When did you start going gray? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not talking the odd gray hair here or there, I'm talking about noticeable gray hairs that usually start around the temple area?

I started getting them when I was 22 and they really started to come in when I was 24. I think it might be genetics because apparently I had a great uncle who went gray at 19. So, when did you start going gray? And what brand of hair dye do you use?

The unnaturally bald need not reply

~Wonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I

Quote:

The unnaturally bald need not reply

Oh. Sorry. Never mind.
#3 Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

I don't consider myself grey... yet. But I did start getting grey hairs here and there (not *there*) in the latter half of my 20's.

I'm not sure I'll ever bother with coloring my hair. It's another one of those things that's unfair for women vs. men, it seems to be more acceptable for men to have grey hair. Definitely not if I'm involved and my SO doesn't mind. I'd probably try it if it gets worse and I have to hit the dating scene again at some point.

FWIW, I didn't really notice that you were grey.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

FWIW, I didn't really notice that you were grey.

You were pretty far away, and most of my gray was covered up by the dye job my friend peer pressured me into. Plus, carnelian's made mine seem less gray by comparison What a fun lady and crazy lady. She should be on tv.

~Wonder
#5 Old 10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm lucky. I'm 31 and have none at all. I don't think my parents got it until pretty late. My former SO was 25 when I met him and I remember on our first date thinking, "Um, does he have, gray hair???" He started getting it on his temples in his early 20s. It never bothered me, but I did dye it for him once, and I think it looked much better.

Sometimes I wish all my hair would just go gray all at once, so then I could color it a nice blonde. I can do that now, but the roots look much nastier with brown hair (and it takes more caustic chemicals).
#6 Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 37 and have no gray hair. Not a one. Sorry!
#7 Old 10-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I probably shouldn't post here since I'm not at all noticably gray, but I got my first one at 17. I think my early graying is due to my trichotillomania (hair-pulling) which became particularly rough during my adolesence (as in I was in sixth grade and had a bald spot). My cousin had to start dying her hair when she was 19. My mother was fairly young, maybe early thirties, when she had to start dying hers. I don't think it's all that odd to gray young, people just don't like to admit it.

I'm planning on resisting the societal pressure to dye, but that's easy to say now.
#8 Old 10-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Q: When did you start going gray?

A: I'll let you know when it happens.
#9 Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'm 34 and have yet to have one. Both my parents went grey quite late though. Based on family history it will be my 40s before anything noticeable happens.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#10 Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm counting my lucky stars because my family history indicates I should already be going gray. My dad started getting gray hairs in high school, as did my grandma. My grandma went totally white by age 30. My mom got gray hairs in college. I can barely remember what they were like with substantial color in their hair.

I'm 23 and haven't gotten a single gray hair yet.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#11 Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I'm 47 and have so few grey hairs that it is still unnoticeable.

Am not planning on dying my hair. I have no prejudice against the colour grey.
#12 Old 10-11-2006, 03:09 PM

I started when I was about 23.
#13 Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I was in my mid thirties. I'm coloring my hair as we speak! I'm still pretty lucky because I don't have a lot of gray for a 54 year old woman. I can get away with using semi permanent every 3-4 months.
#14 Old 10-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

I started when I was about 23.

I love you SotallyTober.

Everybody else , except Michael.

Flaunting your non-gray hair in my face mumbles...

Where's carnelian?

~Wonder
#15 Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

23 or 24, and it runs in the family. My mom started going gray when she was 19 - was fully gray by the time she was 30. Same with one of her brothers.

Mine seem to come in bursts though -- for a few months, I'll get a bunch of grays, then no more for the rest of the year. Very strange. My grays are currently in patches (out of the crown of my head, my right temple, and top of my head)...

I don't plan on dying. <<< ETA: I think it's "dyeing" hehe ... but I love the typo so I'm keeping it

Gray is beautiful!
#16 Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

About 30-ish... or soon after I had kids ...

