat farina.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page