A-line bob - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

is this where we post about hair?

anyway, i'm considering the a-line bob. (any general hospital fans? georgie currently has this cut. it's a bob but the front pieces are longer than the back). i can't find any good picturess of this cut! well, especially since i want it to be "edgier" than what is typical......i'd like there to be a more drastic difference between the front and back.

aside from needing a picture, i'm wondering if anyone here has this cut and can tell me what you're results have been like based on what type of hair you have?

i have had waistlength hair for years so this will be a HUGE switch for me. with that said, i'd even welcome stories from anyone who's parted with long hair after a long time!

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

They did a similar cut on the What Not to Wear episode that I watched today:

Here's the front: http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wh...update_06.html

Here's the back:

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wh...update_11.html

Here's the side:

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wh...update_12.html

If you look at some of the other pictures in the slideshow, you can see some of the funkier ways that they styled her hair.
#3 Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! I had that hairstyle for the longest time. I loved it, it was probably my favorite hair ever. I've been growing out my hair for the past few years, but I still miss that Bob sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanY View Post

anyway, i'm considering the a-line bob. (any general hospital fans? georgie currently has this cut. it's a bob but the front pieces are longer than the back). i can't find any good picturess of this cut! well, especially since i want it to be "edgier" than what is typical......i'd like there to be a more drastic difference between the front and back.

Don't really know what she looks like, but I know what you mean about the "edgy" look you're going for... that's how I liked mine!

Quote:

aside from needing a picture, i'm wondering if anyone here has this cut and can tell me what you're results have been like based on what type of hair you have?

I have a few old pictures of me with the Bob, granted, none of them are at great angles and they were taken at various lengths and various degrees of shagginess/needing a trim, lol.

Hair1

Hair2

Hair3

Hair4

I also found this, not sure if the back/front is drastic enough for what you're looking for...

Bob!

Errmm... my hair is straight and fine, yet dense. If that makes sense. For me, the bob was extremely easy to take care of and style. I would usually blow-dry the front with a round brush to get it straight and for the back, just turn upside down and brush it straight while blow-drying. I would either wear it plain like that, or put a little pomade or what have you in the back to make all the choppy pieces and layers spike out in all different directions. That hair was so fun...

Quote:

i have had waistlength hair for years so this will be a HUGE switch for me. with that said, i'd even welcome stories from anyone who's parted with long hair after a long time!

thanks.

Yeah, holy crap. I'm in the opposite situation and the thought of cutting my hair now (about 3-4 inches from waist length) is just plain scary. My hair is my security blanket, lol. So I have no advice to offer for that, but I commend you for being brave enough to do it! Don't let me discourage you, I definitely recommend going for the bob... the drastic change might take a little getting used to, but I think you'll love it! If I can lose enough weight, one of the first things I'm going to do to "celebrate" is to get my bob back! But for now, I just look like a pinhead with short hair so I'm going along with the whole "the bigger the hair, the smaller the hips" philosophy, lol. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

Hey! I had that hairstyle for the longest time. I loved it, it was probably my favorite hair ever. I've been growing out my hair for the past few years, but I still miss that Bob sometimes...

Don't really know what she looks like, but I know what you mean about the "edgy" look you're going for... that's how I liked mine!

I have a few old pictures of me with the Bob, granted, none of them are at great angles and they were taken at various lengths and various degrees of shagginess/needing a trim, lol.

Hair1

Hair2

Hair3

Hair4

I also found this, not sure if the back/front is drastic enough for what you're looking for...

Bob!

great post, thanks. i see your style is much like mine (freaky rocker chick : ) so i've got to ask what do you use to color your hair? i've never had luck on my own getting the colors so deep as what you've gotten. the purple especially rocks.

the "drastic" one you refer to is a more along the lines of what i'm going for but not so "polished". maybe combine that with some razorblade layers or something.
#5 Old 05-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

My hair style is dull.

I'm not sure you can do anything cool like that with it because it's very curly.

