Calling All Hamsters -- Week #31 Ending 7/26/03 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2003, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Calling All Hamsters - Week #31 Ending 7/26/03

Week #31

Please do all posting here and let the other thread go.

Mission: The VeggieBoards Hamster Club is a group of fitness/health minded vegans and vegetarians who support each other in their endeavors in fitness, diet, and health. Anyone who chooses can post to this thread. There are no dues or fees, just a desire to share our efforts and support one another. Let's hear from you all!!!!

The Hamsters rock! Let's keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2003, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

ok..my food journal went ok. this week my goals are going to be:

I WILL keep the food journal going

I WILL walk/jog AT LEAST 3 days this week

I WILL drink AT LEAST 32 oz of water (ugh) A DAY
#3 Old 07-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

So. My goals, after a week of lounging around:

- run for at least 60 minutes, Monday to Saturday

- do five sets of fifteen, each, of crunches/bicycle crunches/side-reaches, daily

- 60 lunges, daily

- 50 push-ups, daily

- drink more water; stop drinking diet gingerale (and diet drinks, in general)

- eat more fruits and vegetables

My usual routine, really. I need it - in an "I crave it" kind of way, not an "I'm so faaat" way.

Also, I need to buy both rollerblades and an exercise ball, this week. It's time to mix it up. Perhaps I'll start using my gym membership, again, and add weights to my hamstering.

I'm going to believe it's not entirely crazy, being this excited about exercise.

Here's to a wonderful week, hamsters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Here are my goals for this week (I only missed mine last week because I didn't do anything yesterday. Thppt.)

Today: weights, yoga, abs

Monday: 4 mile run, yoga, weights.

Doctor's appt re: hip, knees, wrist.. ugh. I'm so not excited about that, but if I make it one of my goals, maybe it will be better.

Tuesday: dance 3 hours

weights

Wednesday: rest (optional dance)

Thursday: 40 min run, weights, yoga

Friday: 30 min crosstrain, weights, yoga

Saturday: 4 mile run, pilates

Have a great week, hamsters!
#5 Old 07-20-2003, 11:45 AM

I'm gonna start posting here for some support, cos I can't really get it anywhere else.

Anyway, just to fill in everyone here. I am 15, and paralyzed from the waist down. So losing weight is a little bit harder for me, because I cannot exercise properly like most able-bodied people can. But I am really trying.

Back in June(can't really remember the exact date), I was weight at my doctor's office(the only place i can be weighed), and I weight 203 lbs. Which I guess is ok, because I had been dieting like a nutter in hopes of reduced weight. Last time I was weighed it was 199, but I'm sure I had gained atleast 10-20 pounds afterwards, so 203 isn't so bad is it?

Anyway, I've really changed my lifestyles, because I am determined to become more healthy, and lose weight. One problem I really have is junk food. I thought that becoming vegetarian, would help me lose weight, and it has, but vegetarianism, doesn't rule out junk. And that's what I am having a hard time with. I've always had a hard time with that. I eat for emotional reasons, but haven't lately. I've been doing really well.

I've been exercising as well. Crunches(my version anyway), and I've bought 10 and 20 lb dumbells to work on my upperbody. I already really strong arms, because wheeling is my only form of transportation, but there's still some jiggle. It's not arm flab, it's kinda like firm flab. haha So I really wanna get rid of that, and become stronger, so that I can become more self-sufficient, and do more for myself.

Anyway, my goals for this week:

Crunches before I go to bed or while waiting - 5 days a week atleast

Dumbell workout - 6 days a week, and If I want, 7 days.

I really wanna workout with both of these all 7 days of the week, but those are the minimums.

Anyway, I apologize for my long post, but it was my first, and wanted to get all my info out there so you guys can help me hopefully.
#6 Old 07-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Beautiful fire,

I really hope you get feeling a part of the group because if you like the rest of VB,

you can be sure of liking it in "hamsters weekly workouts" which is good for what you want in terms of exercise combined with group support and I'd like to think we can provide some impetus for meeting those special (strength gathering) needs that you

have, in respect of your disability, even though we are not experts in anyway as concerns your particular disability, but we will of course be considerate of that and hope it works out well for you, just as it were for a fully abled person.

Thankyou for speaking out and introducing yourself about what your goals are, its good to get an idea... The other group here

at VB that I recommend equally as highly is Phoenix Rising!!!

https://veggieboards.com/boards/showt...?threadid=4076

https://veggieboards.com/boards/showt...0&pagenumber=4 <- Currently the most recent messages are here on page No.4!!!!
#7 Old 07-20-2003, 12:07 PM

Thank you
#8 Old 07-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Edited: Today I was going to go on a nice bike ride, but my bike didn't fit into my car so I ended going to the trail anyways and walking for 3.2 miles. It was really hot and humid, but I soldiered on and it was great. Once again - have a great week everyone!
#9 Old 07-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

beautiful fire --

Welcome to the hamsters!

