whole grains - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2003, 10:38 PM

Could someone please explain for me the differences between whole grain and processed (not whole grain?) ingredients in foods? I understand the physical difference with these ingredients, but what I am after is nutritional differences. More specifically, I'm curious about the difference between whole grains and not in terms of carbohydrate content related to weight gain. I have read often that whole grain foods are healthier, and I believe that, I just would like to understand why, technically. For example, would eating the same quanitity of whole grain bread, instead of white bread, result is less weight gain?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2003, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Whole grain: more fiber, more vitamins, lower glycemic index (raises blood sugar slower and keeps it more steady)... that's all I can think of.

And substituting the same amount wouldn't result in less weight gain, I believe, because a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. But it would make you feel much fuller for sure
#3 Old 07-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Eating the same quantity of whole grain bread vs. white bread will not result in any weight gain. But to supplement VegAnna's comments, whole grains contain more fiber, so it will take a longer time to digest thus filling you up longer. White bread however, contains less or no fiber and thus will be digested much faster than whole grains. When food is digested faster, then you will get hungry much faster and thus may consume more food, which will (if you don't move much) or will not result in weight gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-28-2003, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

And whole grains also contain the essential fatty acids. The industry doesn´t like them, because they easily get rancid after processing the grain.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 08-02-2003, 05:59 PM

Thank you for the responses. Now....can someone explain the difference between simple and complex carbohydrates?

I'm a little new to nutrition..
#6 Old 08-02-2003, 06:02 PM

Same thing, really. The simple carbs are the refined ones and the complex carbs are the more hearty, closer to natural state carbs.

ie. Twinkie, white pasta = simple carb; brown rice, beans = complex carbs
#7 Old 08-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Simple carbs: sugars like sucrose, glucose, lactose ...

Complex carbs: starches.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 08-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Whole grains are probably good for your colon and stuff- they keep you regular! heh. But anyways...

Whole grain bread should have around 3+ grams of fiber a slice, refined maybe 1 or around there. The W.G. has much more vitamin content too, niacin, zinc, little calcium, etc etc. Just try checking a label. Its very impressive. I honestly think they taste better too, whole durum pasta is more interesting tastin then refined.
#9 Old 08-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Lothar M Kirsch

Simple carbs: sugars like sucrose, glucose, lactose ...

Complex carbs: starches.

Another complex carb: fiber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page