VeggieBoards banner

My eye is suddenly red...?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  IamJen 
#1 ·
I woke up this morning and my left eye is pretty red, it's watering a lot but it doesn't itch. Could it just be because I fell asleep with makeup on? This has happened a few other times in my life, but I'm in Chicago right now and the only times this has EVER happened have been when I was in Chicago. Maybe the wind? What should I do about it? It's really annoying. It might just be because my allergies get really bad here too. But it's always my left eye, and it's always in Chicago, and it's always really annoying. Recommendations on how to make it go away quickly?

#4 ·
If its very, very red, it could be conjunctivitis. Dont mess around with eyes, I would see a doctor if it gets worse before it gets better. I have a friend who has a fungal infection in one eye that comes and goes and requires medication. His eye gets very red.

#5 ·
If you're wearing contacts, definitely take em out. Flush your eyes really well with water, for starters.

Is the red just the vessels, or is it coloring the white of your eye too (which would be more likely to mean pinkeye)?

omg, my eyes are seriously watering just from reading this thread. I am such a woos when it comes to eye stuff.

#6 ·
i took out my contacts and i let the water run over it in the shower. it does feel better, i think it could just be a side effect of allergies and the wind. I took my claritin this morning, and normally it makes everything go away, i stop sneezing, nose stops itching/running etc but today it's just as bad as if I hadn't taken anything. I'm not worried about it being pink eye since it seems to be just the vessels. I'll wear my glasses for a bit and stop at walgreens for some eyedrops. Damn you, howling wind! *shakes fist*

So on that train of though...what are some other things I can do to make allergies go away? I have some herbal pills but I left them at home, benadryl just makes me too drowsy even if I take it before bed, and claritin-type things normally work but it's just not happening lately. uhhhnnn

#8 ·
If it turns out that it is some kind of seasonal, Chicago-based allergy, you might try Stinging Nettle extract. A little bit in some water/tea, etc. has worked great for me!

#9 ·
If you're using Renu cleaner/disinfectant, some batches of it were contaminated and caused eye infections. It took almost 3 months for the doctor to get mine cleared up, and I've had minor recurrences a couple of times since. If this is the case, it won't go away without medication.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hurley View Post

If you're using Renu cleaner/disinfectant, some batches of it were contaminated and caused eye infections. It took almost 3 months for the doctor to get mine cleared up, and I've had minor recurrences a couple of times since.
I use Renu...and I woke up the other day and my eye was red...

#11 ·
This happened several months ago, btw. And it was only one particular kind of Renu...AND it was quickly pulled from the shelves. Just Google something like Renu recall, and you'll find the needed information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.