Dry itchy patches - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting dry itchy patches on my arms, it started with one on my upper arm and then I noticed a patch on my back and another on the back of my leg. I don't know what it is exactly it started about a month ago and I changed my soap and so I thought it was my detergent. I changed it just last week so maybe it will take time to get the other stuff out of my clothes.But i'm wondering if anyone here is a doctor or has had this, i've never had a rash before that I know of so i'm a little worried. Its just patches with little bumps and its very dry. My skin is also dry and I don't usually wear lotion if that helps any. I was using lotion with essential oils in it and it could have been too strong because I have pretty sensitive skin. But its been a few weeks since i've used it. I use kiss my face olive soap and I have for a long time now so I don't think it could be that. Could it be caused by too much fabric softener because I do use more than the bottle tells me to use.

Any opinions on what it could be would be appreciated, I will go to the doctor but I don't really want to if I can do something myself to stop it.

Sorry for talking so much, i'm really nervous about what it could be, I hope its not serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Go to the dermatologist. I have psoriasis and didn't do anything about it for years because I dislike going to doctors. Since psoriasis usually shows up on elbows, knees, and other joined areas, plus the scalp, it's probably not what you have. If nothing else you can describe your problem when you call to set up an appointment, and the medical secretary can probably tell you if everyone's coming in with that and it's nothing.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Could be Eczema. That is weird extremely dry, sometimes bumpy, sometimes cracked patches that show up wherever. There are different ointments doctors can give you for it. I just use aquaphor for mine.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Could be Eczema. That is weird extremely dry, sometimes bumpy, sometimes cracked patches that show up wherever. There are different ointments doctors can give you for it. I just use aquaphor for mine.

Thats what I was thinking, i'm going to Whole Foods today because I saw some stuff for it. I will go to the doctor if the stuff that I get for it doesn't help, its really not that bad beside the patch on my back and thats probably because its close to where my bra is and its making it worse.

Thanks for your help rabid and skylark
#5 Old 02-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

nutritional solutions for eczema and psoriasis

increased vitamin A and D

vitamin a: many people do not adequately convert beta carotene into vitamin A. synthetic vitamin A is generally unhealthy and relatively small (non therapeutic) doses are toxic. real vitamin A is the key, unless one converts beta carotene effectively. pastured hen's egg yolks or pastured duck's egg yolks are rich in vitamin a.

you'll want a therapeutic dose of vitamin A which is 5000 IUs.

vitamin d: depending upon your solar availability (how much sun you are able to get based on where you live), the sun is a great source of vitamin D. you need 20 minutes of skin exposure per day in summer, and double that in winter (in temperate climates) for adequate vitamin D.

the typical dosage of vitamin D from various sources (natural such as raw dairy, etc), at the therapeutic level is 500 IUs.

balanced EFA spectrum

most western diets are too heavy on 6, and need more three. 3 months of flax seed oil (taken daily, internally, about a tablespoon) will bring the body to balance, and then replace with Udo's Perfect Blend with DHA--it's vegetarian and a balance of EFAs

completely non vegetarian advice (skip two paragraphs if you'd like)

the easiest dose/treatment for this is not vegetarian--cod liver oil. cod liver oil is great because it not only has a balanced EFA spectrum (3/6/9 and DHA), but it also has 500 IUs of d and 5000 IUs of A in a single dose (of high vitamin cod liver oil).

my husband successfully treated his psoriasis this way--a combo of therapeutic dose of cod liver oil and butter (raw, whole). not at all vegetarian or vegan, but it worked for him when no topical treatment would.