ETA: A good friend of mine has that cut, I really like it.
#6 Old 05-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought they were called asymmetric bobs? Well, whatever they're called.. i really like them, especially when they're longer. I was wanting this done a few months ago, but bottled it, cos i've only just grown my hair half way down my back. I still think about getting it done though! How long is your hair now? Is it still waistlengh? What's the texture of your hair like? That's another reason i worried, because mine is quite wavy, and it's even more wavy when it's short, so with that style i'd have to permanantly straighten it (it looks best poker straight imo).
#7 Old 05-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

is this where we post about hair?

Have you considered donating your hair to organizations such as locks of love? That might make the change easier, since you also know you're giving your abundant hair to someone who has none (or very little).
#8 Old 05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

I had my hair in a bob like that for about 5 years. I liked it a lot, although looking back, I don't really like how it looked on me unless I styled it.... it would curl any which way otherwise (I have straight but unruly hair - lol - it has a bit of wave to it.) Its a pretty low maint. hairstyle, but for the best results, you do need to style it every day. I have *long* hair now (about a quarter of the way down my back) - everyone says it looks much better on me - the weight of my hair keeps it straight and "sexy" now (as one of my co-workers recently told me, lol.)
#9 Old 05-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

How long is your hair now? Is it still waistlengh? What's the texture of your hair like? That's another reason i worried, because mine is quite wavy, and it's even more wavy when it's short, so with that style i'd have to permanantly straighten it (it looks best poker straight imo).

it's waistlength. sometimes i hate the thought of parting with it but i just want the change so bad. this concern you mention, however is absolutely (!) my concern.....it tends to get wavier the shorter it is and i agree this style looks best straight.
#10 Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post

Have you considered donating your hair to organizations such as locks of love? That might make the change easier, since you also know you're giving your abundant hair to someone who has none (or very little).

it certainly would. thanks for the input
#11 Old 05-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

My stylist calls them 'inverted' bobs. Ask the stylist to use a razor for the whole cut and you'll get some nice flippy pieces. And, if you use product, get some medium waxy stuff (like Redken's Rough Paste--not an animal friendly product itself, though) to separate the pieces even more. I had this style until just recently (the back was stacked quite dramatically) and loved it! But I'm growing my hair out now--can never keep one look too long.
#12 Old 05-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Beginner

That's my haircut! I love it. I had long hair as a kid, but I cut it in 7th grade (a hundred years ago). I'd never go back. It dries super quick and is easy to style. Or you can just brush it and go.
#13 Old 05-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I had an a-line bob (with red streaks) in University and loved it. It's a great cut.
#14 Old 05-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I've also had this bob and I loved it!

It was super easy to take care of, but I have opposite hair to most of you guys. Mine gets wavier the longer it gets. When it's short like that, it's pretty straight!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#15 Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 AM

=)
#16 Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

i've had this cut before, and i relaly liked it.

i had a very extreme A-line (and it's sometimes called the 'reverse a-line bob) where the back was trimmed up (layered) to the bottom of my skull and the front was nearly shoulder length. i could wear this in a pony tail, pulled back into two pig tails, braids, etc--it was fun. i was 18-20 at the time.

i've had less severe ones of different lengths, the least severe being one that was at the top of my neck in the back (well below the occip. bone in the skull) and the front was chin length. not as easy for pony tail and stuff. but easy styling overall--considering i never had to style it.

and i've had longer versions all around.

anway, i like this cut, and it will likely be my next style when my hair grows out again. (i had dreadlocks until may, when i cut them off; and i'm currently growing my hair out.)

i have curly, blonde hair. it looks good. it's not as "sharp" as it looks with straight hair (which i love--i love the look with straight hair. so modern and clean!), but i love my curls and wouldn't straighten them.
#17 Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 PM

That thread is over a year old.
#18 Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

drat! i hate it when that happens. i try to look first. crazy unregistered people resurrecting old threads.

hey, did the OP ever get this cut?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page