Um...Gas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 AM

As typically a veg*n diet includes more beans and soy than an omni one, since you've gone veg*n, have you noticed more um... gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Banned

I don't remember, it's been years since my transition. However, I imagine suddenly adding a lot more fiber to you diet would temporarily give you digestional issues until your system got used to it and started moving more regularly. I really have no idea though.
#3 Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

yes, mine lasted for awhile but then it went away. I'd say it lasted for about 6 monthes or more. Try gas-x? I dont know what I did, I think I just dealt with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat large quantities of fiber (due to massive grain intake, my biggest food source). While this has certainly kept me regular, I also get lots of gas. I'll sometimes have up to 40g or more of fiber per day (which is around or higher than the RDA). In fact, one package of Bear Naked natural granola contains 33g of fiber. Of course, too much fiber can cause, in some cases, less nutrients to be absorbed, and major bloating and gas, plus a lot of bathroom visits (not diarrhea, but lots of excessive but regular visits). However, I also drink natural juice purees, which contain immense quantities of nutritients (one for example had 1200% Vitamin E, and 280% Selenium, and 100% of many important B vitamins and other minerals). But, they also have fiber. However, plenty of healthy fibers from whole sources help greatly in improving regularity, cleaning out the intestinal tract, strengthening intestinal muscles, lowering LDL cholesterol, satisfying hunger, and reducing calorie and fat absorbtion. Anyway you look at it, fiber is a good thing. Too much only means discomfort, but from what research I have done, there aren't any medical concerns.
#5 Old 12-17-2006, 02:49 PM

yes!!!

within a week of going vegan i noticed my BMs were much more regular and i had a lot more gas. i still get a lot of fibre (more than the recommened amount), but since then i think my body has adjusted since i don't get all that gas all the time, although i am still, uh, very regular.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page