is it the caffeine..?! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

so.

there's always been controversy over coffee, right? well in my mind ive decided that its fine. i don't drink. i don't smoke. i don't think 2 cups a day will hurt me (never really feel like more than that) and have gotten into a routine (it varies depending where i am, but you know what i mean) of black organic coffee bag (like a tea bag, part soluble part ground coffee. although im assuming it'd be more soluble, yes?) in the morning and then at about 11 visit my friend who works down the road from uni as a barista and score a (free) organic latte.

thats not that much caffeine. plus its before 12. plus the thing is, its pretty much what ive always done, i think??

so why lately...have i been unable to fall asleep and hten waking up every few hours?

the first 2 nights or so it was sort of an 'oh bummer. oh well, ill sleep better tonight' thing but now its just how it goes. and its really frustrating. i don't know whats changed. i don't do stimulating things before bed etc., i don't understand?! im definetely not stressed.

any ideas whats going on? its frustrating enough that if it is indeed caffeine ill drop the latte bit. but i don't really want to if i don't have to :S

thoughts??

xoxo

ps. yes i exercise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

oh and i forgot to add, the other thing leading me to think quite suddenly the caffeine is effecting me or something, is that i never really 'crave' sugar. i don't eat it much coz i don't like sweet stuff, apart from on random occasions. but ive had pretty much constant sugar slumps the last few days. craving it, getting the shakes and that clammy feeling. y'know the one?

other than that im in peak health

sorry to bug you
#3 Old 03-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

When do you drink coffee and exercise? If it is in the evening, it can affect your sleep. Based on my experience, if I have caffeine at 8pm I cannot fall asleep until 3am. So it is seven hours between caffeine and sleep for me for me, but it may be different for you. I suggest a good rule of thumb is no caffeine after 4pm and no exercise after 8pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks seb. no caffeine after 11am usually. and i go to bed at 10 or 11.

and excersise is in the morning. sigh. i dont know argh so frustrated.

but i know that'll make it worse. so its more just trying to figure out whether i have to ditch the coffee or not :P (which would be tricky..)
#5 Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Try giving up caffeine. Caffeine may stay in the body for more than fourteen hours so it still may be affecting you, even if you drink it in the morning.
#6 Old 03-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Could be "spring juices". I have bad bouts of insomnia and they seem to be seasonal, hormonal, or simply cosmic (full moon etc), LOL. I hardly use any caffeine. What I do is reading before bed, and reading if I wake in the night. It usually helps but I do have weeks where I don't get more than 4-5 hours per night. It's tough. I hope it goes away for you !
#7 Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

Try giving up caffeine. Caffeine may stay in the body for more than fourteen hours so it still may be affecting you, even if you drink it in the morning.

I'd first stay away from caffeine and other methylated xanthins for a couple of days.

Taurushead: methylated xanthins means chocolate, too. And some antiasthmativ drugs contain theophyllin, which alsois one of the methylated xanthins and might keep you awake.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

seb, thats what i assumed. that some people just metabolise it differently and just coz i used to drink piles doesn't mean i still should.

lothar, yup , thanks for the tip about the chocolate. love chocolate.

high chance it could be that, housemate and i have a habit of late night chocolate. its not much, so i never thought of it. but maybe thats all it takes, because thats the one thing that HAS changed.

i went without coffee yesterday (trying to do assignments, lack of coffee, no fun.) but did have chocolate at about 10pm with the others and sleeping didn't happen.

then again, maybe its just a phase, like belgium said.

you guys are the best, so ubelievably wise and helpful!

xoxo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page