Do you smoke? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you smoke, and if not, why?
No, for health reasons. 0 0%
No, for other reasons. (explain) 0 0%
Yes 0 0%
Sometimes 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

You've caught the nicotine withdrawal?

ebola
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

seriously, though, either this is a joke or you are being purposely vague for reasons unknown.

ebola
#93 Old 01-14-2007, 01:16 AM

I don't smoke because it smells like ****, and is a waste of time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 01-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

seriously, though, either this is a joke or you are being purposely vague for reasons unknown.

ebola

It is not a joke. And that is the honest truth. And am not being vague. I have spoken about this quite openly on another thread a few months ago. Ulcerative colitis is primarily a disease of non smokers (like I said, I don't know if it's ONLY a disease of non smokers).

The relation between cigarettes and ulcerative colitis is now an established medical fact.

I landed up very seriously ill in hospital. I could barely walk.

The internet has many article on ulcerative colitis and nicotine and cigarettes.

I reckon one day there will be an alternative to cigarettes with the benefits of the nicotine and the whatever that helps the disease. But at present there is none... and quite frankly, the thought of what they would to do the animals in the labs in order to develop a medicine like this... makes me shudder.

Oh... why does the nicotine help keep UC in bay? It's because it deposits a protective lining on the intestines which prevents the ulcerations and destruction from taking place.

I don't like being treated by "ordinary" doctors. So I decided to get myself treated by a Professor who knows what he is talking about. We spoke at length about the alternatives to smoking. Cortisone? Immuno-suppressants? No thank you...

Two cigarettes a day are not going to kill me... well not quickly anyway. However, ulcerative colitis is a ***** of disease and I hope you, or anyone on these boards, never gets it.

I probably would have developed this disease YEARS ago, if I had not been a smoker (was always a very light smoker. Not the pack-a-day type. I always lit up my first cigarette towards the evening). I started smoking when I was twelve, and all I can say is that thank god I did... I know a thirteen year old kid who has this disease and my heart breaks for him.

Eating raw and living foods also helps an awful lot. It's easier to eat raw and living foods in the summer though. The northern hemisphere weather is not so conducive to eating that way. But in the summer, that's the way I will eat in the future.
#95 Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

>>Ulcerative colitis>>

It is at this point that you have ceased being vague.

My apologies if I somehow missed this in prior posts in this thread.

ebola
#96 Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

My other question is, if it is the nicotine in particular that helps, why don't patches or gum work?

ebola
#97 Old 01-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't, for the usual health/fact that it's smelly reasons, and also I have asthma so it'd be like kicking myself in the lungs.
#98 Old 01-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Chomsky View Post

My other question is, if it is the nicotine in particular that helps, why don't patches or gum work?

ebola

Multiple sources on the internet suggest that it is nicotine in particular and that patches and gum do work as well as smoking. I'm not sure why Diana's physician is advising her otherwise. I looked for a few minutes and couldn't find a discussion suggesting that only smoking was effective.
#99 Old 01-14-2007, 03:18 PM
Vegan Police Officer

No, patches are very ineffective - they are suggested on the internet, because no one in their right mind on the internet will suggest to someone to smoke - especially in the United States - as they would probably be sued or something.

It is supposed that the ineffectiveness is due to the fact that a "rush" (for the want of a better word) of nicotine is needed. But there is also the supposition now that it is nicotine plus SOMETHING else in the cigarette. It's all very new research because the link between the two has not been known for so long.

Gum is slightly more effective. I tried it, but I had bad reactions to it and was unable to pursue.

Two cigarettes a day are really not a big deal. The pollution and other nasties that one inhales and ingests daily are very likely even more dangerous.

I have no worries about the effects of two (maximum three) cigarettes day. None at all.
#100 Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't smoke because it is disgusting.
#101 Old 01-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Hi! Okay, no I do not smoke. But I did. I quit March 25, 2006. Four packs a day... about 30 years. Almost ten months without one. Woo-hoo!

Quitting was not all that hard actually - making up my mind was hard. Day one I stuck the inhaler in my mouth, the nicotine gum in my mouth on the left and the lozenges on my right. Then I put on five patches. That worked and I got through day one. Day two I repeated the same technique. Day three I threw everything away. Day five was the day. I sat in my car with the engine running, in front of a convenience store and couldn't manage ten seconds of conviction to drive myself out of there without cigarettes for over three hours. When I left without them I was done and I knew it. I was never again going to put myself through that. One minute was excruciating and ten minutes later I knew I would never smoke again. Like I said - it wasn't the quitting that was hard - it was the making up my mind that was hard.

Angel
#102 Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 PM

I started smoking a year ago. My grandpa died, and thats what I turned to to get my mind off of things. it wasnt till I wass addicted when I thought about what ive done... Now im stuck on them, and going on meds and patches soon to quit. Wish me luck!!
#103 Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelLargay View Post

Hi! Okay, no I do not smoke. But I did. I quit March 25, 2006. Four packs a day... about 30 years. Almost ten months without one. Woo-hoo!

Quitting was not all that hard actually - making up my mind was hard. Day one I stuck the inhaler in my mouth, the nicotine gum in my mouth on the left and the lozenges on my right. Then I put on five patches. That worked and I got through day one. Day two I repeated the same technique. Day three I threw everything away. Day five was the day. I sat in my car with the engine running, in front of a convenience store and couldn't manage ten seconds of conviction to drive myself out of there without cigarettes for over three hours. When I left without them I was done and I knew it. I was never again going to put myself through that. One minute was excruciating and ten minutes later I knew I would never smoke again. Like I said - it wasn't the quitting that was hard - it was the making up my mind that was hard.

Angel

Well done...that's an awesome effort for a heavy smoker like yourself!
#104 Old 01-16-2007, 01:48 AM

If anyone else is trying to quit pick up a copy of "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking".

I know of at least six people who have used that book to quit successfully.
#105 Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Beginner

good luck skyguy!

just remember that it CAN be done. cold turkey is what finally worked for me...and taking long, deep breaths whenever i had the urge to smoke helped a LOT.
#106 Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyx5 View Post

I started smoking a year ago. My grandpa died, and thats what I turned to to get my mind off of things. it wasnt till I wass addicted when I thought about what ive done... Now im stuck on them, and going on meds and patches soon to quit. Wish me luck!!

My friend used zyban. Of course I don't know the side effects and all that other stuff you should research before going with any method.
#107 Old 01-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post

If anyone else is trying to quit pick up a copy of "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking".

I know of at least six people who have used that book to quit successfully.

ABSOLUTELY!

That book helped me to quit VERY successfully. It was easy, painless, and did NOT require medication or willpower.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#108 Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 AM

i smoke pot, not cigs. there i said it!
#109 Old 01-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I do smoke but I'm trying to quit.
#110 Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 PM

I voted for no and for other reasons. Of course my health is important for me, but I'm also against stimulants etc. if not needed for medical reasons. I try to avoid caffeine (I rarely drink coffee - finns are usually huge drinkers and start drinking as early as young children- and I drink herbal-non-caffeine tea) also and I'm very much against illegal drugs.
#111 Old 01-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Because of health reasons and because it's vile.
#112 Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted no for other reasons. I just think it's smelly and disgusting. Also, the fact that my mom died of lung cancer at 49 years old after smoking since she was 14 pretty much says it all.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page