What's Your Attitude Toward Germs? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: What's your attitude toward germs?
Totally casual 0 0%
Somewhat careful 0 0%
I do whatever's socially acceptable. 0 0%
Very careful 0 0%
I'm tempted to walk around with a mask over my face. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

<-------- me on my way to the mall

Thats because I was there earlier and I was coughing and sneezing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 PM

Germs are my friends. I try to come in contact with as many as possible.
#33 Old 09-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm casual about it. I ignore the three-second-rule and eat things off the ground so long as I dropped them there fairly recently. I re-heat rice. I kiss my cat on the nose.

The only time I'm more careful is when it affects other people, especially children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

<-------- me on my way to the mall

After I posted I realized it's not that funny because the arrow is now pointing to my avatar instead of astro's!
#35 Old 09-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Before I post, may we have the air conditioning ducts and heat vents closed, please.

And no movement while the air settles down.

Anybody down there planning on having an itch, please scratch it now. Not later, please.

Thank you.

Okay, my attitude towards germs is much like a lot of VBer's attitude towards me: Utter contempt.

At home I could consider myself casual because it's just my wife, me and four cats. We keep a clean-ish house. (With four cats it's never as clean as it could be). So I don't worry much.

I wash my fruit and veg before consuming them. I wash my hands before I cook and before I eat; I can handle having germs on my hands. I just don't want to eat them.

At work I'm a hand washer, paper towel knobber; if you saw some of the cats I work with you would be too.

Same for public washrooms except I don't knob in public washrooms; I use a sleeve, elbow or small child to open the door, whatever's handy. I wash my hands for me as much as for the social convention aspect.

I mean, when I see guys who handle their junk and just walk out the door without even pretending to have a light rinse I can only wonder at the savagery of their upbringing.

So I don't know which to vote for. I wouldn't boil my clothes or put my kitchen utensils in an autoclave. I think hand sanitizer is kind of crossing that line into OCD territory.

So maybe I would just say carefulis that what is meant by socially acceptable?

I don't know.

In a lot of ways I look at germs like weapons of mass destruction. I can't see them, I can only believe the experts when they tell me they exist, so I will take the necessary steps to irradacate them whether it's the right thing to do or not.

Cheers!

TJ
#36 Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Always wash after using the restroom (Its surprising how many people dont... scary even)

Always use a paper towel to open the bathroom door - if none are available ill wait a minute for someone to come in - if no one does, use the bottom of my shirt.

Always use hand sanitizer after fueling up my car.

Always open other doors by not-so-common areas if possible.

Did you know that a shopping cart handle has more bacteria then a public toilet seat?

I'll try to find to list of bacteria counts on public areas that i read that from. But yeah its crazy - those shopping cart handles are horrible.
#37 Old 09-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

oh and if someoen sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth (rude sob's) I 'll try to hold my breath until I can walk away or until it can settle.

Although when I DO get sick (....its been a loooong time) I don't take antibiotics or anything else. I'll give my immune system a chance first. Now if say a week passed with no change then I would think about taking something.

There is a serious overuse of antibiotics in the world today. It's all just creating super strains. People even run to antibiotics when they have a virus. >.>
#38 Old 09-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Eww washing hands in a public place, it grosses me out to no end to know someone just went into that stall, let a smelly one then walked out the door useing the handle I have to after I am done washing my hands.

I use a paper towl to open the door, WTF is wrong with people do they not know the health hazards of not washing your hands?

It is not just germs! There is a huge host of parasites that travel around that way.
#39 Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Did you know that a shopping cart handle has more bacteria then a public toilet seat? I'll try to find to list of bacteria counts on public areas that i read that from. But yeah its crazy - those shopping cart handles are horrible.

I did notice a few weeks ago that my grocery store now has cart wipes in the entry area.

But wiping cart handles is just too far for me. I mean, think about it. There are dozens of things we touch every day that other people touch, and we can't sanitize them all. At least not without turning into Monk. I think once you start using paper towels to open door handles and sanitizing shopping carts, you're on a slippery slope to complete germophobia. At least I would be. To me it's just not logical to wipe down the cart handle or bathroom door handle before you use it, but not wipe down the ATM buttons, elevator buttons, every door handle everywhere, the salt and pepper at the restaurant, and so on and so forth. After all, the same people who didn't wash their hands in the bathroom are out there in the world, touching things!
#40 Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I always wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before cooking, but not before or after eating. Also I wash my hands after cleaning my bunnies cage..

I go on public toilets and I don't shower, I only take baths (dont know if that is more germy than showers :P)
#41 Old 09-09-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I did notice a few weeks ago that my grocery store now has cart wipes in the entry area.

But wiping cart handles is just too far for me. I mean, think about it. There are dozens of things we touch every day that other people touch, and we can't sanitize them all. At least not without turning into Monk. I think once you start using paper towels to open door handles and sanitizing shopping carts, you're on a slippery slope to complete germophobia. At least I would be. To me it's just not logical to wipe down the cart handle or bathroom door handle before you use it, but not wipe down the ATM buttons, elevator buttons, every door handle everywhere, the salt and pepper at the restaurant, and so on and so forth. After all, the same people who didn't wash their hands in the bathroom are out there in the world, touching things!

Cart whipes? That's awesome. I would definitely use them! I don't think it's OCD-like to sanitize something that is dirtier than a public toilet seat.
#42 Old 09-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Butt cheeks are cleaner than peoples hands too.

One thing is covered 90% of the time (unless your in the bathroom/having sex)

The other touches any everything - lots of chances for cross contamination.

