getting enough calcium - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2003, 05:57 PM

I saw someone post about a website called fitday.com, and I tried it out. According to the site, I'm getting enough essential nutrients with the exception of calcium. I was wondering if some other vegans could give me some ideas of foods to add to meals that contain calcium and what I could eat (and how much) on a given day that would be sufficient.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2003, 06:00 PM

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...hlight=calcium

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...hlight=calcium

That just about covers everything i post on the subject. Not that *I* ever say much about calicum *cough* *cough* /looks innocent
#3 Old 08-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofu, fortified oj, fortified soy milk, fortified rice milk, almonds, broccoli, and leafy greens all are good for calcium.

With the oj and the "milks" just go cup for cup like you would have cow's milk to get the same amount of calcium. I'm not sure on the amounts of the others, but I'm sure the links Krista posted will give you some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

If you´re low with proteins and phosphates (soft drinks contain lots os ortho-phosphoric acid) you´re fine with your calcium. Don´t worry, omnis should worry with their high intake of protein and phosphates!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 08-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

i supplement 1200 mgs of calcium w/ vitamin D a day. in addition to my regular multi vitamin. i also use 1000 mg b12 inj per month.
#6 Old 08-03-2003, 08:47 AM

One Silk soy yogurt has 50% of daily allowance! And soymilk has 30%! So it's pretty easy actually... and we only need about 500-800mg, alot less than the recommendation, cause we don't get too much protein like omnis.
#7 Old 08-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

When it comes to calcium, I'm abit of a radical. The American government reommends 1000mg of calcium a day. I think that the bar is set artificially high. I've read a lot of conflicting studies, and I would personally say that you need about 600-800mg of calcium a day. (FYI, in the UK, the calcium RDA is set at 900mg AFAI)

I'm not a vegan, but since I have a strong dislike of most dairy products, I can probably tell you where i get my calcium from. There is calcium in beans, notably chickpeas, which I eat a fair few of. Tahini is a good source of calcium, but I rarely eat tahini.

I just drink fortified juice every now and then. And I have the occasional pizza (w/ cheese) so that's a source of calcium, i guess.

Personally, i don't worry about calcium all that much. I just get a fortified juice drink every couple of days and drink it. In one litre, there's about 1200mg of calcium, so one can last about two days as I see it.
#8 Old 08-03-2003, 10:54 AM

Loki,

You are a male, so you don't need as much. Females do need more.
#9 Old 08-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard that taking a calcium supplement w/ a calcium rich meal doesnt work b/c the body can only take in so many mg at a time..what the problem is? Should I not hit the Caltrate during my cereal-dominant breakfast?
#10 Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 AM

As far as absorption goes, it's better to break up your calcium intake during the day. Your body only absorbs about 500 mg at a time from supplements. But, getting your calcium from food sources is a little different, so I wouldn't exactly stop taking a supplement with a meal just because it's a calcium rich meal. But, so you know PunkRockRapunzl, if you take calcium supplements at night, it may work to calm you before bed.
#11 Old 08-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm semi-confident that I get enough calcium but I supplement as insurance..I just want to confirm that I'm not wasting time and $ on calcium that has no effect?
#12 Old 08-03-2003, 02:00 PM

Taking a supplement is not a waste of money.
#13 Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Sandiemac, you have to supplement. Missleigh is right about absorption. If you calcium four times a day, not only do you absorb more you also loose less because of the better situation of calcium being able to bind to protein.

Not all people need to supplement, so if you´re semi-confident, it´s no waste of money.

As Loki said, the bar it set very high, because it has to cover demand of omnis.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#14 Old 08-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I take a suppliment, and make sure I eats me spinach.
#15 Old 08-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Lothar M Kirsch

Sandiemac, you have to supplement. .

i know i know *sigh* but it's such a pain the butt! trying to remember all these vitamins and the shots. i'm forever late on the shots because i forget which day i do it on! but i'd rather do this than weight 310 lbs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page