mould..true or false? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

"mould is the tip of the iceberg. even if you cut a mouldy corner off something, or peel the outside of a sweetpotato with spots of mould on it and the inside LOOKS and TASTES fine...it shouldn't be eaten."

?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

true.
#3 Old 10-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

really?! you'd get sick if you just cut off the mouldy bits?!?!

wow. i didn't realise. i was brought up doing that all the time so we didn't waste good food, coz it seemed good on the inside.

i just ate a potato that had some (not much) mould on the outside on one half, after cutting that bit off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 AM
Veggie Regular

If there's visible mold, then there's definetely mold in the rest of the product that's too small/sparse to be seen yet. It builds gradually to the point that it becomes visible. It might not be enough to get sick from though, it just depends. But yeah, if there's mold, throw it out.
#5 Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Veggie Regular

A sweet potato is a hard vegetable, so I think you should be able to cut off a small amount of mold...

Quote:
Fruits and vegetables, firm (such as cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, etc.)...

Small mold spots can be cut off fruits and vegetables with low moisture content. It’s difficult for mold to penetrate dense foods.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Food/index.asp

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#6 Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

oh wow?! how interesting i had no idea there were classifications with cutting off mould glad i asked!! and i dont feel sick...yet...

i just hate wasting things coz of a few weird spots.

so i wondered if it was worth it or not.

oh vb, you know sooo much
#7 Old 10-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I routinely cut mould off of fruits, vegetables, cheese, etc. and I've never gotten sick from it.
#8 Old 10-16-2006, 08:12 AM

me too. ^^^^
#9 Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Bah I just cut the mold off and have my whole life.

I'm not dead yet or sick come to think of it, remeber our first antibiotics came from mold
#10 Old 10-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Whew! I used to cut the mold off of cheese all the time back in the day when I ate cheese!
#11 Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

I eat moldy bread all the time. No problems.
#12 Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

"mould is the tip of the iceberg. even if you cut a mouldy corner off something, or peel the outside of a sweetpotato with spots of mould on it and the inside LOOKS and TASTES fine...it shouldn't be eaten."

?

True... But not all molds will make you sick.
#13 Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm definitely in the "just cut it off and eat the rest" group. Good greif, what a waste of food. Some people might be able to afford that, but I sure ca't!

Molds on food will not make you sick.

True, we don't always think they look pretty, and I'm not going to eat a big ol' CHUNK of mold, but they won't make you sick.
#14 Old 10-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

If I only see it on the bread crust in one spot, I totally remove that part and eat the rest.

Ever eat a big moldy area accidentally though? Yuck!
#15 Old 10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

ahah. how interesting. and yeah i haven't gotten sick yet. but it might not be ideal? oh well. ill just use my best judgement really good to know all this though, you guys are wisdom INCARNATE!! xo
#16 Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

There are moulds and moulds ...

I definitely advise discarding any bread with mould. Same applies to cheese if it isn't the case you packed camenbert and hard cheese together.

Sometimes the tio of a jar of selfmade jam might have some mould and it would be OK to discard the top inch ans use the rest.

The reason is: in bread the mould spreads without you being able to see it. Jam might have some fluid on top with a concentration of sugar that still allows mould to develop but deeper in the jam the sugar concentration is too high for mould spore to survive and hence to develop.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#17 Old 10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

There are moulds and moulds ...

I definitely advise discarding any bread with mould. Same applies to cheese if it isn't the case you packed camenbert and hard cheese together.

Sometimes the tio of a jar of selfmade jam might have some mould and it would be OK to discard the top inch ans use the rest.

The reason is: in bread the mould spreads without you being able to see it. Jam might have some fluid on top with a concentration of sugar that still allows mould to develop but deeper in the jam the sugar concentration is too high for mould spore to survive and hence to develop.

agreed. if you see a spot of mold on the bread the mold has already infiltrated the whole of the bread and that is just the most dense outcropping.
#18 Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, good point about bread. Actually bread with a mold spot tastes moldy to me even if the spot is removed, it's one item I do NOT "pick the mold off".

Though around here, we go through bread so quickly, I haven't seen a moldy piece in ages.
#19 Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned

Lothar - I'm curious (if it can be explained simply). What's bad about mold? What does it do to a person?
#20 Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'm another who just cuts off the mould and eats the rest. I make an exception for bread because, as others have pointed out, the mould goes right through the bread. It's not really an issue for me, I tend to freeze excess bread before it starts to turn.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#21 Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Moulds might develop toxins which may harm the liver. There are reports of fatal liver failure after eating certain moulds (I remember one case report after eating a bag of pistacchios with mould - which must be a rare incident as it tastes bad).

Sometimes if I haven't inspected my bread carefully I can taste the mould and would spit it out immediately.

#22 Old 10-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

Thanks! I'll steer clear. My liver probably sees enough abuse as it is.
#23 Old 10-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Peanuts (and I'm assuming other nuts) can grow mold easily that is harmful as Lothar pointed out. I only know this because of my parrots who get peanuts as treats sometimes. A moldy peanut given to a parrot will kill it! (Then again I'm convinced that everything kills birds!)

You should try to get roasted nuts (unless you are familiar with the supplier of course) to prevent yourself from getting moldy nuts.
#24 Old 10-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Aimra thanks for that important point. Peanut plants grow over the soil, but the peanuts develop underground and so they might grow moulds easier than other nuts. But other nuts could also grow moulds if being stored in a humid environment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page