mould..true or false? - VeggieBoards

mould..true or false?

taurushead's Avatar taurushead
01:55 AM 10-16-2006
"mould is the tip of the iceberg. even if you cut a mouldy corner off something, or peel the outside of a sweetpotato with spots of mould on it and the inside LOOKS and TASTES fine...it shouldn't be eaten."



?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
kpickell's Avatar kpickell
02:27 AM 10-16-2006
true.
taurushead's Avatar taurushead
02:33 AM 10-16-2006
really?! you'd get sick if you just cut off the mouldy bits?!?!



wow. i didn't realise. i was brought up doing that all the time so we didn't waste good food, coz it seemed good on the inside.

i just ate a potato that had some (not much) mould on the outside on one half, after cutting that bit off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
kpickell's Avatar kpickell
02:57 AM 10-16-2006
If there's visible mold, then there's definetely mold in the rest of the product that's too small/sparse to be seen yet. It builds gradually to the point that it becomes visible. It might not be enough to get sick from though, it just depends. But yeah, if there's mold, throw it out.
Irizary's Avatar Irizary
03:03 AM 10-16-2006
A sweet potato is a hard vegetable, so I think you should be able to cut off a small amount of mold...



Quote:
Fruits and vegetables, firm (such as cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, etc.)...



Small mold spots can be cut off fruits and vegetables with low moisture content. It’s difficult for mold to penetrate dense foods.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Food/index.asp
taurushead's Avatar taurushead
04:08 AM 10-16-2006
oh wow?! how interesting i had no idea there were classifications with cutting off mould glad i asked!! and i dont feel sick...yet...



i just hate wasting things coz of a few weird spots.

so i wondered if it was worth it or not.



oh vb, you know sooo much
cookingVeg's Avatar cookingVeg
09:09 AM 10-16-2006
I routinely cut mould off of fruits, vegetables, cheese, etc. and I've never gotten sick from it.
GhostUser's Avatar GhostUser
09:12 AM 10-16-2006
me too. ^^^^
Ayrlin's Avatar Ayrlin
09:36 AM 10-16-2006
Bah I just cut the mold off and have my whole life.

I'm not dead yet or sick come to think of it, remeber our first antibiotics came from mold
karenlovessnow's Avatar karenlovessnow
06:08 PM 10-16-2006
Whew! I used to cut the mold off of cheese all the time back in the day when I ate cheese!
nigel's Avatar nigel
07:30 PM 10-16-2006
I eat moldy bread all the time. No problems.
froggythefrog's Avatar froggythefrog
08:25 PM 10-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

"mould is the tip of the iceberg. even if you cut a mouldy corner off something, or peel the outside of a sweetpotato with spots of mould on it and the inside LOOKS and TASTES fine...it shouldn't be eaten."



?



True... But not all molds will make you sick.
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar Tofu-N-Sprouts
08:50 PM 10-16-2006
I'm definitely in the "just cut it off and eat the rest" group. Good greif, what a waste of food. Some people might be able to afford that, but I sure ca't!

Molds on food will not make you sick.

True, we don't always think they look pretty, and I'm not going to eat a big ol' CHUNK of mold, but they won't make you sick.
DieselAmy's Avatar DieselAmy
02:27 PM 10-17-2006
If I only see it on the bread crust in one spot, I totally remove that part and eat the rest.



Ever eat a big moldy area accidentally though? Yuck!
taurushead's Avatar taurushead
03:19 PM 10-17-2006
ahah. how interesting. and yeah i haven't gotten sick yet. but it might not be ideal? oh well. ill just use my best judgement really good to know all this though, you guys are wisdom INCARNATE!! xo
Lothar M Kirsch's Avatar Lothar M Kirsch
09:44 AM 10-18-2006
There are moulds and moulds ...

I definitely advise discarding any bread with mould. Same applies to cheese if it isn't the case you packed camenbert and hard cheese together.

Sometimes the tio of a jar of selfmade jam might have some mould and it would be OK to discard the top inch ans use the rest.

The reason is: in bread the mould spreads without you being able to see it. Jam might have some fluid on top with a concentration of sugar that still allows mould to develop but deeper in the jam the sugar concentration is too high for mould spore to survive and hence to develop.
catswym's Avatar catswym
11:40 AM 10-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar M Kirsch View Post

There are moulds and moulds ...

I definitely advise discarding any bread with mould. Same applies to cheese if it isn't the case you packed camenbert and hard cheese together.

Sometimes the tio of a jar of selfmade jam might have some mould and it would be OK to discard the top inch ans use the rest.

The reason is: in bread the mould spreads without you being able to see it. Jam might have some fluid on top with a concentration of sugar that still allows mould to develop but deeper in the jam the sugar concentration is too high for mould spore to survive and hence to develop.



agreed. if you see a spot of mold on the bread the mold has already infiltrated the whole of the bread and that is just the most dense outcropping.
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar Tofu-N-Sprouts
08:53 PM 10-18-2006
Yeah, good point about bread. Actually bread with a mold spot tastes moldy to me even if the spot is removed, it's one item I do NOT "pick the mold off".



Though around here, we go through bread so quickly, I haven't seen a moldy piece in ages.
nigel's Avatar nigel
09:41 PM 10-18-2006
Lothar - I'm curious (if it can be explained simply). What's bad about mold? What does it do to a person?
Kiz's Avatar Kiz
09:46 PM 10-18-2006
I'm another who just cuts off the mould and eats the rest. I make an exception for bread because, as others have pointed out, the mould goes right through the bread. It's not really an issue for me, I tend to freeze excess bread before it starts to turn.
Lothar M Kirsch's Avatar Lothar M Kirsch
10:20 AM 10-19-2006
Moulds might develop toxins which may harm the liver. There are reports of fatal liver failure after eating certain moulds (I remember one case report after eating a bag of pistacchios with mould - which must be a rare incident as it tastes bad).

Sometimes if I haven't inspected my bread carefully I can taste the mould and would spit it out immediately.
nigel's Avatar nigel
12:21 PM 10-19-2006
Thanks! I'll steer clear. My liver probably sees enough abuse as it is.
Aimra's Avatar Aimra
12:29 PM 10-19-2006
Peanuts (and I'm assuming other nuts) can grow mold easily that is harmful as Lothar pointed out. I only know this because of my parrots who get peanuts as treats sometimes. A moldy peanut given to a parrot will kill it! (Then again I'm convinced that everything kills birds!)



You should try to get roasted nuts (unless you are familiar with the supplier of course) to prevent yourself from getting moldy nuts.
Lothar M Kirsch's Avatar Lothar M Kirsch
09:28 AM 10-20-2006
Aimra thanks for that important point. Peanut plants grow over the soil, but the peanuts develop underground and so they might grow moulds easier than other nuts. But other nuts could also grow moulds if being stored in a humid environment.
Reply Up
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3