metabolism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

ACK! I had started writing this post and then the window closed on me How odd. Anyway.

I have a question. I wasn't sure if maybe this belonged on the Eat to Live thread, since pretty much everything food-related I have to say does, but I figured I'd just ask in a new thread. So, now that I've started eating somewhat normally again (I have cycles of recovery/relapse after a long bout of anorexia or something like it -- I'm on the recovery side now), I'm hungry like, ALL THE TIME. Well, not all the time, but pretty close to it. I was thinking maybe this was due to my metabolism re-adjusting itself; like, now that I have metabolism, I have hunger as well? Or maybe I can just recognize it now? Or maybe something else entirely? I'm also pretty active, maybe that helps. I don't know, this is all I could come up with, but I just figured I'd ask a group of people who are much more well-informed than I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I go through periods where it's like, FOOD. NOW. AND NOW. AND AGAIN. Hehe.. Just hungry, all the time. I attribute it to 1. I'm vegan, 2. I have a job chasing 13 year old boys around and 3. well heck, I'm young.

So, right. This is probably a normal thing. Part of your metabolism kicking back into swing.
#3 Old 07-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no idea if it is metabolism related or not but i do know that hunger is a very typical "side effect" of eating when in eating disorder, particularly anorexia, recovery, it is so normal they prepare and over prepare you for it when you are in treatment groups. because they dont want you relapsing cause of it. ya its pretty normal and from what i know it is because your body is saying thanks for that food, but i know that you usually dont feed me so im going to send you some more hunger signals cause im still malnurished from before, and i need to be refed and so im going to make you feel hungry now. even though before your body just gave up and turned off those signals, or blocked them or whatever was going on for you personallly..

does that help or did i confuse you more lol

say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I don´t think it metabolism. It´s like JavaPrincess sait. In eating disorders you loose feelings like hunger and satiety.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 07-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been exaclty like that. LAst night I ate an entire (13 servings) container of rolled oats in soymilk, and I was not even stuffed!
#6 Old 07-23-2003, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

It coule be a combination of both. You are now finally realizing you HAVE hunger and it's overwhelming, and also your metabolism is speeding up from where it was before. I get much more hungry when I eat something early in the day (which i usually don't ) and end up eating twice as much as normal throughout the day, but don't gain any weight, which I "blame" on a faster metabolism throughout the day since breakfast is supposed to jump-start it. Or like JavaPrincess said, your body is probably thinking "oh, now I get something, better make sure I cry for a lot of it before it stops again".
#7 Old 07-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

hehe, thanks everyone! that clears a lot up for me
#8 Old 07-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

How long would this last?
#9 Old 07-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends from what i know just like everyones metabolismdiffers so does how long it takes to restablish a normal level. plus it depends how well you eat and how stable your eating is. if you are really consistent in responding to your bodies signals then your body will probably learn sooner to reestablish a healthy metabolism is my quess, based on what i know about metabolism... not much research has proven results that i have found on this.

Say
#10 Old 07-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

A related question, how might one raise one's metabolism? Like, any tips besides stuff like oh, eating properly and exercise I was just curious, because I was thinking today that sometimes I think that I have really high metabolism because I'm active and stuff, but then I remember all the crap I've done to myself and I remember that uh, I don't. Hee
#11 Old 07-24-2003, 06:23 PM

eating frequent, small meals is known to boost your metabolism...also herbs like spirulina and guarana...i wouldn't try ephedra....maybe a lot of fruits and veggies spaced shortly between each other....obviously excersizing...maybe something aerobic u know? adequate sleep...yada yada yada...
#12 Old 07-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Adequate sleep? Damn, there go my metabolism-boosting plans

I'm staying far far far FAR away from ephedra now, anyway. That stuff's bad news. Or at least after you get addicted to the stupid pills...
#13 Old 07-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

*post-thought* Actually wait... Even though my lack of eating slowed my metabolism to probably pretty close to a halt, my excessive ephedra use shot it through the roof, plus my excessive exercising (even though any exercising on those pills raises heart attack risk even more...), so it probably evened out to normal-to-high even when I wasn't eating, right? So then, maybe my metabolism isn't having as much of a shock? Does that make any sense or would that not happen at all and I'm just really stretching because I don't want to believe my metabolism's f*cked?
#14 Old 07-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'd stay away from herbs that alter your metabolism.

At this point, your body needs to find its natural point of homeostasis, and the use of drugs to alter your hunger reflex and metabolism will only make your body's plight tougher.

As for ephedra, I've used it a couple times for the energetic altered state it provides (like VERY VERY low-grade speed) and I found that it did not significantly alter how hungry I'd get or even how often I'd find myself wanting to eat. Ephedra is crap for dieters.

ebola

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page