Anxiety/Depression Support Group - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Beginner

I was thinking that maybe we could start an anxiety/depression support group here at VB for all the people out there dealing with these conditions. I would like to start it up and sticky it, Eat to Live style. I have a lot of problems with my anxiety and I just thought it would be nice to gave a group to help one another deal with these disruptive and difficult conditions. So, if there's anyone out there who would like to do it, I would too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2006, 04:42 AM

I have an anxiety disorder with major depressive episodes, in addition to other mental health labels. I'm new here but I think it would be a really good idea. It's helpful to learn about other people's experiences and share one's own. Doing that gives some people, myself included, the sense that they are not alone, something that its hard to remember when you're feeling depressed or anxious.
#3 Old 11-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

While I think this may be a good idea in re to anxiety, no matter how depressed I might get, I think I'd rather be around cheerful people and avoid depressed people. Other depressed people only make me more depressed, no matter what they say they are intending to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

I find that relaxation exercises are helpful to reduce anxiety. They are easy to learn and do.

if you have depression do NOT try to sleep it off like you might with any other illness. Force yourself to stay awake, even if you feel you have nothing to stay awake for. Then leave your normal location, and go anywhere.
#5 Old 11-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Beginner

I'm up for it too .
#6 Old 11-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, i think it's a great idea. Although sometimes you want to be around cheerful people when one feels depressed, sometimes it might help to tell someone who has an idea of where you're coming from, or someone who you don't have to face on a daily basis

jmho
#7 Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to have terrible anxiety....I was on Xanax.....I worked as a canvasser for an environmental organization (NYPIRG) and had to ask people for money every day and I was terrified. I only stayed because I needed a job, and loved my co-workers. I don't get much anxiety these days, but I'm still pretty depressed sometimes where I can't even do anything but just lie down.

I think we should have a part of VB for us to share our issues and help each other out. That would be a really positive addition!
#8 Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved_women View Post

I used to have terrible anxiety....I was on Xanax.....I worked as a canvasser for an environmental organization (NYPIRG) and had to ask people for money every day and I was terrified. I only stayed because I needed a job, and loved my co-workers. I don't get much anxiety these days, but I'm still pretty depressed sometimes where I can't even do anything but just lie down.

I think we should have a part of VB for us to share our issues and help each other out. That would be a really positive addition!

OMG!!! That kind of work would give anyone anxiety. I hate that kind of door to door stuff too.

I think it's a great idea to have a support thread; depression is and has been an issue in my life. I will try to be supportive thouigh my visits to VB tend to be sporadic...
#9 Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved_women View Post

I used to have terrible anxiety....I was on Xanax.....I worked as a canvasser for an environmental organization (NYPIRG) and had to ask people for money every day and I was terrified.

I totally understand. My first day with OPIRG, I left a resignation note on a tree and walked to my mom's work because I couldn't take it any more. It seemed like a dangerous job.

I've been depressed lately, and I used to get anxiety. So I could give and get help. Or at least let people know they are not alone.
#10 Old 12-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd love a place to share ideas on coping and places to vent. I'm Bipolar personally and not on any meds to treat it. I am doing it all through coping skills and diet.

So, yeah I vote for it!
#11 Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

I totally understand. My first day with OPIRG, I left a resignation note on a tree and walked to my mom's work because I couldn't take it any more. It seemed like a dangerous job.

I thought about quitting. I only averaged about the quota (130 dollars), but it was sporadic, I'd get a lot of 70 dollar days and then a couple 300 dollar days......one day I got a 1000 dollar check and was the star of the office.

The worst is if you are African-American. You would think in the New York City area people are more open to diversity, but many African-Americans who joined up dealt with racist comments and fear from white property owners who called the police and such.

Once I got stopped by the police and told to stop canvassing. I just went to the Borders near my route and stayed there for 4 hours.