I color it about 27 different colors though - so no one notices the grey when it does show up.
#17 Old 10-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm 39, and I have TWO gray hairs, one on each temple. I have about 5-6 gray whiskers, and none 'down below'. I do find gray nose hairs when I pluck, tho...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#18 Old 10-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I had my first grey hair at 24, and turned grey at the temples around 45. In my family that's considered late.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#19 Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Beginner

I have been going gray since I was 16, now I am 29 and it is awful. I dye my hair it's natural (pre gray natural) color of brown/auburn, but the roots come in so fast and they are getting white! My mothers family went gray very young so it seems to be genetics. Also I will mention I love men that are going gray, it is very sexy, but woman unfortunatley don't look sexy with gray hair. Oh well I guess it could be worse.
#20 Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybrown View Post

I have been going gray since I was 16, now I am 29 and it is awful. I dye my hair it's natural (pre gray natural) color of brown/auburn, but the roots come in so fast and they are getting white! My mothers family went gray very young so it seems to be genetics. Also I will mention I love men that are going gray, it is very sexy, but woman unfortunatley don't look sexy with gray hair. Oh well I guess it could be worse.

I think some women look really beautiful with gray hair!
#21 Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ I agree.
#22 Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

...carnelian's made mine seem less gray by comparison

One could consider that a benefit of hanging out with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

What a fun lady and crazy lady.

~Wonder

Thank you...I think you're quite the nut job, too.

I started turning gray/grey when I was 16 years old, which is the age my father was when he started to turn. I've only dyed my hair once, which was many years ago at the urging of a couple of people, but I was uncomfortable with it...it just wasn't me. It is what it is, ya know?
#23 Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Grey hair is really uncommon in my family. My grandmother is 78 and barely has any - just around the temples!! My aunt started getting gray around 55, although my mother has yet to get any grays. I don't expect to go grey, but if i do I wont likely dye it.

There are a couple guys at my work in their late 20's early 30's who have quite a few gray hairs. lucky for them it just looks distinguished ;-)
#24 Old 10-14-2006, 05:31 AM
Banned

24, not yet.

ebola
#25 Old 10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Beginner

I mostly lurk (very rarely post), but this thread was tailor-made for me. I started going gray at 16 or 17. Now I'm 28. I have lots of gray hair throughout my entire head, and one big patch of white hair at the top of my head (think Rogue from X-men, except not quite so symmetrical or esthetically pleasing).

Sometimes I dye it, but my hair grows fast and then I get awful roots. Besides, dyes are just so caustic...I hate how my eyes and nose feel when I'm doing it. Other times I just let it grow naturally. I don't really mind the gray, except that the hairs seem coarser and more prone to frizzing and looking dry. I have curly, frizzy hair so I've been fighting on the hair front most of my life! (As an aside, I have to say that Curly Girl -fluff that it may be - did a lot to help me love my hair.)

The funny part is that I get lots of compliments on my white hair - ALL of them from women who are over 40. I've never been complimented on the white by a man or by a young woman (except for my sister, who has an obvious bias). Also, when my hair is freshly-dyed, everyone tells me how much they love it. I'm vain and I LIKE getting compliments on my hair. Go figure.

My second graders always draw me with bright crayola-orange hair. Not sure why, since my hair is brown. When I taught seventh grade, the girls asked me if I used spray-on hair colour for my streak. Before I could answer, they quickly added "because you really shouldn't".

Meh. Hair is hair. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't.
#26 Old 10-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

#27 Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 AM
Banned

I was in my late 30's when I got enough gray to notice, and it came in a patch in the crown of my head just like Mom's. I was actually an exception in my family. Most of my family were salt and pepper gray by 30, and close to white headed by 45. I still don't fit. I am just now at 56 salt and pepper when I stay off the bottle. Right now I am blond looking for a bottle of brown. Thank God for hair color.
#28 Old 10-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine started when I was in college, and now at 34, I'm about 40-50% grey. But I dye mine pretty regularly, right now there is a bottle of chestnut/auburn screaming my name in the bathroom!
#29 Old 10-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I was shocked when a friend of mine apparently noticed some grey hair at 21. My dad didn't go grey until about 50, and even so, it's only in patches. My mom went grey about a decade earlier than my dad, and nearly completely.

I haven't noticed any grey hair, and I'm 23, now. Maybe I have some faint ones...next time I get my hair cut (rare) I'll check.
#30 Old 10-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I was shocked when a friend of mine apparently noticed some grey hair at 21. My dad didn't go grey until about 50, and even so, it's only in patches. My mom went grey about a decade earlier than my dad, and nearly completely.

I haven't noticed any grey hair, and I'm 23, now. Maybe I have some faint ones...next time I get my hair cut (rare) I'll check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page