going vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegetarian seriously considering going vegan but i have some questions about how to maintain my health. How am i to get enough calcium??? do cheese alternatives and soy milk have the same amounts of calcium as the real thing??? and what about protein??? i know that tofu and beans are rich in protein but i can't just depend on them, i don't think.

I also have a few questions for some gals who might know a bit about it: did going vegetarian affect your period at all??? before i totally gave up meat my periods were suuuuuuper heavy. Now they are RIDICULOUSLY light and last about two days. call me crazy, but this doesn't sound healthy. help?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations. Going vegan takes dedication and all that other stuff that us ovo-lactos dont have..:P

I suggest taking a multi-vitamin and a calcium supplement. Green veggies are rich in calcium, but I'm pretty sure soy products are good choices? As for protein? I hope you like peanut butter. Rice, pasta, and whole grains are also good sources.

I did stop menstruating after losing 5 lbs, but I was underweight to begin with and not eating a proper vegetarian diet. I'm sure you can avoid this by keeping yourself informed on a vegan female's dietary needs. Lighter periods might be a warning, however...you may not be getting enough iron...or you may have lost weight?
#3 Old 08-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i have lost weight....eek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh oh....

Listen up: If your weight loss becomes unhealthy and you fail to include enough calories, fat, and nutrients in yer diet..I'd seriously advise you not to go vegan until yer body is ready for a healthy transition. You may be saving lives but you dont want to lose yours in the process...right?
#5 Old 08-08-2003, 11:43 PM

You are around 15, correct? Let me get the teenager info I've posted.
#6 Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 PM

How to get 1000mg of calicum without the use of soy or dairy; helpful for meal planning and ideas:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...hlight=calcium

Meal ideas:

A lot of info on being a teenage female vegan:

more food ideas:

These should get you started. Feel free to post in this thread what you eat in a day and I can help you out with that.

Krista
#7 Old 08-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay for Krista.

Yeah, I take calcium supplements, but fortified soymilk, OJ, and leafy green veggies are good too, as well as certain tofus and certain beans. For protein, you shouldn't have trouble - beans, tofu, whole grains, peanut butter, meat analogues, etc. But unless you are sure you can make a healthy transition, I'm with Rapunzl.
#8 Old 08-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

You get enough calcium if you plan and don´t leave it to chance. Calcium supplements aren´t necessary as a rule, but there are exceptions like certain diseases.

// something off topic: I liked Skunk Anansie and Skin´s newly released record is great!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#9 Old 08-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you thank you thank you all so much! Going vegan is something i definitely want to do, but I'm going to wait it out until my body gets back into her natural groove, hah. And Thank you for the links to the threads! They're wonderful. Thanks for the help.
#10 Old 08-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Tahini, carob & molasses are also rich sources of calcium.

I've read that tahini has 10 times the amount of calcium then milk.

Protein is not hard to obtain...it is in virtually everything! As I like to state: Breastmilk has 1.5% protein, why would that shoot up to 40% (or whatever it is)?

Quote:
before i totally gave up meat my periods were suuuuuuper heavy. Now they are RIDICULOUSLY light and last about two days. call me crazy, but this doesn't sound healthy. help?!

super heavy doesn't sound that healthy to me either...

I got mine back a year after having my child because I was breastfeeding and still am. I got it back right around when I went vegan, I'm not sure what this means.....but usually periods don't come back until you stop breastfeeding.
#11 Old 08-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

>>I've read that tahini has 10 times the amount of calcium then milk.

>>

Whole seseme butter would be even better! On the other hand, who eats 8 oz of tahini in a sitting?
#12 Old 08-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Luna bars. I'm a pretty naughty vegan. I mean, I try to eat right, but.. there are those days when a bag of potato chips just sounds really good. If I feel I've been neglecting vitamins, calcium, protein, etc... I'll just go grab a luna bar.
#13 Old 08-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Beginner

Off subject but I love luna bars. There yummy and I can take them when go whitewater kayaking or any where I think I might not be able to find something to eat thats vegan. I love luns bars.
#14 Old 08-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

yes! luna bars are supreeemely yummy!

but but but,

ebola, Tova, what exactly is tahini???
#15 Old 08-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Whole seseme butter would be even better

You're right. I was actually thinking about making my own the other day, would a poppy seed grinder work?

Quote:
ebola, Tova, what exactly is tahini???

Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. It taste cheesy but differs between different companies.

Tahini is used to make foods such as hummus, baba ganouj, halvah, sauces, dressings, and anything else that you want to use it for.

Have you ever had hummus?

Here's a recipie: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/data/956327606.shtml

Enjoy
#16 Old 08-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

yes i love hummus!

thank you Tova!
#17 Old 08-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

everyone has given you some great calcium ideas - btw as for the soy part just be sure its fortified it isnt naturally that calcium rich.

as for protien the best way to get adequate protein is a wide range of sources generally vegans dont have a hard time getting proper protien if they are eating right to begin with ( ie not subsisting off of chips and candy.) if you like the meat analog product, tofu and nuts and egumes and you also eat a variety of whole grains (which have a form of protien as well) then you should be just fine in that department. and dont neglect the fruit and veggie department that has nothing to do with protein or calcium but a whole lot to do with health and possibly the latter part of your question.

say
#18 Old 08-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice avatar Java ! (oops, off topic)
#19 Old 08-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

read the book BECOMING VEGAN.

it has everything you'd ever want to know and more. worth the investment!

XOXO

beth

p.s. I made the switch and havent looked back. why not try it for a month and think its a trial period. see how it goes. my guess is, you'll just stick with it. thats how it happened for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page