UGH, I have to take medicine that has animal derived ingredients - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-27-2006, 01:24 PM

It's the only choice I have. I die, or I take this. And even with that reality I hate the thought of taking it. But I do it. There is nothing else I can take, or I would

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any experience with it outside of needing surgery at one point but there are members here who do. I'm sure they will be along to show support. What's the med if you don't mind me asking?
#3 Old 05-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Vegan Police Officer

If I were you, I would get a second opinion from another doctor before starting to freak out. There may very well be an alternative which your doctor does not know of, or which he/she is not in the habit of prescribing.

Second opinions are always useful when it comes to medical issues. It's amazing sometimes the different viewpoints one can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the second opinion.

Try look up if a support group in your region has a list of vegetarian GPs, who might know about an alternative. Some groups issue such lists (here in Germany the Deutsche Vegetarier Bund <Veg Union> issued such a list).

And if you don't have an alternative ... even Bernard Shaw had to make such a decision ... I'd rather take the medication, as Bernard Shaw did.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#5 Old 06-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I take an unavoidable animal-tested drug in a gelatin capsule.

Sometimes you have no choice.

Try not to feel bad. Try to use your life to help other animals.
#6 Old 06-05-2006, 05:42 AM
Banned

I say take the medicine, and don't lose a minute's sleep over it. My husband has to carry an epi-pen; I'm told the medicine does not come from animals, but if it did, I still wouldn't have a second thought about it.
#7 Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 AM

Yep. I'd take meds in a heartbeat that had animal derived ingredients if I needed them to save my life. It's naturally to want to save yourself..even the animals act on self preservation instincts. Don't lose any sleep over it like bst posted.
#8 Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Well, if it was life or death I would take it but it strikes me as pretty weird if a doctor just came out and said "take this random drug or die. Have a nice day!" I'd definately be asking for second opinions.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 06-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Interesting first post.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Take your medicine. Using an animal product to save a human life is a whole lot different than using it because you feel like it, or like how it tastes or looks or how it feels on your skin. Medical technology just isn't at the point where they can avoid it completely (they'll get there eventually, just not yet.) Take your medicine. Don't beat yourself up over it.
#11 Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, gelatin coated meds for severe allergies. It happens. We all do what we can.
#12 Old 06-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't forget that EVERY medicine whether prescription or over the counter has been tested on animals regardless of whether it contains animal ingredients or not. It's unfortunate but medical technology just isn't to the point where they can skip out on animal testing yet.
#13 Old 06-12-2006, 10:43 AM

In your opinion, you mean.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, in my opinion. I'm not a doctor or a medical researcher though.
#15 Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Interesting first post.

First and only post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page