Then there's always dogs......I'd go near a house and if I heard a lot of loud barking, I'd just put an X on the sheet (unless they gave previously, then I'd write come back another day)

Still, you meet a lot of great people in canvassing jobs. I guess they have to have the charm to work in this field
#12 Old 12-03-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanyGreenBean View Post

I'd love a place to share ideas on coping and places to vent. I'm Bipolar personally and not on any meds to treat it. I am doing it all through coping skills and diet.

So, yeah I vote for it!

so are there any specific vitamins that have helped with your moods, or have you just learned to recognize it and "overcome" those thinking patterns that come with the highs and lows (etc...)?

i'm just curious because i am currently taking lamictal...it has helped somewhat to alleviate the lows but not too much. i don't have any side-effects and so far it has had more positive effects on my body than negative (unlike the lithium i was taking previously...).... but i just hate the idea of taking some chemical everyday that "dulls" my moods, and i feel like taking meds (since i may eventaully be put on an AD) will eventaully poison my body.

i don't know, i feel slightly conflicted because i know that if they are helping the depressions even just a bit, then they may be worth it, because i have been way too close to the edge too many times to even count...
#13 Old 12-03-2006, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

i just started efexor xr and i feel really shaky , got the worst headache and i think ive gained weight also my apititie is gone! has any one eles been on anti depressants and had this happen?
#14 Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Beginner

specialK12- it is a normal side effect. Unfortunatley, SSRIs cause a lot of side effects, although not as many as other psychiatric medications. Try to hang tough- it takes at least two weeks to a month for the side effects to go away. However, if it doesn't start to feel better after awhile, you'll probably want to check in with your doctor to adjust your dosage or switch medications. May I ask who prescribed your medication, a family practitioner or a psychiatrist?
#15 Old 12-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

my shrink and I are discussing medicinal options for my anxiety issues. I was on Prozac for depression once and it made me psycho, so I'm afraid of meds... we're gonna talk some more about it my next session... my last session was NOT a good time to talk about meds. I was in a full-blown anxiety attack, and it scared me silly...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#16 Old 12-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

I think this this is a great idea. Sometimes talking to people who are where you are is very comforting. You don't have to feel so alone in a sea of 'normal functioning people'.

I've been dx'd with quite a few things over the years and have take a whole lot of meds. I'm not on much of anything right now and I have been going through a really rough time this year.
#17 Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

my local dr did , after the first time of seeing me alwell , how did she know what type to give me there are so many!
#18 Old 12-06-2006, 05:59 AM

I've been diagnosed with vulvodynia just recently and my lifetime mild depression is just increasing, I'm afraid it will turn into major depression. My painkillers for vulvodynia are tricyclic depression drugs, because there is practically no other types of drug for chronic pain. So, maybe if I continue taking the drugs, my depression will go away. However I already feel slight side effects after two days of using them (mouth is dry, feel sleepy) and I'm taking just 25 mg. Next week I'm taking 50 and after that 75 etc. until I will be taking 100-125 mg.

Good that I have drugs, but I feel so suicidal nowadays, that I keep thinking about killing myself. And with drugs it's so much more "easier" if you know what I mean. So, I'm actually scared that I now have these drugs here at home, because what kept me from doing it before was the fear of painful dying. Luckily I have first meeting with my psychologist tomorrow, so hopefully she can help me. Life feels just so hopeless, dark and gloomy place. I don't want to see my family anymore, or anyone at all, but I still yearn for communication with someone. I just keep having flashbacks of my horrible childhood and those things (as well as my chronic illness that perhaps cannot be cured by anything, which means I cannot ever have children, intercourse etc.) are the only thing that I think about, it's like obsession. I would just love to spend the whole day in bed, crying against someone's shoulder and hear them saying that I didn't deserve all this, that I'm a good person and that nobody should have a childhood like that and that I have hope in the future.
#19 Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

i just started efexor xr and i feel really shaky , got the worst headache and i think ive gained weight also my apititie is gone! has any one eles been on anti depressants and had this happen?

