what causes dark circles under the eye? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i have had dark circles for along time now and im wondering what they can be caused from? any idea ive teried changng my diet im now off dairy for a week now ........... any ideas of what to do or how to help .............thank u !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I always thought it could be due to lack of sleep. Also if you have bad allergies. I'll have to do a search to see if it can be caused by diet.
#3 Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Lack of nutrition

The lack of nutrients in the diet, or the lack of a balanced diet, can contribute to the discoloration of the area under the eyes. It is believed that lack of mineral iron can cause dark circles as well. Iron deficiency is the most common type of anemia and this condition is a sign that not enough oxygen is getting to the body tissues.

That's about all I could find on the subject!
#5 Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

wow thanks that was really helpful! thanks very much i will try and increase my iron !
#6 Old 12-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was younger, I ate alot of dairy and had dark circles under my eyes...when I went vegan, they disappeared. Not sure if that helps at all, it is just my own observation. It may have been that I was just allergic or intolerant of dairy. Definitely consider food intolerance as a cause.
#7 Old 12-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Since being on my anti-depressant, effexor, I have been struggling with puffy eyes and/or dark circles practically every morning. Nothing in my diet has changed, and if anything, I have increased nutrient and vitamin content in my diet. Also, I have been getting much more sleep that is much deeper than usual (by that I mean that I have regularly had dreams, therefore indicating I've been in REM a lot which is the key to getting good sleep). So, in my case, I have been negating all of the mentioned causes.

I have often wondered about them as well, and don't really have any more ideas of what causes them, except maybe being on certain medications and/or experiencing more REM sleep.
#8 Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

thank u , well my eyes are kinda itchy so i might have allergys and im allergic to dairy and have been of for a week or so , ill see how i go but i do hope they go away they make me look and feel horrible!
#9 Old 12-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

I'll warn you that in some cases this has a strong genetic component.

ebola
#10 Old 12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

what is that ebloa?
#11 Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 AM
Banned

I doubt the gene(s) has been identified, but it can be familial.

Or, observed otherwise, people can have very similar lifestyles but some will have these dark circles but others will not.

ebola
#12 Old 12-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard that drinking orange juice helps make them disappear.
#13 Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

As far as I know lack of sleep is not a factor. But it way well be the case, that the lifestyle leading to lack of sleep may have an influence like lack of sunlight, drinking strong alcoholic beverages which dilate skin vessels.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#14 Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM

I've had these circles pretty significantly for most of my life. I've not found sleep to be a factor either, but allergies definitely are. Also, at times when I've been significantly anemic, the circles appear darker.

There's definitely a strong genetic link though. Just ask my sister, my dad...etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#15 Old 01-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read that they can be caused by an unhealthy liver or poor liver function.
#16 Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

The circles always appear darker on me when I've gotten a small amount of sleep. But, I might just notice them more then because I'll feel crappy in general with little sleep.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#17 Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

My ex-renter claimed once to see this in me and attributed it to allergies.
#18 Old 01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

thats interesting susycat because i am yellow in my skin to like jaundice and i think it might b related!
#19 Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine are genetic... or at least I assume so since I've had them forever with no nutritional deficiencies or anything.

The skin under your eyes is very thin, and there are a lot of blood vessels. My skin is all very very pale (also genetic) and voila! Dark circles!

It does make me self conscious that people are always asking me if I'm ok or if I'm sick because of the circles, and I'm like "Thats just how I look, but thanks for telling me I look like CRAP"

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#20 Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

Something for you here.. you can visit this web site http://www.mydarkcirclesblog.com . This blog provides quite number of information about dark circles including some video clips on how to conceal dark circles, home remedies and eye cream reviews. Quite informative though. You can probably start with natural ways to reduce dark circles http://www.mydarkcirclesblog.com/200...-eyes-circles/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page