Daily Protein? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 AM

I'm 15 years old I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years and have started to look back on my diet recently. I seem to be getting enough protein, (35-50g daily) but most of it seems to come from my breakfast. I usually eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch with a protein boost smoothie kind of deal. This alone is about 30g, and I was wondering if it is okay for the majority of my DV of protein to come at one time. Should I try to spread it out more throughout my lunch and dinner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

i would try to spread out protein throughout the day and not rely so heavily on a protein shake to get your protein. too much protein at one time taxes your kidneys as it processes... you can find protein in beans, whole grains, tofu, seitan, nuts, nut butters, tempeh, quinoa, lentils.. just eat enough variety (not just fruits and veggies), and enough calories every day and you'll get adequate protein!
#3 Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

yea i agree. maybe you could do the protein shake as a snack in the afternoon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2006, 01:44 PM

Cool. Thanks.
#5 Old 04-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

I'm a little concerned about your diet if you are getting most of your protein from a shake? Can you give us a run-down about what you eat on a typical day? (give a few daily menus.)
#6 Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't say that the shake thing is the majority of my protein..It's about 8-10g, maybe.

Well for breakfast, I'm usually pretty hungry, so I'll eat 1-1/2 to 2 bowls of Kashi, scrambled eggs, or 2 Kashi brand waffles. For lunch, I buy a sub from my school cafeteria with some veggies and a little bit of cheese. My dinner changes a lot. I eat a lot of Morningstar Farms products, Boca burgers, tofu, beans and rice, pasta, those types of things.
#7 Old 04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

you probably don't even need protein shakes, to be honest, if you are eating enough calories.. what idd you eat yesterday?
#8 Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 PM

The shake is more to ease my mother's mind than anything else. She's worried about how my vegetarianism might affect my "growth and development"..

Yesterday wasn't the most healthy day..I slept through breakfast, but I had a Linda McCartney brand "chicken", rice, and veggie dish with some grapes and yellow bell peppers, a yogurt and Frappuccino for a snack, then this tofu, peapods, broccoli, and rice dice from my local Chinese restaurant.
#9 Old 05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlk25 View Post

The shake is more to ease my mother's mind than anything else. She's worried about how my vegetarianism might affect my "growth and development"..

Don't worry about protein, if you eat a mixed diet that contains enough calories it is hard to fall short of protein. I agree, it's a good idea to ease your mother's mind with the shake, omnis normally think of protein when it comes to the imagined hazards of veg*nism. Actually, it isn't a hazard!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#10 Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlk25 View Post

I wouldn't say that the shake thing is the majority of my protein..It's about 8-10g, maybe.

Well for breakfast, I'm usually pretty hungry, so I'll eat 1-1/2 to 2 bowls of Kashi, scrambled eggs, or 2 Kashi brand waffles. For lunch, I buy a sub from my school cafeteria with some veggies and a little bit of cheese. My dinner changes a lot. I eat a lot of Morningstar Farms products, Boca burgers, tofu, beans and rice, pasta, those types of things.

It sounds like you're getting a lot more protein than you think you are.
#11 Old 05-01-2006, 02:19 PM

It's better now than it used to be. I went through a slump for a couple months a while ago where most of my diet was processed foods and eating out..But I think it's all good now.

Thanks, everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page