It's that darn cold/flu season again... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

What are you doing to prevent getting a cold/flu? And if you do get a cold/flu, what do you do to treat it? I thought this would be an interesting topic to maybe help people who are constant victims of the virus or want to know how to prevent it.

For me, I rarely get colds because I drink 100% fruit drinks high in vitamin C every morning.

If I do get a cold, I sleep with my head elevated to keep mucus from building up and if I'm up to it, excersize. For some reason, excersizing helps reduce my amount of coughing.

How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Getting plenty of good sleep is always a necessary way to prevent sickness. Sleep should always take priority. I think that eating well is important to. I try to not indulge in too many sweets or unhealthy fats during this time of year, because it tends to make me feel bad when I do and can make me more vulnerable to sickness. I drink a lot of juice as well, and I think it is also important to have a regular source of vitamin C as well as vitamin D at this time of year. I think these things all apply to if/when you get sick as well.
#3 Old 11-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

To prevent getting a cold/flu....wash, wash, wash your hands! Vitamin C works for me. Good diet/exercise. If I feel something coming on I take extra C and lots of green tea w/added antioxidants. That has nipped it in the bud the last few times I thought I was getting sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sick right now, which is why I'm not at school! I am drinking tons of vitamin c juice, and taking zinc. Is it true that you shouldn't eat when you are sick because your organs need to concentrate on fighting the sickness and not digesting food?
#5 Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

snownose, but you need food to give your cells the energy to fight the sickness. Just healthy foods such as veggie broths, juice, as you mentioned, fruit, healthy carbs and such.
#6 Old 11-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I am recovering from a cold. Didn't really do anything about it. I try to always wash my hands first thing when I get home after taking the bus, but I still keep getting sick. Stress is probably a big factor.
#7 Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately I have a cold right now as well. I had my wisdom teeth out last weekend and I had a tough time recovering from the anesthetic and a tough time eating, so my resistance is down. Luckily, it's almost past.
#8 Old 11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

hope you feel better soon
#9 Old 11-03-2006, 02:59 PM

Eating healthily, washing your hands, getting enough sleep, trying to live without too much stress - these are all good ways of trying to avoid the flu/cold BUT I'm afraid it's a virus so it's a matter of - if you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it.

I take large doses of Vitamin C (3000mg or so per day) and just rest as much as possible!

Everyone has their own little ways when it comes to this matter!
#10 Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 PM

It is also important not to touch your eyes, noses and mouth with your fingers.
#11 Old 11-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I would have to agree with everyone else. However, a lot of it is based on your immune system, and some are just weak to begin with. I seem to get whatever is going around, no matter what i do. Right now, I am fighting off what feels like the flu. For me, I drink a ton of water, juice as well, and try to eat mostly fruits and veggies...soup too.

I also make a ginger tea, just by grating ginger and boiling it in water, then I add fresh squeezed lemon. It's quite good, and ginger is very good for you. And, of course, I drink lots of other teas, filled with antioxidants.

But, as I said before, usually I get sick...no matter what.

jill.
#12 Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm a Zicam user myself when I feel a cold coming on.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 11-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Lots of vitamin C.......we use zicam too........also i have echinacea drops for the kids and hubby and myself..........we also swear by elderberry syrup......sambucol brand.........i swear it wipes out cold flu virus!

lots of hand washing, i keep hand wipes, and the germx stuff in my car for when we are shopping , the kids are notorious for putting everything in their eyes or mouth!
#14 Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate this season, I'm sick right now coughing, sneezing I'm pretty sure a truck ran over me and the fever has me wanting to rip off all my cloths and find a snow bank to roll around in.

To bad it is 70 degree's here.

I have no idea how to prevent colds or flu's I always get every little tiny thing that goes around.

Mad huh? I'm perhaps one of the hand washing freaks I know I wash my hands after touching anything.

I get the flu shot yearly so that helps prevent a real bad case but even tiny stuff the kids get and bring it home they are over it in a few days and it will drag on for weeks with me.
#15 Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I get sick all the time. I think it's from lack of rest, but I don't have time to sleep. I was sick last Monday and I'm home sick again today.

Does stress make you sick?
#16 Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm another hand washer and I become even more diligent during cold and flu season. I also try to make sure I take my vitamins during this season.

When I feel a cold coming on I start to drink hot tea and eat soup for lunch and/or dinner. Also, rather than taking it easy if I start feeling ill I get into the gym and do a work out that gets me sweating but is still only about 80% as strenuous as my usual workout. Working out often clears my head and prevents me from getting sinusitus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page