protein..but not 'how do i get enough'.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

so.

apparently im meant to eat 38g protein a day for 'optimum health'.

a few months ago i decided i wasn't necissarily aiming for 'optimum health' just 'good health' because lets face it, eating the same thing , alone, day in day out isn't worth being healthy FOR .

but this does have me curious. and this morning im back in my paranoia mode after months, its ridiculous. so 'above optimal' protein means more risk of cancer (apparently. and yes i know, everything gives you cancer. but this has more solid proof than the others. coz apparently grains do too etc...which leaves nothing. aaaaaaaaaa.). if im only meant to have 38g a day..then...what the dickens am i meant to eat? i get about 50g when im trying not to have too much! and thats with no dairy?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

argh i am supposed to eat 50 g of protein/day according to MY nutritionist.. and i'm pretty small. ugh.
#3 Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Seriously? Don't worry about it. People eat tons more protein a day than that with no problems whatsoever. Stress causes cancer, quit stressing.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

so.

apparently im meant to eat 38g protein a day for 'optimum health'.

a few months ago i decided i wasn't necissarily aiming for 'optimum health' just 'good health' because lets face it, eating the same thing , alone, day in day out isn't worth being healthy FOR .

but this does have me curious. and this morning im back in my paranoia mode after months, its ridiculous. so 'above optimal' protein means more risk of cancer (apparently. and yes i know, everything gives you cancer. but this has more solid proof than the others. coz apparently grains do too etc...which leaves nothing. aaaaaaaaaa.). if im only meant to have 38g a day..then...what the dickens am i meant to eat? i get about 50g when im trying not to have too much! and thats with no dairy?!

Ummm, so where did you get the number 38 from? Is it magic?

I get around 50 grams a day, and don't see a problem with that. Its something like 13% of my calories that are from protein.
#5 Old 02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

i know. its just...the evidence looked so ..clear.

and...i know. about the stress. this is the first ive thought about any of it for ages. im so SO much happier when i dont care. i dont care about weight, because ..well i just dont. and even if i did, seems i can't gain even when i try. and i eat well, have lots of energy, get vitamins etc, so if i just ate what i freakin wanted without thinking about it, my taste for reasonably healthy food would leave me happy and healthy.

but for some reason all these protein numbers and cancer scares just won't leave me alone. i just want to not care, because its a thousand times easier. but that feels somewhat...irresponsible. or something i dont know.
#6 Old 02-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

"technically" we're supposed to consume .9 g per kg of body weight. i don't understand how or why that number came about though.
#7 Old 02-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Haven't read the cancer paper, but: Did they correct for intake of meat, saturated fats, caloric intake, BMI, the works? Did they mention a specific type of cancer?
#8 Old 02-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

they mentioned a specific, but i dont remember. oh well. ill just ...not aim for huge amounts. but won't let it bother me

xo
#9 Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

"technically" we're supposed to consume .9 g per kg of body weight. i don't understand how or why that number came about though.

Interesting. That comes to just about 38 for me! (I'm 4'11" and 92.6 pounds). Is that supposed to be a minimum though?
#10 Old 02-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganClaudia View Post

Interesting. That comes to just about 38 for me! (I'm 4'11" and 92.6 pounds). Is that supposed to be a minimum though?

I'm not guessing minimum. I think right around there is just fine and would be more comfortable saying so if I understood the reasoning behind the 0.9 number. I'm going into work today so I'll try to remeber to ask my boss. My brother on the other hand consumes way too much protein (via shakes for body building stuff) and he'll easily piss a stone 1-2 times a year.
#11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

The range of protein intake for good health is very broad (and not precisely known anyway). 10 grams more of less isn't going to make a shred of difference.
#12 Old 02-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks, thats what i ended up conceding too i guess ill survive:P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page