Your goals sound good. My only concern would be that if you do dumbell workouts every day, you should probably vary the exercises so you give your muscles a chance to rest. For example, do biceps one day, triceps the next, etc... From what I know, you're supposed to rest your muscles 48 hours between weight work. That way you'd still get to work out, but not overdo it and risk injury.

Yeah... vegetarianism doesn't rule out junk, that's for sure. Sounds like you're getting a handle on it, though.

And don't apologize for your long post! We want to hear from you!

As for me, all I've done so far today is clean. A lot. The scrubbing has to count for something! (And the running up and down stairs with laundry baskets... I'm stretching here, I know. ) Weights are coming up soon, though.
#10 Old 07-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I decided to join you guys - maybe it'll help me keep my fitness goals, though I'm pretty good at doing that.

I'm not trying to lose weight - if you know me a bit, you know I'm recovering from anorexia (And I've been doing REALLY REALLY well for the past few months!), so I actually need to gain a bit.

*Do a 30 - 45 minute bike ride every day OR do 1 hour yoga

*Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday - work out arms and legs

-30 bicep curls

-30 lunges/side

-30 squats

-30 calf raises w/ weights

-30 push ups

-30 tricep extensions

*Monday, Wednesday, Friday - work out abs

-30 bicycle crunches

-30 leg lifts

-30 crunches w/ leg crossed over per side

-30 crunches

-3 minutes plank position
#11 Old 07-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, beautiful fire and Cissy! I hope you enjoy it around here!

Today was a rest day. So I'll go ahead and post my goals for the week:

Monday: Swim (probably about 45 laps)

Tuesday: Rest day

Wednesday: A long evening bike ride

Thursday: Tai chi

Friday: Swim (about 45 laps)

Saturday: Rest day

Sunday: Ride my bike or swim, depending on the weather/temperature

Have a great week, Hamsters!
#12 Old 07-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, so far, this week I have been one lazy moo. However I have just finished a 4hr dance
#13 Old 07-20-2003, 06:23 PM

Thanks Mskedi,

I read that and kinda agree. I do dance quite often, and I guess I will just alternate dancing and dumbells. Altho, my muscles never hurt when I weight train, even day after day. The only time they did hurt was the 2nd day after I began, and my muscles were still getting use to it. They hurt terribly for about 4 days, but it hasn't been a problem since.

Thanks for the input.
#14 Old 07-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Cissy and beautiful fire! I hope you really enjoy hamster-ing, and that it's helpful. The people here are great.

So, I bought a Bally's exercise ball (I have wimpy arms, so it took for-ev-er to pump up - and it's small!), a knee brace, new shorts and a shirt. I'm aaaall set. (Also? Surprise 50% off sales are wonderful things!)
#15 Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I did my bike ride...it was fun except for the deerflies....I actually did over 45 minutes, and I could have gone longer. And I did the arm/leg workout first thing in the morning.
#16 Old 07-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hiya Hamsters,

Wow, week 31! I can't believe it! You guys are great!!!!

Let's see, I pretty much made last weeks goal except for swimming cuz when I had the time to do it it was to chilly here. Running wise I finished the week with 13 miles just 2 short of the goal...but today I did 8 for my long run Tomorrow is a rest day!

My goal for this week will be the same as last week:

15 miles during the week

+swimming and tennis or bike rides

weekend long run

Welcome new Hamsters @Reaven, beautiful fire, and Cissy! So happy you could join us

I'm to tired to post more tonight, so I'll just say great job to you all! Excellent Hamstering! I know we're going to have another great week!

Hamster Hamster Hamster!!!!
#17 Old 07-21-2003, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

weeks goals:

3 to 5 miles for 5 days

8 miles sat.

mon. and wed. karate class....broken fingers and all

200 crunchesx6 days

30 push-upsx6days

30 minutes or more a day of stretching and forms

tai-chi every morning

sunday off
#18 Old 07-21-2003, 03:09 AM

hi everyone

catch-up post!

friday: cycled 66 miles

saturday: a whole 2 1/2 miles

sunday: 41 miles

i'll get back to you for today ;-)
#19 Old 07-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi hamsters! And welcome to the new hamsters!

Yesterday was a rest day.

Today, I did 70 minutes of yoga, and will do 20 minutes cardio on the elliptical machine this afternoon.
#20 Old 07-21-2003, 10:07 AM

Yesterday:

30 minutes of dumbell workout

30 crunches - really dissapointed about that

20 minutes of dancing

Drank a lot of water, I always do.