Thus--

experiment, try to increase the diversity of nutrients in your diet, try supplementing with the vegetarian oils mentioned above. see what happens. might take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months to clear up completely. i wish you all the best!

also, if you wish to moisturize with something very decadent, completely natural, and great for sensitive skin, i highly recommend unrefined coconut oil. i use this as a moisturizer, as a leave in hair conditioner (i mix camomile tea, lemon juice, and coconut oil and spray on my dread locks), as a bath oil (awesome), a face cleanser (rub on dirty face, wipe off with soft bamboo/cotton face cloth), and for food! yes, i eat it too!

unrefined coconut oil is awesome.
#6 Old 02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

nutritional solutions for eczema and psoriasis

increased vitamin A and D

vitamin a: many people do not adequately convert beta carotene into vitamin A. synthetic vitamin A is generally unhealthy and relatively small (non therapeutic) doses are toxic. real vitamin A is the key, unless one converts beta carotene effectively. pastured hen's egg yolks or pastured duck's egg yolks are rich in vitamin a.

you'll want a therapeutic dose of vitamin A which is 5000 IUs.

vitamin d: depending upon your solar availability (how much sun you are able to get based on where you live), the sun is a great source of vitamin D. you need 20 minutes of skin exposure per day in summer, and double that in winter (in temperate climates) for adequate vitamin D.

the typical dosage of vitamin D from various sources (natural such as raw dairy, etc), at the therapeutic level is 500 IUs.

balanced EFA spectrum

most western diets are too heavy on 6, and need more three. 3 months of flax seed oil (taken daily, internally, about a tablespoon) will bring the body to balance, and then replace with Udo's Perfect Blend with DHA--it's vegetarian and a balance of EFAs

completely non vegetarian advice (skip two paragraphs if you'd like)

the easiest dose/treatment for this is not vegetarian--cod liver oil. cod liver oil is great because it not only has a balanced EFA spectrum (3/6/9 and DHA), but it also has 500 IUs of d and 5000 IUs of A in a single dose (of high vitamin cod liver oil).

my husband successfully treated his psoriasis this way--a combo of therapeutic dose of cod liver oil and butter (raw, whole). not at all vegetarian or vegan, but it worked for him when no topical treatment would.

Thus--

experiment, try to increase the diversity of nutrients in your diet, try supplementing with the vegetarian oils mentioned above. see what happens. might take anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months to clear up completely. i wish you all the best!

also, if you wish to moisturize with something very decadent, completely natural, and great for sensitive skin, i highly recommend unrefined coconut oil. i use this as a moisturizer, as a leave in hair conditioner (i mix camomile tea, lemon juice, and coconut oil and spray on my dread locks), as a bath oil (awesome), a face cleanser (rub on dirty face, wipe off with soft bamboo/cotton face cloth), and for food! yes, i eat it too!

unrefined coconut oil is awesome.

I'll try that, I do eat a lot of carrots but not on a regular basis. Where do I find coconut oil? Would it be with all the other oils like vegetable or olive oil or with the lotions shea butter and things like that? I bought aloe vera but i'm not sure if i'm going to like it, it seems a little sticky already.
#7 Old 02-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll stick to Skylarks's advice: see a dermatologist before you try any medication. It may be psoriasis but the location of the patches isn't typical and so an excema is still a valid diferential.

Before you try non-veg*an foods - problems to convert betacaroteenoids inti retinoids is rare. And I agree with zoebird that the therapeutic range of Vitamin A is small. I once had a patient who took overdoses of Vitamin A becaus she thought it is Vitamin D and good against osteoporosis. She ended up with hairloss and dry skin (a sort of dermatitis).

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

carrots, peppers, lettuces, and a lot of things have beta carotene.

coconut oil--you might need to order it. it is for food, so you may find it with the food oils, or you may find it with the supplemental oils. you want to make sure it's unrefined. that's the good stuff.
#9 Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone, it seems to be going away now. I will order the coconut oil, I can't find it around here, not the extra virgin kind anyway. I'll go to the doctor but I have to find one first. I really don't want to go somewhere that will want to give me a lot of medicine if its not necessary . I really think its dry skin because my skin is extremely dry and i'm allergic to anything perfumed.
#10 Old 03-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I found coconut oil without having to order it and pay a ton. I love it, I hate coconut but its really good and i'm using it on my face and its better than any moisturizer i've use and it smells nice. The dry patches seem to have gone away, I think it was just dry skin but i'm going to the doctor this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page