Did your doctor have you out on the 'starter pack' with the lower dose, 37.5mg pills? Effexor is one of the stronger meds. I had horrible side effects when I was on a 'full' dosage, including blurred vision and loss of appetite. If you are already on low dose, you may want to ask your doctor about other options like Wellbutrin, Cymbalta or Lexapro. I didn't experience any moderate (or worse) side effects on those three. Good luck and I hope you find something that works well for you
#20 Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Baby Love

Vera, I'm glad you have an appointment with a psychologist soon. It sounds like you're definately in need of someone to help. Hang in there!
#21 Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I think this thread is a good idea too. I was diagnosed as manic depressive (bi-polar) by my family Dr. I was on meds (respiradol/zoloft) for about a year and a half. That was until I didn't have insurance anymore. I haven't been able to afford meds for about 4 years now. It is mild most of the time but some days are really bad. I'm having a really hard time right now because it is finals at school, my husband and I only have $3.00 until December 15th, I feel all of this pressure to come home for the holidays even though we can't afford it, and my laptop was stolen at my in-laws house while we were home for Thanksgiving (which made me lose tons of work for my final papers) and the insurance company is dicking around about it. So now anything just sets me off and I become catatonic (sp?).

Like yesterday our cable internet went out and I had to talk to 4 people so the last person could tell me that there was an outage in my area (we're talking 2 hours on the phone here). And then our foster dog peed on the carpet and then on the couch (she is pregnant and probably can't help it). I just lost it and went upstairs and was in bed the rest of the night. I couldn't even talk to my husband. I really hate it when things get like this. It is like my body just shuts down and wants to hide in a closet somewhere and never come out.

Even though I feel pretty stupid writing this it does make me feel a little bit better to write it down.... Who knows..
#22 Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

I had severe depression when I was younger (age 19 to 26) and now I no longer have it. I stopped having it at about age 26. So there is hope. But I mostly overcame it by myself, without help from professionals. The professionals I saw were all making it worse.
#23 Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've suffered from Panic attacks and Anxiety disorder for the last 15 years. I'm now on 40mg of Paxil and it's under control. I did try to control it without meds and was fine for a while until I had my second child and felt like I was going crazy, I felt totaly overwhelmed.
#24 Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

KellyBon, that is a long time to be suffereing from panic attacks. It is good to hear that things are going better for you now.
#25 Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know of a good site to compare different psych meds? I know there are several classifications of meds, but I don't recall which ones are which... I would like to research more options for anxiety attacks and moderate depression.

My depression seems to have gotten better, but my anxiety attacks are coming much more frequently lately...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#26 Old 12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

im on 75 mg does any one know much about olanzipane?
#27 Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

WonderRandy, I don't know about depression meds in specific, but I know a great site done by independent researchers that gives you all the information you ever want to know, that isn't at all candy-coated by the manufacturers about almost every legal and illegal drug out there:

http://www.erowid.org

I've been struggling with diagnosed severe depression off and on for the past three years. Before that I was pretty abusive to myself, which is how I dealt with my pain. It has been a struggle being in depression, and this year I've been struggling with panic attacks as well. However I definitely take this depression, negative thoughts, and energy loss over the eating disorder, abusive relationships and SI I used to do before college. I've been on lexapro, and am now on effexor. I have had one really bad experience with a counselor when I was young, and one pretty bad experience the past two years with a counselor...

within the past two weeks I've finally found a counselor who gets me on my level, doesn't blame me for my negative thoughts or behavior (I do enough of that blaming myself) or undermine my pain like my parents and professors do. She specializes in working with adult survivors of sexual abuse, which I am, and also specializes in working with really sensitive people, which I also am... so things are looking up for now. But holidays are a tough time.

I wish everyone the best of luck with getting through the days, and send hugs all around. This messageboard has been a real support for me.
#28 Old 12-08-2006, 08:48 AM

Well, I went to the psychologist yesterday and she was pretty nice and seemed reasonable compassionate. Immediately when I opened my mouth I began to cry hopelessly and continued to do that for the whole hour. I felt horrible when I left. I just wanted to burry myself under the ground that nobody would see me. At home I did the Beck's test, I got over 40 (30 being the limit for major depression). The psychologist asked me to do it at her office, but I couldn't do it when she was watching, so I asked it for my "homework".