There was a mythbusters that found it was cleaner to rub butts with someone than shake hands but yeah lol.
#43 Old 09-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

if anyone wants to rub butts ill be in my room lol.
#44 Old 09-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Beginner

I chosed very careful. I work in the healthcare field so I am always washing my hands and also after taking Microbiology and learning how many germs are in that school I go to, I wash my hand frequently. I carry around a hand sanitizer. I do have 3 kids so I can't always be germ-free but when we are out in public I make sure we wash our hands, etc.
#45 Old 09-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm extremely casual about it - I won't SAY how casual, since there are people on this board who've eaten food I've made, or been to my house...yeah, well..

The one exception is cats on my kitchen counters and especially - my bed... arrrggghhh, it's enough to give me the willies.... I love my cats to death but absolutely can NOT abide the thought of those litterbox feet on the same place where my face or food will be <<shudder>>.

I agree with those who've said that exposure to germs probably makes us healthier and more resistant to disease... my (ex)Mother-in-Law was obsessed that my kids would die prematurely of some horrible third-world-country disease... she accused me repeatedly of "being a bad mother" (true story) because my kids played in the mud, often had dirty faces, ate food that had hit the floor (occasionally), didn't always wash their hands at appropriate times - and kissed the dog on the mouth.

Yeah - they haven't missed a day of school, due to illness, in six years. :P
#46 Old 09-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There was a mythbusters that found it was cleaner to rub butts with someone than shake hands but yeah lol.

I saw that!!

Yeah, but no thanks - there's only one person I'd want to rub butts with, and I feel totally comfortable sharing germs with him anyway.
#47 Old 09-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

The one exception is cats on my kitchen counters and especially - my bed... arrrggghhh, it's enough to give me the willies.... I love my cats to death but absolutely can NOT abide the thought of those litterbox feet on the same place where my face or food will be <<shudder>>.

Oh, yeah. I draw the line at kitchen counters, dining tables, and pillows. Unfortunately, I have one cat who is absolutely incorrigible abot getting on the counter/table. I catch the little monster sleeping on the cutting board! *gnashes teeth* I think I'm going to go disinfect everything now...
#48 Old 09-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

if anyone wants to rub butts ill be in my room lol.

You're such a butt-rubber.
#49 Old 09-10-2006, 01:46 PM

I'm very, very careful. I'm an emetophobic so I really don't like germs. Whenever someone is sick in my house I basically lock myself in my room the whole time, whenever I leave I have to use like a cloth or something to touch things like the fridge door, etc. I also carry anti bacterial no water cleanser in my pocket. It's pretty bad.

I actually don't mind my own animals germs, it's just germs that can make me sick.
#50 Old 09-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyiouaNectarine View Post

I actually don't mind my own animals germs, it's just germs that can make me sick.

But animal germs CAN make you sick. Cats can be passive carriers of salmonella; rodents can pass something to humans that killed a little boy a few months back. I don't know the name of the pathogen, but clearly close contact with animals CAN get you sick.
#51 Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Rodents can carry leptospirae, bacteria that cause may cause a fuminant hepatitis!

But on the other hand - I'm very casual. We need germs. I drink from some open streams, but I wouldn't sit on every toilet (especially not on public toilets near the high way).

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#52 Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to choose Somewhat Careful.

I used to wash my hands a lot, because they felt kinda grimy after a while. HOWEVER, I started getting sore knuckes, but maybe it has to do with the type of water we have here in the dorm?

anyway, now I just wash my hands after using the bathroom, handling food, etc. nothing excessive or lacking really.

as for toilet seat covers, I always use them. (either that or toilet paper)

I know I read online somewhere that more germs are transmitted through door handles than on toilet seats, but it's just one of those things, you know?

what really really bothers me is people who cough/sneeze in my vicinity and basically don't even bother to try to shield those around them. (tissue arm, even hand if you have to)

maybe it's also because I haven't been sick in over a year and I don't want to have to deal with that.

I always wash dishes very thoroughly.

that's about all I can think of right now, lol.
#53 Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted very careful.

I don't like to touch door handles. Usually I push the door with my body or turn the knob with a tissue.

I wash my hands often with hot water and don't like touching my face outside my home. Always toilet seats or make my own with tissues. When I return home, I wash my hands.

I don't get sick very often and contribute it to my hand washing.
#54 Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I wash my hands (to a count of 30) before eating/handling food/when I get home from school-work-field/after using the bathroom/whenever they're dirty. If in public, I turn off the water with my elbow or something and use paper towels to open the bathroom door.

I will only share food/beverages with my bf because we live together, etc..., and it's hard to avoid germs with him. I do bug him to wash his hands when he gets home from work, and after he uses the bathroom though (he works in a bank! ew money!).

I don't obsessively steralize things and I'm currently using a public computer in the library at school, though I will wash my hands before I eat lunch/go to my next class in 40 minutes. I also won't eat things that fall on my kitchen floor because no matter how much you clean that linolium it always looks filthy. :P

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#55 Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, money is so freaking nasty. When I worked in retail I would count my drawer at the end of my shift and my hands would be so gross and dirty when I got done. I washed my hands before I even left work.
#56 Old 09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say I'm quite careful. I'm certainly very concious of myself and my surroundings. It seems I'm always washing my hands.
#57 Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't sat on a public restroom seat since I was, like, 5 years old. People really do?!? lol

I'm not a freak about handshakes, casual daily contacts ... but if there's a flu going around, I'll break out the Lysol. I'll stand a bit further away from someone who's sneezing all over the place. People make fun, but I've had the whole household get flu while I remained unaffected.

I wash my hands a fair bit, but not obsessively by any stretch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page