I guess I do ok yesterday, but I've been having THE worst week, and exercising makes me feel better...so double all of that for today, and x8 probably for the crunches.
#21 Old 07-21-2003, 10:56 AM

27 miles cycled so far today...but i know i'm going to end up doing at least 4 more this evening. i'm doing another time trial tomorrow, maybe a 2up! i'm less scared than i was last week ;-)

spent a good half hour as the back end of a camel today.....would that count as hamstering? or maybe just cammeling
#22 Old 07-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, Hamsters!

I swam about 45 laps today and busted out the kickboard to spice my routine up a little. Tomorrow I've got all sorts of odds and ends to catch up on, so I've scheduled it as a rest day. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to take a nice, long bike ride Wednesday. If not, I'll be hitting the pool again (unless it starts lightening ). So we'll see!

I hope everyone's having a great week so far!
#23 Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

1h35 on the treadmill (running - sometimes at an incline - and climbing)

50 push-ups

75 crunches

75 bicycle crunches

75 side-reaches

70 lunges

15 squats (testing out the new exercise ball)

My hamstering got off to a fantastic start! Running was so easy, today, compared to last week when taking one step nearly killed me. Woohoo. Also, I'm happy that I reduced my time from 2 - 2 1/2 hours to 1:35. It's not 60 minutes, but I'm getting there.

I think I'll do some work with my exercise ball, tonight. I did an easy set of squats, this morning, and I think I'll do an extra four sets of 15.

Keep it up, everyone!
#24 Old 07-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... for the first time in very long I've actually done some moving. Not much, not at all, but hey it's better than noting.

I went to pick raspberries today, along the road. From the bus-window today I'd seen some very nice-looking berries right by the elementary school not long from where I live. So this afternoon I went to eat them, nit planning on actually do any picking, since eating from the bush is uhm... funner.

But I did bring a plastic bag anyway, and mighty good I did, 'cause I found loads of raspberries everywhere, even the fun yellow ones (more like a translucent peachy yellow, actually)

So it made a nice dessert to bring back home.

Ah yes. The moving part. About 30mins of brisk walking, all in all.

My... that's not much compared to you guys.

Makes me tired just reading these posts. Ah but in a good way. "Wow" more than "yikes"
#25 Old 07-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

You all are doing wonderful!

I went to the doctor today -- it was not good. I can't run the marathon... and not because of my knees or hip as I suspected (as long as I keep using the brace, those should be fine). It ends up I have a heart murmur . I know next to nothing about those, so I don't know how worried I should be, which, of course, means I'm worried a lot. The only thing I know is that one of my best friends had one and ended up having heart surgery -- scary! I'm almost afraid to hamster at all.

And I have to have surgery on my wrist.

Ugh. Other than that, the visit to the doctor was fine.

I haven't done my hamstering yet. I want to run, but I feel like my heart might explode or something. I might wait until I go see the cardiologist before I do anything strenuous. I have no idea how serious this is. I guess it could very well not be anything to worry about (?).
#26 Old 07-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

hi all,

i decided to start posting my "workouts" too. i am already good at eating healthy foods (ok, occasional junk too!) so now, i am working at trying to include exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle. this summer, i have been swimming regularly because i have nothing else to do. i don't really enjoy other forms of exercise because i pant too much. so swimming leisurely is all i did and probably will do. i walk a lot too, because i don't have a car and rely on public transportation. okay, enough said, here is a typical week for me:

M, W, F, Sun: 5lbs weights - triceps, biceps; crunches, leg lifts

Tu, Th, Sat: leisure swimming - 30 mins: 90% breaststroke, 10% freestyle

i hope i will get inspired to do some other forms of exercise. keep going hamsters!
#27 Old 07-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

hopi or anyone,

i think my general knowlege is close to nil but what constitutes a "lap" for swimming?
#28 Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 PM

20 mins of dumbell workout

20 mins of dancing

----------------------

No crunches yet, but once in bed those will happen, I am determined!
#29 Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Did the ab workout, and took a 30 min bike ride, and later took a 20 minute one. I had to drag my lazy arse up to take it, but I did it!

You guys are doing great!
#30 Old 07-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Mskedi- I am so sorry! I hope everything turns out ok for you, and I will keep you in my prayers. A girl I run with from the gym has the same problem, and what she has to do is wear a heart monitor to keep track of her heart and rate and never let it go above 200. So, there are ways to control and handle the situation...

Today I ran about 3.5 miles with some sprints and did some upper body lifting and abs...I also cleaned for 5 hours. Um, my run was really unpleasant. Someone tell me that sometimes we just have bad workouts? I am feeling DISCOURAGED!

lovenlight,

linz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page