I just don't understand.. I am not really feeling *so* much worse than I did before, I would have gotten 20 points (moderate depression) for years. I've lived with depressed mood so long (since childhood) that it has become my personality, a natural thing for me. I was very suprised when reading about Beck's - "Don't other people get at least 20 points when they do this test? isn't that just normal?"

I have more atypical symptoms than typical ones: I overeat, oversleep, my body feels so heavy that I have trouble moving my hands and feets (this has gotten worse these last two months), I'm very sensitive to being criticized.. I just keep thinking "what will other people think" about everything. I have been like that ever since I was a child, but these symptoms have gotten worse and worse every year.

I also have severe premenstrual syndrome symptoms, more like PMDD. I become bloated, angry (just want to destroy something), my body feels out of control, I cry on the floor asking what is happening to me, have hot and cold flashes (constantly changing clothes, adjusting temperature etc.) as well as joint and muscle pain + spasms.

All this.. and vulvodynia.

I feel just so tired and hopeless.. Because of tricyclic that I take for vulvodynia pain, my throat is constantly dry. It feels difficult to talk, I have to take zip of water everytime I say a word. I mentioned today to my schoolmates that I might take some time off from my school. Maybe after this period (ends at the end of january), I'll take few months of sick leave. I'll just have to persevere for now. But it's really tough. It's really tough to keep that smiley work face and keep acting happy, when I feel so horrible. I just cannot keep up the coulisse anymore which I have done since I was a child in dysfunctional family. I feel too tired for it. I don't have the energy to smile anymore at all, I have to force myself to smile to cute children while I watch them to play at school. I could't care less about the children, I just want to go to bed and cry.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
#29 Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely. I have to take every little bit of my strength sometimes to get out of bed and go to school in the morning. And even when I go to school, and I may not feel like being all happy go lucky, my professors and classmates will always ask what's wrong with me, which is really annoying. Can't a person just not smile. I do my work and engage in class, but I can't always act happy.

I had a great conversation about this with my new counselor. What I realized is that I think the reason why some people get really frustrated or concerned or annoyed with people who are going through depression or even just have a really sedated personality is 1: they don't personally understand because they've never gone through it 2: more importantly, I think some people think that if they've seen you happy and energtic a few times, that why can't you be that way all the time?, and they don't have patience for the down days.

The way that I've decided to look at it is, I am who I am... I have good days and bad days as does everyone. If people have a problem with it or can't understand why I can't just "snap myself out of it" by exercising or taking medication or whatever, then I don't even bother explaining it to them. I've really learned to trust myself and give myself the time I need, and that takes priority. If I need to miss class and sleep in until 2 some days, then I'm going to do it...If I have to ask for an extension on a class assignment, then I will... If someone asks me to go out with them and I don't feel like it, then I'll tell them I need some me time. I have the opinion that what's most important is for ourselves to listen to what our bodies say. If we're dealing with depression, or get sick, then I really think that it is our bodies way of saying, hey, let's take a break for a while. I personally look back on the times in my life where I was "the most happy" and that's when I ended up doing SI or got into abusive relationships. I feel most senstive to the world and what my body tells me, and end up making the best and most rational decisions when I am in my quiet/down moments in life.
#30 Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Does anyone know of a good site to compare different psych meds? I know there are several classifications of meds, but I don't recall which ones are which... I would like to research more options for anxiety attacks and moderate depression.

My depression seems to have gotten better, but my anxiety attacks are coming much more frequently lately...

Sorry, I don't know of any sites to compare (other than the onesushi8kat posted). Definately put something like Lexapro on your list to research. I know someone who takes it for anxiety purposes, but it can also help with low-moderate depression symptoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page